ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Holiday to poland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

najaf1
Newly Registered

Holiday to poland

Post by najaf1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm

I wonder if someone could give us advice as we are supposed to fly tomorrow. I am a uk citizen by birth , i am taking my stepson on holiday to poland , he has a liberian passport and ilr for the uk , he has his BRP which says settlement , no time limit.
I tried to check him in online today for the ryanair flight from edinburgh to poland but it wouldnt issue a boarding pass . It says he has to report to visa check desk at the airport . Does he need a visa to travel ? We assumed (or read somewhere that his ILR was enough) any advice please ?????

najaf1
Newly Registered

Re: Holiday to poland

Post by najaf1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm

I did phone the polish embassy today and asked them . They actually said “they dont know “

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Your stepson does need a visa if Liberian passport holders normally need a visa for Poland.

ILR is a purely domestic-to-the-UK status and gives no privilege when it comes to travelling to the rest of the EU/EEA. The ILR holder needs to apply for the relevant Schengen/other visa as usual.

People who hold Permanent Residence under the EEA Regulations (which is not the same as ILR) and whose cards state "Family Member of a Union Citizen" can travel visa free within the EU/EEA.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm

najaf1 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm
I wonder if someone could give us advice as we are supposed to fly tomorrow. I am a uk citizen by birth , i am taking my stepson on holiday to poland , he has a liberian passport and ilr for the uk , he has his BRP which says settlement , no time limit.
I tried to check him in online today for the ryanair flight from edinburgh to poland but it wouldnt issue a boarding pass . It says he has to report to visa check desk at the airport . Does he need a visa to travel ? We assumed (or read somewhere that his ILR was enough) any advice please ?????
Typical attitude from the Embassy. Often you get on the phone people who don't care and are just in hurry to dismiss you without answering your question.

As SecretSimon said, he needs a visa. With a Liberian passport, you can't enter Poland without a visa. Ryanair will see to that and will not issue a boarding pass even if you go with him to the airport.

There are visa dispensations for EEA BRP cards holders when travelling with their EEA sponsor. But this is not the case for holders of EU Settlement Scheme. The EU Settlement Scheme has nothing do to with EU despite its misleading name :(

najaf1
Newly Registered

Post by najaf1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:27 pm

Very grateful for your reply 😕