ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jayrose17
South Africa

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Jayrose17 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:22 pm

O come on Cr001. A boer maak a plan.
Only joking OOM. Yes you rite. So many timelines elsewhere.
The moderatorsxdo a good job here policing and re directing people to the appropriate threads if they start a post that is already the same elsewhere.
Salute!

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
Raihanul wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:36 am
I got my approval in Early June and haven't received my invitaion yet. I contacted the council and got this in response;

"Hi

We received our first batch of certificates last week but we do not appear to have received one in your name. You will receive a letter from the home Office inviting you to book your ceremony at the time they send the certificates to us.

Regards"

I also contacted the Immigration helpline today on 08006781767 and was told that I should get my letter in 12 weeks.
Are you from mcr council?Sound like they told me same thing day before yesterday, I asked them when they going to receive the 2nd batch,And they said HO will email them before send the certificate, It could be Thursday or Friday but it's won't be on the system till following Tuesday if they receive the certificate.
Hi,

It's Newham Council.

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 pm

So guys, after I passed my 12 weeks, wait time since the date of approval; what am I supposed to do next? What is the next step? I got approved Mid June and yet no further communication from the HO. How do I know my invitation wasn't lost in mail since they are not sent tracked?

Option 1: Immigration Helpline (X) because they can't look into anyones personal information
Option 2: Email: (also X) Because Email response are all the same. They send everyone a generaic automated email.
Option 3: Knock on HO door (Tick) Probably an option (just kidding haha)

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:23 am

Hi, I received 2 decision one by email on 3 June after chasing twice second decision I received by post dated 24 March received in June can please advise me my timeline start from March or June ? I personally feel my decision was made in March as I applied in January.

Small

Post by Small » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 am

I sent HO email donkey years ago. No response. Any updated email to enquire about CC please

Mohahij
Newly Registered

Post by Mohahij » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:09 am

Malikg123 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:23 am
Hi, I received 2 decision one by email on 3 June after chasing twice second decision I received by post dated 24 March received in June can please advise me my timeline start from March or June ? I personally feel my decision was made in March as I applied in January.
Your approval is the date stated in the letter.

Mhmd2005
Newly Registered
Iraq

Post by Mhmd2005 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi all,
I need help please,
My citizenship certificate at my council (Brent) they refused to book a ceremony for me as I didnt receive an invitation letter and they told me on 19/9/20 the 6 months will expire and they send my certificate back to the home office .
I sent emails to the home office I used all the emails they have 5 email addresses still no reply, I contacted the help line they said they cant do any thing as they dont have access to this information and i need to email citizenship.support@ homeoffice.gov.uk and still no reply.
Any help please

Mayo101
Newly Registered

Post by Mayo101 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Mhmd2005 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:07 pm
Hi all,
I need help please,
My citizenship certificate at my council (Brent) they refused to book a ceremony for me as I didnt receive an invitation letter and they told me on 19/9/20 the 6 months will expire and they send my certificate back to the home office .
I sent emails to the home office I used all the emails they have 5 email addresses still no reply, I contacted the help line they said they cant do any thing as they dont have access to this information and i need to email citizenship.support@ homeoffice.gov.uk and still no reply.
Any help please
This is just awful, i can imagine the mental torture you must be going through. Maybe involve your MP asap.

crazihypes
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by crazihypes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Hey guys, I urge anyone who is still waiting for their invitation letter to get in contact with their local council, I was approved June 1st and was still waiting for my invitation letter, I got fed up and contacted my council which is Haringey. The lady asked for my surname and confirmed she HAS got my certificate. I ask her when did she receive it, she says there is no date on certificates. However now I am in a bloody limbo as she has to confirm with head office if I can do my ceremony without the invitation letter. I am so frustrated at both the council and home office in their handling of citizenships. I emailed Home office and have yet to get a proper response. If the council has your certificate I don't understand why you need the invitation letter, as certificates are only sent out when you have been approved.

bppartnerclub
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by bppartnerclub » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:18 pm

I emailed Southwark council to ask if they have my certificate (which they do not yet...), but what really amazed me was that they responded literally within 10 minutes. Did not expect that. Let's see if I let HO know I now live in Westminster council if that makes it come through any faster

Runner12345
Newly Registered

Post by Runner12345 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm

bppartnerclub wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:18 pm
I emailed Southwark council to ask if they have my certificate (which they do not yet...), but what really amazed me was that they responded literally within 10 minutes. Did not expect that. Let's see if I let HO know I now live in Westminster council if that makes it come through any faster
This is interesting. Southwark did not respond to my last 2 emails at all. I rang them this morning and they were not even willing to check if they had my certificate and told me to get in touch with the HO to get the letter as they could not book me in without the letter. I got approved mid-June.

bppartnerclub
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by bppartnerclub » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Runner12345 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm
bppartnerclub wrote:
This is interesting. Southwark did not respond to my last 2 emails at all. I rang them this morning and they were not even willing to check if they had my certificate and told me to get in touch with the HO to get the letter as they could not book me in without the letter. I got approved mid-June.
At what email did you contact them? I used registrars@southwark.gov.uk Who knows, maybe they lied an did not even chaeck if they have it :roll:

Runner12345
Newly Registered

Post by Runner12345 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 pm

bppartnerclub wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Runner12345 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 pm
bppartnerclub wrote:
At what email did you contact them? I used registrars@southwark.gov.uk Who knows, maybe they lied an did not even chaeck if they have it :roll:
Oh wow. After you said this I tried again and also got a response within 10min. No luck either, they do not have my certificate and I am told to wait for the HO letter.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by George7371 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:14 pm

Called the home office immigration help line today and asked about when ceremony invitation letter will be sent out.

I told them I got my approval letter end of May so 3 months ago and still no invitation letter. They said if my approval letter is dated May, I should expect the invitation to arrive in 6-10 weeks

So here’s hoping it does actually arrive by then!

Small

Post by Small » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:18 pm

crazihypes wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:25 pm
Hey guys, I urge anyone who is still waiting for their invitation letter to get in contact with their local council, I was approved June 1st and was still waiting for my invitation letter, I got fed up and contacted my council which is Haringey. The lady asked for my surname and confirmed she HAS got my certificate. I ask her when did she receive it, she says there is no date on certificates. However now I am in a bloody limbo as she has to confirm with head office if I can do my ceremony without the invitation letter. I am so frustrated at both the council and home office in their handling of citizenships. I emailed Home office and have yet to get a proper response. If the council has your certificate I don't understand why you need the invitation letter, as certificates are only sent out when you have been approved.
One of members got his CC without invitation letter from HO. His certificate was with council. I think you should convince your council. Or ask your MP for assistance. And likely if you did not get your invitation letter from HO your certificate will go back to HO. Vicious circle! I am afraid.

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:27 pm

I lost any hope for my ceremony. The second wave of COVID19 is gaining momentum in Europe and the UK, which means that fairly soon they will put all these ceremony shenanigans on hold for a while. I guess we'll get our citizenship post-mortem

crazihypes
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by crazihypes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 pm

George7371 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:14 pm
Called the home office immigration help line today and asked about when ceremony invitation letter will be sent out.

I told them I got my approval letter end of May so 3 months ago and still no invitation letter. They said if my approval letter is dated May, I should expect the invitation to arrive in 6-10 weeks

This is interesting as I contacted home office today aswell after speaking to my council and the man took my details and said its been 13 weeks (approved 1st June) so I should have certainly received an invitation letter, so he said someone will contact me soon. Fingers crossed someone actually does!

crazihypes
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by crazihypes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Small wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:18 pm
crazihypes wrote:
One of members got his CC without invitation letter from HO. His certificate was with council. I think you should convince your council. Or ask your MP for assistance. And likely if you did not get your invitation letter from HO your certificate will go back to HO. Vicious circle! I am afraid.
viscous cycle indeed, I tried my best but Haringey council said head office is very strict on only conducting ceremonies when individuals have received their invitation letter. I've filed a complaint with home office online and will be filing one today with my council.

George7371
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by George7371 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:45 pm

crazihypes wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:30 pm
George7371 wrote:

This is interesting as I contacted home office today aswell after speaking to my council and the man took my details and said its been 13 weeks (approved 1st June) so I should have certainly received an invitation letter, so he said someone will contact me soon. Fingers crossed someone actually does!
Right.. now I’m starting to think they’re making it up as they go.. I guess will find out eventually.

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:47 pm

crazihypes wrote:
George7371 wrote:

What number did you call? as all the numbers I tried, they cannot provide details / look into application etc...

crazihypes
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by crazihypes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Anatol wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:47 pm
crazihypes wrote:
George7371 wrote:

What number did you call? as all the numbers I tried, they cannot provide details / look into application etc...
0800 678 1767 is the one I used but you can also try 02070354848

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm

For me it's been nearly 18 weeks since the HO told me the decision on my application had been made (I had to email again to actually get the pdf and they confirmed my application has been successful). I haven't received the ceremony invitation letter and the council doesn't have my certificate. I called the helpline as it's been over 6 months since I submitted my application, the only thing they recommended me do is to contact citizenship.support email - emailed them twice, but haven't got any response. I submitted a complaint at the HO website, but their processing time is 20 working days, so haven't heard from them yet.

uuee6543

Post by uuee6543 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:15 pm

crazihypes wrote:
viscous cycle indeed, I tried my best but Haringey council said head office is very strict on only conducting ceremonies when individuals have received their invitation letter. I've filed a complaint with home office online and will be filing one today with my council.
I got a reply to the complaint I’ve filed with the home office today. I won’t post the whole response here because it seems it’s a personalised one at least but essentially they said they won’t be ‘upholding my complaint’ because it’s not their fault and they are dealing with the coronavirus etc. They also said I just need to patiently wait for my ceremony letter. They suggested that if I want to complain further I can write to complaintsreview@homeoffice.gov.uk so that they review their response to my complaint, which will take a month... An absolute joke.

My council (Camden) is also not being very helpful and I keep having to explain to them that people received approval letters before invitations because of lockdown etc. And worst thing is I have spoken to the same guy a number of times now and each time he seems surprised by what I have to say.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Anatol wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:27 pm
I lost any hope for my ceremony. The second wave of COVID19 is gaining momentum in Europe and the UK, which means that fairly soon they will put all these ceremony shenanigans on hold for a while. I guess we'll get our citizenship post-mortem
Actually they were planning to introduce virtual ceremonies. They even briefly did a few, but then pandemic slowed down so they reintroduced ceremonies in town halls. Maybe the second wave will cause roll out of virtual ceremonies and they might be a better solution then ceremonies at town halls with restrictions in place.

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 pm

kolaxy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Hi everyone. Good news. My spouse applied for citizenship on March 19, 2020 before lockdown and got approval via email on May 18, 2020. Today, we received an invitation letter from Home Office to book Citizenship ceremony with the local council. The waiting is over. I believe they're now posting invitation letters for May/June approvals. A little more patient guys. We're all almost there. All the best. The council is Bradford.
Hi, I have also applied for citizenship through marriage and received successful confirmation letter.. haven’t received an invitation yet.. but can someone please tell me when will I receive the biometrics ? I enrolled them on July 27th? Will be they sent out at the same time as the invitation letter ? Thank you