ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to Switzerland on ILR?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

therock
Member of Standing

Travelling to Switzerland on ILR?

Post by therock » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 am

Hi,
All of our family members have British passports except my wife who is waiting for Naturalisation.

Can she travel with us to switzerland on ILR?

Many thanks!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling to Switzerland on ILR?

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:18 am

If she normally needs a visa, then no. They have also suspended issuing visas at present. ILR is only relevant to the UK and not to EU countries.

Also note that Switzerland is restricting who can enter.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements
Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)
Entry in to Switzerland from the United Kingdom is permitted for British nationals and nationals of EU and EFTA countries. Travellers from the UK who do not have UK/EU/EFTA nationality will not be permitted to enter Switzerland. However there are some exceptions. Further guidance is available from the State Secretariat for Migration.
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/ak ... -848552560
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Travelling to Switzerland on ILR?

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm

therock wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 am
Hi,
All of our family members have British passports except my wife who is waiting for Naturalisation.

Can she travel with us to switzerland on ILR?

Many thanks!!
It is a misconception that ILR has any legal value outside the UK. It does not. ILR is an immigration status under UK rules and has no recognition outside the UK. To visit Europe, she must obtain a Schengen visa as a family member of an EU citizen (British are no longer EU citizens but the old rules still apply until the end of the year)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice