ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship based on Irish children

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Irish Citizenship based on Irish children

Post by GoWentGone123 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:25 am

Guys looking for guidance on citizenship application. Not starting a new though it may be warranted.
Non-EU dependant on spouse, married to Non-EU, in Ireland legally for more than 3 years and has 2 children who have Irish citizenship by birth, both born in Ireland after their arrival. Can she apply for Irish citizenship on basis of her children? She has never worked in Ireland and had been dependant on her spouse and is on stamp 3. Thanks for your advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Irish Citizenship based on Irish children

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 am

Please do not post queries like this in the ceremony delay topic. Post split to your own topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 am

Thank you. I wasn't confident starting a new thread. Looking for advice now.

CAF1986
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by CAF1986 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Hi, short answer, Yes. I applied after 3 residency on the basis of having 2 Irish children born in Ireland.

However! It has been 2.5 years since I applied and I have only just heard from the department. If you read forums about applying after 3 years based on Irish association, you will commonly read about people suggesting they will not look at your application until you pass the 5 years resident mark. This appears true again for my application.

So I would recommend waiting until 5 years of residency and make the application a simpler process.

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:46 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. I wonder if this is an accepted route of naturalisation then why would they delay applications or create ambiguity. Doesn't makes sense to me.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 pm

I have advised the same based on my friend’s clients’ stories and also based on quite a number of people’s experiences here.

The only bulletproof 3-year naturalisation route is via marriage with an Irish citizen or being a recognised refugee. Applications based on Irish associations are like a back door for the rich and powerful, not for ordinary persons.

If they really want to allow 3-year naturalisation by having an Irish child, they would have explicitly said that. There is a reason that they only say 3-year marriage with an Irish spouse or being a refugee.

You can of course submit your application after having just 3 years (or even when you have none) residency if you claim Irish associations. It’s just going to take longer, and in many cases, way longer than the average applications.

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 am

littlerr wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:43 pm
I have advised the same based on my friend’s clients’ stories and also based on quite a number of people’s experiences here.

The only bulletproof 3-year naturalisation route is via marriage with an Irish citizen or being a recognised refugee. Applications based on Irish associations are like a back door for the rich and powerful, not for ordinary persons.

If they really want to allow 3-year naturalisation by having an Irish child, they would have explicitly said that. There is a reason that they only say 3-year marriage with an Irish spouse or being a refugee.

You can of course submit your application after having just 3 years (or even when you have none) residency if you claim Irish associations. It’s just going to take longer, and in many cases, way longer than the average applications.
I was hoping my application via Irish Associations would be an interesting test case as my mother is Irish by FBR. I applied after four years of residency.

Whilst you are correct I think a claim to Irish Association is much stronger from descent rather than an Irish born child. From what I see most of the applications are from South Asian's with Irish children which to be honest is pushing it a bit. Someone like myself who is of genuine Irish descent, I believe has a much stronger case to apply under this route.

I get the feeling with all the delays I will just end up getting dealt with after the five years anyway now so will probably never know!

wade200000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wade200000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:10 am

Hi everyone, I recently applied for my irish naturalisation through my irish born child, in February this year, my passport was returned to me a week later, but I haven't heard anything back from them, my reconable years as passed 6years before my application, but my permit card will expire at the end of this month, also my Visa,and I'm worried if I do not hear back from the justice minister, before the expiration of my stay,what should happen, or I'm I still allowed to renew, my GNIB card even though I have used all my 6 year renwer period, or dont need a renwer as its going to cost me another 300€.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am

Shakey wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 am
Whilst you are correct I think a claim to Irish Association is much stronger from descent rather than an Irish born child. From what I see most of the applications are from South Asian's with Irish children which to be honest is pushing it a bit. Someone like myself who is of genuine Irish descent, I believe has a much stronger case to apply under this route.
Yes this makes sense. Citizenship by descent is naturally more convincing than claiming association based on an Irish child born to non-Irish residents.

Ultimately the problem is that there is no clear categorisation methods in INIS (not public anyway). Nobody knows how they determine whether a case is strong enough and how/why they would delay certain cases for years. We are all speculating based on what we see and hear.

Maybe there are many successful and quick cases, but at least I have not heard of any. I would always advise against claiming citizenship based on Irish associations, especially based on Irish child.

Shelter
Pakistan

Post by Shelter » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:48 am

CAF1986 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:26 pm
Hi, short answer, Yes. I applied after 3 residency on the basis of having 2 Irish children born in Ireland.

However! It has been 2.5 years since I applied and I have only just heard from the department. If you read forums about applying after 3 years based on Irish association, you will commonly read about people suggesting they will not look at your application until you pass the 5 years resident mark. This appears true again for my application.

So I would recommend waiting until 5 years of residency and make the application a simpler process.

I think u r rite I applied citizenship based on Irish association and got 2nd stage letter in 6 months ..and since then just same stupid copy and paste emails..looks like they intentionally delaying....well now I have spent over 5 years on stamp 4 ..let's see how long more they gona take now ..

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:57 am

wade200000 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:10 am
Hi everyone, I recently applied for my irish naturalisation through my irish born child, in February this year, my passport was returned to me a week later, but I haven't heard anything back from them, my reconable years as passed 6years before my application, but my permit card will expire at the end of this month, also my Visa,and I'm worried if I do not hear back from the justice minister, before the expiration of my stay,what should happen, or I'm I still allowed to renew, my GNIB card even though I have used all my 6 year renwer period, or dont need a renwer as its going to cost me another 300€.
You only applied in Feb. With all the delays this year, your chance of getting approved in this year is really slim, leaving alone this month.

I don’t understand why you can’t renew your IRP. Is your child still living in Ireland?

wade200000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wade200000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks for swift reply, yes my daughter still in here in ireland and leaving with me, is it necessary for me to renew my GNIB, because I will be illegal resident at the end of the month, when my stay visa expired.?

GoWentGone123
Mood:
Ireland

Post by GoWentGone123 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:29 pm

For obvious reasons, you need to renew your IRP.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:46 pm

wade200000 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 pm
Thanks for swift reply, yes my daughter still in here in ireland and leaving with me, is it necessary for me to renew my GNIB, because I will be illegal resident at the end of the month, when my stay visa expired.?
Yes.
Just to clarify, you do not need a visa to live in Ireland. You need a new IRP card, which is a registration certificate. Depending on whether you live in Dublin, you should use the online renewal or arrange for an appointment with your local Garda station.

You are required to have a valid permission even after your citizenship application is approved. You are required to have this permission until you attend the citizenship ceremony.

wade200000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wade200000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 pm

Thank you so much for the reply, I'm doing that right away, I already registered online, but the website is down.

wade200000
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wade200000 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks a lot, I have just submitted the application now, 300€ unexpectedly, but it worth it.

Shakey

Post by Shakey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:10 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 am
Shakey wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:18 am

Maybe there are many successful and quick cases, but at least I have not heard of any. I would always advise against claiming citizenship based on Irish associations, especially based on Irish child.
I think the main advantage of Irish Associations is that the citizenship can not be stripped away under the seven year out of Ireland rule unlike other naturalisation cases. Whilst I have never heard of anyone being stripped for this reason the law is in place and it might at some point get stumbled upon by a Minister.