ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IEC to spouse work permit

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ernib
Newly Registered
Australia

IEC to spouse work permit

Post by ernib » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 am

I am new to this forum, so apologies if this has been queried.
I am a dual australian and british citizen - 30 y.o. currently living in the UK with my british husband 38 y.o (he does not have australian citizenship only british).I would like to take advantage of the IEC program through my Australian passport once a vaccine for COVID is found, as I can see they have extended the age for applicants to 35. My husband does not qualify for the IEC. However, looking into it, if i obtained a job of skill level 0, A or B, my husband could apply for a work permit to come and join me and work in canada with me. The types of jobs i would be going for are Skill Level B (Office Administrator/Office Manager). I believe i have that information correct. NOC code is 1221.

So, say I get my IEC, how would it work with my husband coming with me? Would he at first enter Canada the same time as me on a visitor visa? And then once i got a skill B Job (ideally i'd get a job before moving, although i know those things are tricky AND we're in a covid ravaged economy). How long would I need to wait to apply for my husbands work permit? It says once you get your first paycheck? Theoretically thats within the first week, or two? And would his work permit be tied to my job? Or just to my visa?

I can see conflicting information in this link thats says that my spouse can apply for a work permit whilst a visitor in canada, but then later on down it says he would need to go to a canadian consulate in the states?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentr ... 172&top=17

We have family in canada, so my spouse wouldnt need to go into employment straight away, we would have a place to stay and some money behind us to cover the weeks without a work permit, however I'd be more concerned if he wasnt able to come to canada with me at first (or at least within a few weeks) as we have been separated by visas before in our lives and we wouldnt want to go through that for a long stretch again.

ernib
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: IEC to spouse work permit

Post by ernib » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am

how do i edit this post?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: IEC to spouse work permit

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:21 pm

ernib wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 am
how do i edit this post?
You can't. You only have 15 minutes to edit a post once you have posted it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.