ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap in Irish residency when applying for citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marcellogoiaba
Newly Registered
Brazil

Gap in Irish residency when applying for citizenship

Post by marcellogoiaba » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 pm

Has anyone heard of or experienced Irish Immigration showing leniency in exceeding the 90 days break in residency stamps. Will my application be rejected outright or is there a vehicle for arguing my circumstances?

The situation was
My stamp 4 visa expired in september 5th 2018 as my passport expired on that date.
The Brazilian embassy delayed to send me the new passport and I couldn't get an appointment with Immigration in Dublin.
The earliest appointment I managed to get was on 27th December 2018. I had been trying to get an appointment every day, but there was never any available. By the end of November I found out that you could buy appointments from third party company on facebook and that's how I managed to get one.

I am applying for Citizenship through marriage and hoping to prove 3 years of stamps. I am resident in the country 12 years.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Re: Gap in Irish residency when applying for citizenship

Post by Vorona » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:45 pm

Although you meet the residency requirement, a gap of more than 90 days between residency permissions is a very serious one. This basically means that you were living in the country illegaly and I would be more concerned about your status rather that the outcome of citizenship application.

However, as you've managed to get a renewal after getting a new passport, you might want to try to provide an explanation and a proof for the gap if you decide to apply.

MantisToboggan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Gap in Irish residency when applying for citizenship

Post by MantisToboggan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:11 pm

If you've been resident for 12 years, for an ordinary application you need to show the last year continuous and four other years from the previous eight.

That shouldn't be a problem