ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brazilian-British move to Germany and applying for citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

juso73

Brazilian-British move to Germany and applying for citizenship

Post by juso73 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Dear all,
I have both a Brazilian and British passport and am looking to move to Germany with my German wife before 31/01/2020. I have lived there before (2002vto 2004) and held residency based on being a dependant of my wife and on my Brazilian passport. I have since lived in the UK and acquired nationality in 2010. My question is: should I register in Germany with my Brazilian or UK passport? Ideally I'd like to keep both passports and potentially obtain the German too after 3 years. Keeping the Brazilian passport isn't a problem as the country doesn't require their citizens to give up nationality but what about the UK one given that it will be considered a third country after 31/01/2020? Will I definitely have to give that up or is there a way around it? If I go down the Brazilian route should I make them aware of my UK passport or just keep that out of it? We have several properties in the UK so would need to be able to retain our links. Thanks for your support.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Brazilian-British move to Germany and applying for citizenship

Post by ALKB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm

juso73 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 pm
Dear all,
I have both a Brazilian and British passport and am looking to move to Germany with my German wife before 31/01/2020. I have lived there before (2002vto 2004) and held residency based on being a dependant of my wife and on my Brazilian passport. I have since lived in the UK and acquired nationality in 2010. My question is: should I register in Germany with my Brazilian or UK passport? Ideally I'd like to keep both passports and potentially obtain the German too after 3 years. Keeping the Brazilian passport isn't a problem as the country doesn't require their citizens to give up nationality but what about the UK one given that it will be considered a third country after 31/01/2020? Will I definitely have to give that up or is there a way around it? If I go down the Brazilian route should I make them aware of my UK passport or just keep that out of it? We have several properties in the UK so would need to be able to retain our links. Thanks for your support.
You have to disclose any nationalities you hold.

Regardless of how Brazil and the UK view multiple nationalities, Germany does not permit multiple nationalities unless the countries do not allow renunciation or the nationality is an EU one - which neither Brazil nor the UK will be by the time you are eligible for naturalisation in Germany.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.