ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel abroad after I receive approval letter for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jessy190523
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Travel abroad after I receive approval letter for citizenship

Post by jessy190523 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi guys,

First time asking question here. Apologies if there are same questions being answered already. Some background information: I received an approval letter for my British citizenship application today, however I'm unable to book the ceremony due to the circumstance. I booked flight to leave the UK for a few weeks to see my family this coming weekend knowing you are still allowed to travel when your citizenship application is pending. Totally didn't expect the decision would be made this soon (I only gave my biometric info last week) and thought I can travel while my application was pending. My understanding is that I'm not a British citizen until I attend the ceremony, thus I can still travel with my existing ILR and valid passport. Is it correct? Just to be sure I called the home office customer service but the lady told me that my current ILR BRP is automatically invalid as soon as I get my citizenship application approved (she said it means I'm a British citizen already) and I should call the border control at the airport to double check that I can still travel. I think this is not correct so want to check here. I have also emailed home office about this but not sure when I will hear back.

Thanks in advance!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Travel abroad after I receive approval letter for citizenship

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm

jessy190523 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm
Hi guys,

First time asking question here. Apologies if there are same questions being answered already. Some background information: I received an approval letter for my British citizenship application today, however I'm unable to book the ceremony due to the circumstance. I booked flight to leave the UK for a few weeks to see my family this coming weekend knowing you are still allowed to travel when your citizenship application is pending. Totally didn't expect the decision would be made this soon (I only gave my biometric info last week) and thought I can travel while my application was pending. My understanding is that I'm not a British citizen until I attend the ceremony, thus I can still travel with my existing ILR and valid passport. Is it correct? Just to be sure I called the home office customer service but the lady told me that my current ILR BRP is automatically invalid as soon as I get my citizenship application approved (she said it means I'm a British citizen already) and I should call the border control at the airport to double check that I can still travel. I think this is not correct so want to check here. I have also emailed home office about this but not sure when I will hear back.

Thanks in advance!
You are free to travel. You will only become British once you attend the ceremony. You can travel using your current BRP before that.

You are required to return your BRP within 5 days after the ceremony.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jessy190523
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Re: Travel abroad after I receive approval letter for citizenship

Post by jessy190523 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm
jessy190523 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:06 pm
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
You are free to travel. You will only become British once you attend the ceremony. You can travel using your current BRP before that.

You are required to return your BRP within 5 days after the ceremony.

Thanks so much for your quick reply!! Really appreciate it.