ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can't get married until after my visa expires

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hearingthewind
Newly Registered
Wales

Can't get married until after my visa expires

Post by hearingthewind » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:52 am

Hi all,

First post here, sorry if there's any mistakes.

I'm an American in the UK on a Tier 4 student visa, but my partner (British citizen) and I want to get a civil partnership. However, because of COVID (ugh) we can't get an appointment to give notice our our local registry office until 22 Sept, so our ceremony would be in late October at the earliest. But my visa ends 30 Sept. I've already completed most of the application form and collected all the other documents. I'm just wondering if it's worth sending the application before we're officially married or if there's another route I should take. I'm also concerned about if any of the documents are time-sensitive, if giving notice so late would mess everything up.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks everyone!

geoeng
Canada

Re: Can't get married until after my visa expires

Post by geoeng » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 am

Any chance you've been living in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years? Another possibility would be getting such a partnership in another country where these are legally done and may not have the same notification requirements as the UK (unfortunately I'm not very familiar with this process in the UK or overseas so can't help with which countries these may be).

Details on the current visa changes due to coronavirus are at the link below, but on a quick scan I don't see anything that might be helpful in your situation but perhaps you might see something.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -residents
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

StuartG
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Can't get married until after my visa expires

Post by StuartG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Another option is to try different nearby registry offices until you find one which will see you sooner and have the service sooner.
Would mean the civil partnership ceremony would need to take place in the same region as the registry office you registered the service with however.