ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Dependents on Tier 5 YM

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

British Dependents on Tier 5 YM

Post by Petrie91 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:27 pm

My family and I are relocating to the UK in the coming months. Both my Partner and Daugther are British citizens however I am Australian. As we do not meet the financial requirements (62K+ GBP), I am sadly not able to apply for a spouse visa.

I am however eligible for a Tier 5 YM visa and have been advised that as my daughter is British, she would not be classified as a 'dependent' as she will not be needing to utilise my visa status.

Can anyone please confirm the correct process for this application? During the application it is asking if I have financial depends (travelling with or without). Confused as to whether I should be selecting Yes or No.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Dependents on Tier 5 YM

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:20 am

That would be correct yes.

The financial requirment for a spouse visa has different options that you could meet. It is not simply a large amount of savings only.

Your spouse can use overseas income if it meets the £18,600pa requirements AND he has a jibe offer at the same salary level or higher to start in the UK within 3 months of arrival.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Petrie91 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks for the response. However I may need to clarify further..

My partner (mother of my daughter) is based in Australia with me and currently doesn’t work. She also won’t be taking up work when we head to the UK, hence our only option is to meet the savings threshold.

Once I have hopefully been in the UK on a TIER 5 YM, we can then apply for a spouse visa based on my income after 3 or so months.

My question however is how to apply for the Tier 5 YM. do I declare that I have a dependent but somehow mention they are a British citizen? Little confused as to how I should apply

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 am

Once I have hopefully been in the UK on a TIER 5 YM, we can then apply for a spouse visa based on my income after 3 or so months.
You would a minimum of 6 months employment, payslips and bank statements to meet the financial requirment for a spouse visa.
My question however is how to apply for the Tier 5 YM. do I declare that I have a dependent but somehow mention they are a British citizen? Little confused as to how I should apply
You need to complete the forum questions honestly. You can add a brief covering letter with an explanation that the child is British. It will have no effect on your application provided you are within the age range, ie under 31 and meet all the other requirements for tier 5 YMS.

Do you have a UK born grandparent by any chance?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Petrie91 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you! That is super helpful.

Will make sure to provide further details in a cover letter.

Sadly I don’t have a British grandparent.. life could have been much easier! I have had a Scottish step father for the last 23 years or so though but assuming as he didn’t adopt me and/or has not returned to the UK to live in this time, I can not gain anything through him? My mother has not gained UK citizenship during this time also ... so it seems Tier 5 YM is my only hope.

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:21 am

Ahhh, pity as the ancestry visa is the easiest visa to get too.

Nothing to be gained by the British step parent unfortunately. Your mother cannot gain British citizenship through marriage anyway if she has not lived in the uk for 5 years and obtain Permanent Residence first.

Tier 5 YMS it is then :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Petrie91 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:40 am

Thought as much...shame. But thanks again for the help.

The cover letter with an added explanation around the dependent has put my mind at ease!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:55 am

Good luck and if you have any further questions, please do post in this topic and ask.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:02 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 am
You can add a brief covering letter with an explanation that the child is British. It will have no effect on your application provided you are within the age range, ie under 31 and meet all the other requirements for tier 5 YMS.
Is that for sure? Paragraph 245ZK has the requirement about not being responsible for any children, apparently separately from not being able to bring dependants on the visa.

(f) The applicant must have no children under the age of 18 who are either living with him or for whom he is financially responsible;

The Policy Guidance and Modernised Guidance don't elaborate unfortunately.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Petrie91 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:19 am

This was my concern.. I had so many conflicting message from multiple Immigration lawyers, however a few finally confirmed that if your Dependents are British Citizens, you can by-pass this situation.

Very hard to find more information as you are correct, there really isn't much elaboration on the true meaning of that requirement... It also doesn't seem to be a frequently used method to get into the UK hence why I was keen to jump on this forum.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 am

What type of work do you do?? Have you thought of trying to find a job and tier 2 sponsor?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Petrie91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Petrie91 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:28 am

I work in Software Sales and that was my desired route as that would also lead to ILR ..

However due to Covid, my Employer has delayed all international transfers/sponsorships until early to mid next year and sadly for personal reasons, I am needing to get over a lot sooner than that.

So my back up is Tier 5 YM before moving onto a Spouse visa after a period of time.