ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

foreign license extension due to COVID19

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

saravana1980
Newly Registered

foreign license extension due to COVID19

Post by saravana1980 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:16 am

Hi all

I was driving with Indian license and unfortunately due to covid-19 I could not get UK license before June 1 st 2020 (1 year grace period to drive). In this case, whether government will extend the time to drive using foreign licenses (currently DVLA is closed for non key workers). Any idea about this. please share!!

Thanks

Kumar

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: foreign license extension due to COVID19

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 am

No extension to this.

You have to apply for a Provisional licence and then do the driving licence test. If you can't do this online now, you won't be able to drive.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anrg
Newly Registered
India

Post by anrg » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm

In this very situation. I have an additional question related to this.

I first came to the UK in August 2019. But in March 2020 I changed my visa category and had to leave the UK and apply for it. So question is will my 1 year allowed time to drive restart from March 2020 to March 2021?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:50 pm

anrg wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:51 pm
In this very situation. I have an additional question related to this.

I first came to the UK in August 2019. But in March 2020 I changed my visa category and had to leave the UK and apply for it. So question is will my 1 year allowed time to drive restart from March 2020 to March 2021?
No.

SKJ1984
India

Post by SKJ1984 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm

If you have went out of the country and changed your visa, then your overseas license new 1 year period starts from the new visa date. I have validated this with insurance companies and DVLA. Several ICT Short Term to Long Term visa change use this to drive in their first year of long term visa.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:33 pm

SKJ1984 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm
If you have went out of the country and changed your visa, then your overseas license new 1 year period starts from the new visa date. I have validated this with insurance companies and DVLA. Several ICT Short Term to Long Term visa change use this to drive in their first year of long term visa.
You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident
https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

This does not reset to zero because you had to leave the UK to get another visa.

Your insurance is invalid if you do not have a valid licence.

SKJ1984
India

Post by SKJ1984 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:22 pm

I too had the same view as you. But that is not the case in reality. Insurers have been insuring cars for overseas DL resetting the clock for every visa type change (Not Extension). Rental car companies are providing cars for 12 months after you change the visa type. (Especially from ICT short term to long Term or ICT Short term to next short term with cooling off)

I think the response from DVLA was very generic when I first inquired about that 2014. I became resident in 2011 and exhausted my 12 months by then, I kept driving with overseas license till 2016 with multiple ICT visa changes. (Had no issues in renting cars with my overseas DL).

Any idea about students? Students in Tier4 when changing to Tier2 again claim 12 months (Insurers have been insuring this - I am against this as they have not even went out of country)

Now one thing which I do not know for certain :D is when all these cases actually go for a claim, will it be successful? Will insurers repudiate?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am

SKJ1984 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:22 pm
I became resident in 2011 and exhausted my 12 months by then, I kept driving with overseas license till 2016 with multiple ICT visa changes. (Had no issues in renting cars with my overseas DL).
That seems to be a big risk you have taken, just for the sake of not learning to pass the UK driving test.

I would also be concerned with the offence of driving not in accordance with the licence. The courts deal with these offenders, with the result that this would fail a Good Character assessment for a set time. That set time could affect any immigration hopes they have.

SKJ1984
India

Post by SKJ1984 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am

True. I might have been lucky. I never owned a vehicle till I got my full license. I always drive with zero excess full coverage insurance with rental companies with overseas license. Atleast that sets you free in case of any material damage.

Again whatever I said is still happening. People complete 12 months cooling in ICT and come back and drive for next 1 year.
Students completing 1 year switch to other visa category and continue for next 1 year. I hope insurance companies should be strict in evaluating this and not issue insurance. Just insuring everyone makes them feel they are complying the law which is not true.