ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

LA8887

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by LA8887 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:36 pm

So entitled and wrong.

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:40 am
[quote=ripforreallldo post_id=<a href="tel:1920536">1920536</a> time=<a href="tel:1596702449">1596702449</a> user_id=237348]
Finally got through to the web chat to ask about FBR and the status of already submitted applications:

“We don’t know. The ever changing state of the pandemic has made it impossible to give an exact date of when the office will reopen. All we can advise is to keep checking the website for updates”

I know Ireland has entered Phase 4 already so I’m not sure why this seems to be the only office in the country that’s closed :roll: I did read an article that said there are currently 27,000 of us in limbo. I will try to stop checking so obsessively and give positive vibes from here on out
No. Ireland has not entered Phase 4. It has been pushed back twice now due to a resurgence in cases, especially among young people. The new date for Phase 4 is 31 August.

Priority cases continue to be processed, although there is an increasingly large backlog.
[/quote]

thanks for the info! i didn’t know they kept pushing it back. really appreciate you being polite!!

saddleback
Israel

Post by saddleback » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi everyone

My second daughter needs to apply for FBR under very different conditions compared to ones applied under on behalf of the first daughter (it took us 2 weeks to get FBR certificate in 2018 via Moscow embassy).

Is there a list of 'compelling conditions' under which FBR applications are currently considered? We are kinda in limbo as by the sound of it, the visa that can be issued to my daughter (travelling on a non-EU passport in the absence of an Irish passport) will not be valid after 31/12/2020. I am hoping for a slightest chance that we may fit into one of these 'compelling conditions' category to be considered. Please suggest, Cheers.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:27 pm

saddleback wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm
Hi everyone

My second daughter needs to apply for FBR under very different conditions compared to ones applied under on behalf of the first daughter (it took us 2 weeks to get FBR certificate in 2018 via Moscow embassy).

Is there a list of 'compelling conditions' under which FBR applications are currently considered? We are kinda in limbo as by the sound of it, the visa that can be issued to my daughter (travelling on a non-EU passport in the absence of an Irish passport) will not be valid after 31/12/2020. I am hoping for a slightest chance that we may fit into one of these 'compelling conditions' category to be considered. Please suggest, Cheers.
As far as I’m aware the only situation that expedites an FBR application is in the case of pregnancy.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi all

Long time lurker here and I'm talking pre-Brexit referendum lurker! I finally got around to getting all the documents off my mom for the FBR application when the department shut down. Unfortunately, it took so long to get all the information and documents off my mom because she just didn't see any rush in the process and didn't believe that it would actually take as long as the dfa claim. This meant that by the time I managed to get everything together the pandemic happened.

I would normally be very happy to wait it out as I've been waiting to get the process started for years. However, I'm moving to Spain next month for a year so want to submit my application before I go as I won't have any proofs of address for a long while, nor will I be hanging around long enough to actually receive my certificate whilst I'm out there. I just assumed they weren't accepting any applications through the post at the moment. But, when sending to Balbriggan, they are sent to a PO box so it shouldn't matter whether the office is open or not. So, does anyone know whether I could fill the application out now and send it in on the understanding that it will just be sitting in a pile for longer than usual or do I have to wait basically a whole other year until I'm back home before I can apply (assuming the office has opened by then that is)?

Thanks

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:46 am

saddleback wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm
Hi everyone

As mentioned above, the only expedite process is for a pregnant mother. From looking at your previous posts, your children are very young? So if there is an urgent need for you to travel within the EU is it possible for your family to avail yourselves of EU freedom of movement while you await your child's FBR certificate? Just trying to think of another option since the FBR backlog is so substantial.

Real Brexit Irishman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Real Brexit Irishman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:40 pm

:mrgreen: Update #2

FBR Certificate Received!! Only a few days after I got the confirmation & congratulations email! So excited.

Timeline so far:

Online application for FBR: April 13th 2019
Email confirmation of documents received: April 29th 2019.
Confirmation of address email: July 27th 2020
Congratulations email: August 4th 2020.
Certificate received: August 8th 2020.

Turns out I was added to FBR on July 27th 2020! Next step, passport application!

Hope everyone is hanging in there!

(The Real) Brexit Irishman

Bostonburns
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Bostonburns » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:44 pm

lostirishman wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 am
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

So excited to see that everyone's applications are starting to move along again! In my case, I think I'm in for a long wait.

Application submitted online: Jan 22nd, 2020

Application mailed from New York on Feb 14th, 2020

USPS reported as delivered in "IRELAND" on Feb 27th, 2020 at 6am.

Since then, nothing- not even documents received confirmation email- have checked spam and everything.

I am assuming that there is nothing I can do but wait- but was just wondering if there was anyone else in this situation? I'm also assuming that the application is ok, but was curious what others experiences had been!

Thanks all for running such a great resource for all us would-be Irish!
I also never heard anything from them. I mailed my documents in June, 2019 and never recieved an email. I didn't worry too much because I thought I had read that no comfirmation email would be sent. Curiosity got the best of me in December so I called the number listed on my application confirmation, and they were able to tell me that they had recieved everthing back in June, and it would be May, 2020 before I heard back. Unfortuantely Covid hit, so now I'm assumming October or November might be the earliest I hear anything. Good luck

James1308
Newly Registered

Post by James1308 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:31 am

LA8887 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:36 pm
So entitled and wrong.
I don't think it's entitled or wrong. It seems like a perfectly reasonable question: having paid a large sum of money I think people are entitled to ask why it's taking so long to re-open the Foreign Births Office.
I don't know why the FBO opening seems to be tied up in Phase 4 in any case. Phase 4 relates to holding large events and being able to open pubs with no requirement for them to serve food. There seems to be little reason why they can't progress with this, although I suppose their argument is that their staff have been re-deployed...

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Does anyone know what happens to an existing application when one of the people whose documents you used dies? I am applying through my Irish grandfather, who unfortunately will likely pass away within the next month or so.

Does this mean I will also need to submit a death certificate, since his driver’s license will no longer be valid? I would hate to wait 18+ months for the application to process (I applied 2/2020), only for it to be rejected or postponed because the documentation is no longer up to date.

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:06 am

I’m pretty sure they will reach out to you and request additional documentation, they may just say you have X amount of days to get it to us, so if I were you I would try to get a copy as soon as it happens! A bit morbid, but my point is I think you’ll be fine :) Sorry to hear he’s not in the best of shape but at least he’s providing you with an incredible opportunity and you’ll be able to carry on his heritage!

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:57 pm

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:41 pm
Does anyone know what happens to an existing application when one of the people whose documents you used dies? I am applying through my Irish grandfather, who unfortunately will likely pass away within the next month or so.

Does this mean I will also need to submit a death certificate, since his driver’s license will no longer be valid? I would hate to wait 18+ months for the application to process (I applied 2/2020), only for it to be rejected or postponed because the documentation is no longer up to date.
I might have the same issue as my son applied through descent from my Irish born mother, who has subsequently died since his pending application was submitted in July 2019. I’m working on the assumption that all the authorities are interested in is legitimate proof that the individual in question was actually born in Ireland, a fact which doesn’t change even after death. Sadly, because of the time taken, mum’s passport has expired too so I’m hoping they make allowances for this or I will have to send her death certificate which also confirms place of birth.

jove42
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by jove42 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:11 pm

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I don't think this will be a problem in regards to your FBR application, as you provided proper documentation at the time you applied. Assuming all your documentation is in order, the DFA would not have any reason to contact your grandfather, so they likely wouldn't even know about his passing.

A few years back, my brother applied for citizenship via the FBR through our mother and our Irish born grandfather. My mother passed away a few months later, before his application process had been completed, and as far as I know, there were no problems with it.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:12 am

I see on the DFA website they've now removed the address to contact the FBR team if you are an expectant parent. I wonder what that means?

SSIrishFF
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by SSIrishFF » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:12 am
I see on the DFA website they've now removed the address to contact the FBR team if you are an expectant parent. I wonder what that means?
I just sent in application to have application expedited due to my wife’s pregnancy. I submitted my application in August 2019. The mailing address that I sent it to is still on this website https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/ . So I’m not sure if you’re saying there is also an email address that I could also contact the FBR team by?

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:44 pm

I just sent in application to have application expedited due to my wife’s pregnancy. I submitted my application in August 2019. The mailing address that I sent it to is still on this website https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/ . So I’m not sure if you’re saying there is also an email address that I could also contact the FBR team by?
[/quote]

Hi SSIrishFF. I realised after I posted that I was being an idiot. I was on the wrong webpage. I tried to contact them today to see if they had received my letter with my wife's proof of pregnancy (An Post says it was delivered last week) but couldn't get through to anyone who could help me.

I am confused as it seems others have had success emailing in. I have emailed twice now in the last six weeks and had no response. I'm hoping it just all starts to happen behind the scenes. I applied in July 2020 so a similar waiting time to you. Just a little more patience is needed I guess!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:47 pm

SSIrishFF wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm
Hi SSIrishFF. I realised after I posted that I was being an idiot. I was on the wrong webpage. I tried to contact them today to see if they had received my letter with my wife's proof of pregnancy (An Post says it was delivered last week) but couldn't get through to anyone who could help me.

I am confused as it seems others have had success emailing in. I have emailed twice now in the last six weeks and had no response. I'm hoping it just all starts to happen behind the scenes. I applied in July 2020 so a similar waiting time to you. Just a little more patience is needed I guess!

SSIrishFF
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by SSIrishFF » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:39 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

No Worries, My wife is in her first trimester so I'm not sure if they'd expedite my application anyways. I'm hoping that I'll hear something by November/December but we'll see. Good luck to you, I hope you hear something soon.

LKB
Newly Registered

Post by LKB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I have all the documents I need to apply for FBR but having some trouble finding a suitable witness.
Is it ok the complete the online application and delay sending the witnessed form a documents until a few weeks later?
Having read the posts on here it seems that sometimes when the completed form is printed the list of acceptable witnesses is shorter that the list shown on the FBR website. It’s a bit more difficult finding someone on the shorter list.
Would be good to seethe wording regarding the witness before I complete the application.
I know I’m in for a long wait, congratulations to all you people who are nearing the end of this long journey.

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by cordatum » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 pm

@LKB

I wouldn't worry too much about having a bit of a delay between online application and sending the physical one, since many applications will have a delay due to postage anyway. I wouldn't leave it too long though, just in case.

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:46 am

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:47 pm
SSIrishFF wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi, I had great success by sending in a web inquiry here: https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... r-queries/
I noted my sister's pregnancy due date and asked to be pointed towards the best contact. A DFA officer got in touch via email the next day.

Cath23
Newly Registered

Post by Cath23 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:36 am

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the information posted here.

My application was received on 28/02/20 (simpler times!). I’m not expecting any progress with the application for well over a year at least, but I was wondering when to expect the return of the original documents.

Are they normally returned near the start of the process, or can it take a while even during normal times?

I don’t mind about my documents, but I do feel bad that my mum’s birth and marriage certificates are now trapped there.

Thank you!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:33 am

Cath23 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:36 am
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the information posted here.

My application was received on 28/02/20 (simpler times!). I’m not expecting any progress with the application for well over a year at least, but I was wondering when to expect the return of the original documents.

Are they normally returned near the start of the process, or can it take a while even during normal times?

I don’t mind about my documents, but I do feel bad that my mum’s birth and marriage certificates are now trapped there.

Thank you!
Hey Cath23,

You won't get the documents back until the end of the process. They've had my documents for well over a year now. I had to order a new marriage certificate as my wife's UK visa is running out and we need to submit one for her own application. It would be good if they could do some kind of initial document verification/copying and then send back the originals. They must have hundreds of thousands of precious documents in their possession at the moment. Let's hope there isn't a fire or something!

LA8887

Post by LA8887 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:05 pm

LKB wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:52 pm
I have all the documents I need to apply for FBR but having some trouble finding a suitable witness.
Is it ok the complete the online application and delay sending the witnessed form a documents until a few weeks later?
Having read the posts on here it seems that sometimes when the completed form is printed the list of acceptable witnesses is shorter that the list shown on the FBR website. It’s a bit more difficult finding someone on the shorter list.
Would be good to seethe wording regarding the witness before I complete the application.
I know I’m in for a long wait, congratulations to all you people who are nearing the end of this long journey.
The long list on the website is the relevant one. Ignore the shorter list on the application form.

serenitybyjan
Newly Registered

Post by serenitybyjan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Application was confirmed received in Dublin 27 May 2019 from the UK. So by the looks of it I’m nearly through but given everything going on it seems unpredictable!

I am due to get married in a few months and given the timeline is so unclear at the moment, would I need to submit any new documents in my new name or as everything I’ve submitted was in my maiden name will that be ok?

Also, another silly question, if my passport expires before they get to my application due to the long time this has been delayed by, will they accept this as it was valid when I first submitted?

Thank you!