ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR documents - do I need originals, and how to submit?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

xf20
inactive

ILR documents - do I need originals, and how to submit?

Post by xf20 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:09 pm

This is my first post but I've been reading and searching a lot so I hope these aren't FAQs.

I'm helping my wife do her ILR application and we have got up to the payment page, but after that we cannot see further without submitting the final application. I want to be sure of a few things first:

1. Can my wife apply up to 28 days early? Ok, this is an FAQ, but I have not been able to find it in the immigration rules anywhere or in the Gov UK page that gives an overview. If this is still true, will it be a problem when the answer to "how long have you been in the UK" is "4 years and 11 months"? (She arrived in the UK in mid September 2015.)

2. For proof of income, do we still need a physical signed letter from the employer to confirm payslips? This is also stated in the immigration rules. But it seems we will be uploading documents anyway?

3. I am still waiting for a letter from my employer (to prove we meet the income requirements), but will hopefully get it within a week. If we submit and pay for the application before this, is this likely to be a problem? I am hoping to get into the appointments queue so to speak, as I have no idea about availability until we submit, or whether my wife can reuse previous biometrics.

4. Is there a time limit for submitting the documents? My wife's current leave expires in December, so that's not (yet) an issue, but I wouldn't want the application to expire or anything.

Answers to any of the above would be much appreciated. :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR documents - do I need originals, and how to submit?

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:21 pm

1. Can my wife apply up to 28 days early? Ok, this is an FAQ, but I have not been able to find it in the immigration rules anywhere or in the Gov UK page that gives an overview. If this is still true, will it be a problem when the answer to "how long have you been in the UK" is "4 years and 11 months"? (She arrived in the UK in mid September 2015.)
Presumably she has a spouse settlement - FLR(M) - visa? Did she arrive on a 6 month fiance visa or were you already married and she arrived on a spouse visa? She could have applied within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date she entered the UK with a spouse visa (not fiance visa).
2. For proof of income, do we still need a physical signed letter from the employer to confirm payslips? This is also stated in the immigration rules. But it seems we will be uploading documents anyway?
Yes, you still need an employer letter. Everything is scanned and uploaded digitally. No originals are sent to UKVI.
3. I am still waiting for a letter from my employer (to prove we meet the income requirements), but will hopefully get it within a week. If we submit and pay for the application before this, is this likely to be a problem? I am hoping to get into the appointments queue so to speak, as I have no idea about availability until we submit, or whether my wife can reuse previous biometrics.
Your supporting documents must be dated on or before the date of application, which is the date you submit and pay online.
4. Is there a time limit for submitting the documents? My wife's current leave expires in December, so that's not (yet) an issue, but I wouldn't want the application to expire or anything.
The online application remains live for around 10 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

xf20
inactive

Post by xf20 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:41 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:21 pm
Presumably she has a spouse settlement - FLR(M) - visa? Did she arrive on a 6 month fiance visa or were you already married and she arrived on a spouse visa? She could have applied within 28 days before the 5th anniversary of the date she entered the UK with a spouse visa (not fiance visa).
Good question. We married in Thailand and she applied for settlement before arriving in 2015, so spouse visa not fiancée. Yes, in 2018 she got the FLR(M).
CR001 wrote:
Yes, you still need an employer letter. Everything is scanned and uploaded digitally. No originals are sent to UKVI.
Do you know if my employer needs to print, sign and scan? The HR team don't seem to do that so I'm asking Payroll now.
CR001 wrote:
Your supporting documents must be dated on or before the date of application, which is the date you submit and pay online.
That is an excellent point, so we'll have to hold fire in that case!
CR001 wrote:
Hmmm, we started it 3 weeks ago but that still leaves 7. I'll be very annoyed if we can't get the documentation by then anyway!

Also... that was incredibly fast and helpful, thank you so much! I was in danger of submitting before getting the documentation and you've saved me a lot of grief.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Good question. We married in Thailand and she applied for settlement before arriving in 2015, so spouse visa not fiancée. Yes, in 2018 she got the FLR(M).
All good to apply then.
CR001 wrote:
Do you know if my employer needs to print, sign and scan? The HR team don't seem to do that so I'm asking Payroll now.
They simply need to send you the signed letter, even in pdf format. You then have to upload with all your other supporting documents.
CR001 wrote:
That is an excellent point, so we'll have to hold fire in that case!
Best to do that then.
CR001 wrote:
Hmmm, we started it 3 weeks ago but that still leaves 7. I'll be very annoyed if we can't get the documentation by then anyway!
Fingers crossed you get the docs this week.
Also... that was incredibly fast and helpful, thank you so much! I was in danger of submitting before getting the documentation and you've saved me a lot of grief.
You're welcome. Feel free to post any further queries you have in this topic and members will assist as they can.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

xf20
inactive

Post by xf20 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks again. :) I guess my only worry for now is whether it's ok to put "4 years 11 months" for the question "How long have you lived in the UK?". Don't want to lie, but don't want them to reject it as invalid either.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:02 pm

xf20 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks again. :) I guess my only worry for now is whether it's ok to put "4 years 11 months" for the question "How long have you lived in the UK?". Don't want to lie, but don't want them to reject it as invalid either.
Yes it fine. Ukvi know the rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)