ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are NHS workers on spouse visa also exempt from IHS

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Naaasheley
Newly Registered

Are NHS workers on spouse visa also exempt from IHS

Post by Naaasheley » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi all,

Since government announced that NHS and care workers should be exempt from IHS, I want to know if this is only for NHS workers on tier visa. Does this include NHS workers on spouse visa as well?

Thank you

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Are NHS workers on spouse visa also exempt from IHS

Post by seagul » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Naaasheley wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm
. Does this include NHS workers on spouse visa as well?

Thank you
It applies to all but no one yet shared its experience of really being exempted or refunded.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

gdenzilg
Zimbabwe

Post by gdenzilg » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am

Any update on this?

Also my job is not covered under Annexure D: Health and Care Workers for the Health and Care Visa.
will i also be eligible for the refund and can my dependents be exempt from paying IHS?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:37 am

gdenzilg wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am
Also my job is not covered under Annexure D: Health and Care Workers for the Health and Care Visa.
will i also be eligible for the refund and can my dependents be exempt from paying IHS?
There is still not a lot of official information about this that I am aware of. The government page below would suggest that the eligibility requirements for an exemption are: being a qualified doctor, nurse or other health professional (or their dependant) and/or sponsored by the NHS, an organisation providing medical services to the NHS or an organisation providing adult social care. It would seem the exemption and any refunds for fees paid would not apply to those on family visas, though it is entirely possible there is further guidance on this that has not yet been published that will change this. What the government said and what they are doing seem to be a bit different on this issue and it all seems a little unclear.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigrati ... -needs-pay
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:48 am

gdenzilg wrote:
Any update on this?

1. Please do NOT tag onto other members topics that are not relevant to your circumstances.

2. Please post in the Tier 2 sub forum as that is the visa category you hold. This forum where you have tagged onto is for the Spouse of Settled/British citizens and NOT the PBS route applicants.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm

Media factsheet: Immigration Health Surcharge
The Prime Minister announced that all NHS workers, health and social care staff would now be exempted from the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:12 pm

gdenzilg wrote:
Any update on this?

I doubt that any agency/subcontractor worker (if not directly employed by NHS) would fall under the ambit of this exemption.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:30 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm
The Prime Minister announced that all NHS workers, health and social care staff would now be exempted from the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).
I would suggest that it appears what the Prime Minister has said and what the government has done (based on currently available official guidance) is slightly different with regards to the IHS exemption.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:44 pm

In my view that announcement is still limited to theory only which perhaps was mainly intended to ephemerally silence to the media and the rival parties.
Following a recent change of policy, the Government now intends to exempt NHS and care workers from the IHS in the future, although it has not yet confirmed when this will take effect
https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... /cbp-7274/

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:46 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:49 pm
Prime Ministerial announcements are not and do not make law.

We'll have to see what the Statutory Instrument (SI) implementing the announcement states, when such SI is published.

There is often many a slip betwixt cup and lip. Or in quintessentially English terms, Mind The Gap (between the announcement and the law).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.