ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Lopand
Poland

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Lopand » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:33 pm

Gioldn wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 pm
kolaxy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Hi everyone. Good news. My spouse applied for citizenship on March 19, 2020 before lockdown and got approval via email on May 18, 2020. Today, we received an invitation letter from Home Office to book Citizenship ceremony with the local council. The waiting is over. I believe they're now posting invitation letters for May/June approvals. A little more patient guys. We're all almost there. All the best. The council is Bradford.
Hi, I have also applied for citizenship through marriage and received successful confirmation letter.. haven’t received an invitation yet.. but can someone please tell me when will I receive the biometrics ? I enrolled them on July 27th? Will be they sent out at the same time as the invitation letter ? Thank you
What do you mean by receiving the biometrics?

VICB83
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by VICB83 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Hello, I made my application on 10 July 2020 and received confirmation my application was successful on 18 August 2020. The letter says I should wait for an invitation letter for the ceremony. What is the usual timing to receive the letter (I live in London, Westminster)? Ceremonies in Westminster were suspended until 19 August but have now started again. Any experience from anyone in the same area?

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 pm

VICB83 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm
Hello, I made my application on 10 July 2020 and received confirmation my application was successful on 18 August 2020. The letter says I should wait for an invitation letter for the ceremony. What is the usual timing to receive the letter (I live in London, Westminster)? Ceremonies in Westminster were suspended until 19 August but have now started again. Any experience from anyone in the same area?
Hi, we have applied pretty much around the same time and I’m in London too. Have you received your biometrics ? Or is that supposed to arrive after the home office invitation letter ? I submitted mine on July 37tha Nd received successful confirmation letter by HO on August 6th. Thank you

beaujam90
- thin ice -

Post by beaujam90 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:55 pm

Gioldn wrote:
kolaxy wrote:
Hi everyone. Good news. My spouse applied for citizenship on March 19, 2020 before lockdown and got approval via email on May 18, 2020. Today, we received an invitation letter from Home Office to book Citizenship ceremony with the local council. The waiting is over. I believe they're now posting invitation letters for May/June approvals. A little more patient guys. We're all almost there. All the best. The council is Bradford.
Hi, I have also applied for citizenship through marriage and received successful confirmation letter.. haven’t received an invitation yet.. but can someone please tell me when will I receive the biometrics ? I enrolled them on July 27th? Will be they sent out at the same time as the invitation letter ? Thank you
Dear Giodn!

You already got your biometrics. you were born with them: Your face, fingerprints etc... Do you want new once ? You ve sent the biometrics to the home office to keep, you will not get them back. You could contact the Home office to check why they haven't sent you the invitation letter for the ceremony or/and you could call the council to see if they received the Citizenship certificate.

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. Sorry I meant Brp Just confused about returning them.. I haven’t received anything since my app at UKVCAS.. not sure what the next steps are .. now just wait for HO inv letter ? Many thanks

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:12 pm

beaujam90 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:55 pm
Gioldn wrote:
kolaxy wrote:
[/quote
Dear Giodn!

You already got your biometrics. you were born with them: Your face, fingerprints etc... Do you want new once ? You ve sent the biometrics to the home office to keep, you will not get them back. You could contact the Home office to check why they haven't sent you the invitation letter for the ceremony or/and you could call the council to see if they received the Citizenship certificate.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:27 am

nnn15 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm
For me it's been nearly 18 weeks since the HO told me the decision on my application had been made (I had to email again to actually get the pdf and they confirmed my application has been successful). I haven't received the ceremony invitation letter and the council doesn't have my certificate. I called the helpline as it's been over 6 months since I submitted my application, the only thing they recommended me do is to contact citizenship.support email - emailed them twice, but haven't got any response. I submitted a complaint at the HO website, but their processing time is 20 working days, so haven't heard from them yet.
Similar story here. It has been 17 weeks since I had similar email confirming that the decision has been taken and I should expect a letter within 28 days. 2 weeks after that (15 weeks ago) I received the pdf decision.

Contacted the home office many time and last reply I got, was on 10 July:

Dear xxxxxxx,

I refer to your application for British Citizenship and your email enquiry. Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

Involved my MP 3 weeks ago and contacted my council but not response so far!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 am

Gioldn wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Hi thanks for your reply. Sorry I meant Brp Just confused about returning them.. I haven’t received anything since my app at UKVCAS.. not sure what the next steps are .. now just wait for HO inv letter ? Many thanks
Your brp card is only returned after you have been approved and attended your ceremony, at which point you are then officially British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:59 am

I think that 'you should get you invitation letter within 12 weeks of receiving your decision' rule doesn't apply in current circumstances. It's fascinating (and confusing at the same time) how some people have received their invitation letters already, despite getting their decision later than mine. I have been waiting since May 21 to get an inv letter. My council didn't get my certificate either. Well, waiting continues then..

Stef03
Newly Registered

Post by Stef03 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:10 am

So, as there are no concrete updates from HO, I emailed my constituency MP yesterday evening. Let’s see if this is going to help my case in anyway or my email will be dealt with in the same way is HO dealing with our requests. I will keep you informed with the outcome

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 am

I called the helpline 03001232253 and I have been told that the HO has given them an update that all of us should wait till 30th October to receive our certificates!

Also called the HO Crona virus helpline who said the same information.

The 8-12 weeks period which they previously announced, is from the announcement date (10 August)!

I can not understand why it will takes the HO 12 weeks (84 days) to print certificates!
Hope this is not going to be a long wait.

bppartnerclub
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by bppartnerclub » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:57 am

rozearo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 am
I called the helpline 03001232253 and I have been told that the HO has given them an update that all of us should wait till 30th October to receive our certificates!

The 8-12 weeks period which they previously announced, is from the announcement date (10 August)!

I can not understand why it will takes the HO 12 weeks (84 days) to print certificates!
Isn't that great news... Any explanation for why people approved recently are receiving their invitations while those approved months ago are still waiting?

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:08 am

bppartnerclub wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:57 am
[quote=rozearo post_id=<a href="tel:1928962">1928962</a> time=<a href="tel:1598604787">1598604787</a> user_id=127370]
I called the helpline <a href="tel:03001232253">03001232253</a> and I have been told that the HO has given them an update that all of us should wait till 30th October to receive our certificates!

Isn't that great news... Any explanation for why people approved recently are receiving their invitations while those approved months ago are still waiting?
[/quote]

No explanation, but in my opinion they are sending all decisions which were made in March/April. The decision we had by email is not the actual date of decisions (Mine was few weeks after actual decision).

My application was inJanuary and I got a confirmation on early May, after I chase them up, that the decision was made. I have no clue when my decision was made but I think it was around end of April!

Back to the wait time and the deadline given by the end of October, hopefully we will not need to wait that long. It might come earlier. Let us hope and not burn out!

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:33 am

rozearo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 am

It is amazing how what was 28 days in April (the emails we received) translated into 12 weeks starting from August and still without clear timelines. I would feel a lot more comfortable if there was at least an option to check the status of the application online - with the invitation being mailed I just have to chase if I don't hear anything from the HO in many weeks and all the communicated timelines have been missed - I don't know if the letter just got lost or the timelines got shifted again.

Also I saw that in the US successful applicants for citizenship who couldn't attend their ceremonies sued the government as it prevents them from voting in November election. And apparently the US introduced drive-in ceremonies for people to be able to complete their applications.

Stef03
Newly Registered

Post by Stef03 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am

Maybe we should all start sending our struggle with HO to the major tv news channels and have it taken over by them as we may end up worst than windrush generation.

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:48 am

Stef03 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:36 am
Maybe we should all start sending our struggle with HO to the major tv news channels and have it taken over by them as we may end up worst than windrush generation.
That's a really good idea! It's a lot of us now who have to suffer their co#k-ups in silence, the media could be a good starting point.
Also, we can write to BoJo

Mayo101
Newly Registered

Post by Mayo101 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:57 am

Stef03 wrote:
Exactly what i had in mind for some time

Parisiana

Post by Parisiana » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:43 am

VICB83 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm
Hi, I am also waiting for a ceremony in Westminster and my application was approved on 21 August. When I called them, they said that they restarted ceremonies last week but that they did not receive my certificate and that I should wait for the home office invitation letter. They expect to receive more certificates from the Home Office in the coming weeks but the wait might be long for us as there might be a huge backlog of applicants approved since March 2020. Let's keep each other posted on progress in this thread.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:47 am

Stef03 wrote:
I got no idea how to do reach TV news. If members have done it before, please let us know what we should do.

On the other hand, I would suggest if you have applied more than 6 months and still waiting for your invitation, please contact you MP. You can easily google and find out who they are to write them an email. If many MP get many requests, I’m sure the HO will start to move faster than that very slow pace.

I agree with all, that there is no clear update and all are just promises that the HO keeps changing every month.
First, it was 28 days after email. Then 6-8 weeks. Finally up to 30 October.

Who knows, may be next month they will extended it to 2022!

Mohahij
Newly Registered

Post by Mohahij » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm

rozearo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:47 am
Stef03 wrote:
I got no idea how to do reach TV news. If members have done it before, please let us know what we should do.

On the other hand, I would suggest if you have applied more than 6 months and still waiting for your invitation, please contact you MP. You can easily google and find out who they are to write them an email. If many MP get many requests, I’m sure the HO will start to move faster than that very slow pace.

I agree with all, that there is no clear update and all are just promises that the HO keeps changing every month.

Another way to make that more public and open some eyes ,we can make a hashtag on twitter and @ the home office and all who should be hearing us .

Just my own opinion.

rozearo

Post by rozearo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 pm

Mohahij wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm
Another way to make that more public and open some eyes ,we can make a hashtag on twitter and @ the home office and all who should be hearing us .

Just my own opinion.
It might be a good idea if we all use the exact hashtag, so that it can reach media/HO. Any suuegestion?

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:58 am
Gioldn wrote:
Your brp card is only returned after you have been approved and attended your ceremony, at which point you are then officially British.
But that doesn’t apply to Eu citizens right ? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

Gioldn wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
Gioldn wrote:
No it does not.

The next steps are that you simply wait now for the outcome of your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Small

Post by Small » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:27 pm

rozearo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:47 am
Stef03 wrote:

HO already knew second wave would come. They should have started virtual ceremonies across UK but they did not. This fecking virus no idea when it would stop. In October there are chances second peak would appear and HO would use more tricks. There are many councils who are not cater for virtual ceremonies. Then there is not a single chance to change the council.
The massive fee HO got from us ... the services being received are similar to bag of shite. There is not even an online system to check the progress of application weekly or monthly.
In US their president gave permission to local councils to deal with virus and other activities. Same is copied by this government and left everything for the council. Incase of something gets wrong blame would be on councils. And on the top councils have no clue how to do this either. Every time you ring them and they even don’t know what is Citizenship ceremony and have no knowledge and would refer to concerned people. It is not a bad idea to share on Facebook or Twitter and other NGOs how HO treats us, pretty sure HO won’t bother how much we complain but it would give peace of mind in democratic country.
We just want to know when and how HO will deliver CC for long term, we don’t want to know the far end of 💨 fart. Absolutely shambles.

Gioldn
Newly Registered
France

Post by Gioldn » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm
Gioldn wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
Gioldn wrote:
thank you
No it does not.

The next steps are that you simply wait now for the outcome of your application.