ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm

rozearo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 pm
Mohahij wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:06 pm
Another way to make that more public and open some eyes ,we can make a hashtag on twitter and @ the home office and all who should be hearing us .

Just my own opinion.
It might be a good idea if we all use the exact hashtag, so that it can reach media/HO. Any suuegestion?
It would be beneficial if we all tweet a journalist. Especially guardian journalists like xxxx or even xxxxxx. They're very influential and would put pressure on the government.

Small

Post by Small » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm

xxxxxxxis good. He has done many interviews with very famous people. Newspaper are good too. ITV news on tele if someone knows how to do that.

Stef03
Newly Registered

Post by Stef03 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Just got a reply from my constituency MP

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email. xxxxxxx has read your message with interest and has asked me to respond on his behalf for speed of reply.

xxxxxxx and I can appreciate your frustrations. As your local MP, xxxxx is able to raise your concerns to the Home Office and ask what action can be taken to address this.

I must stress from the outset, that xxxxxx ultimately has no authority over the Home Office and cannot alter or influence their decisions.

I will be in touch as soon as I hear anything.

In the meantime, should you have any further concerns, please do contact me.

Take care

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Reply from the home office:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Your application for British citizenship has been successful. Please be assured that a citizenship ceremony invitation will be issued to you by post within the next 8 – 12 weeks. You are required to attend a citizenship ceremony within 6 months of the date printed on your ceremony invitation.

We are currently working with Local Authorities throughout the UK and with overseas diplomatic posts as they begin to resume Citizenship Ceremonies. Service has not yet returned to normal due to continuing adherence to Government advice on social distancing – which is subject to some local and international variance.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:33 pm

Your application for British citizenship has been successful. Please be assured that a citizenship ceremony invitation will be issued to you by post within the next 8 – 12 weeks. You are required to attend a citizenship ceremony within 6 months of the date printed on your ceremony invitation.

We are currently working with Local Authorities throughout the UK and with overseas diplomatic posts as they begin to resume Citizenship Ceremonies. Service has not yet returned to normal due to continuing adherence to Government advice on social distancing – which is subject to some local and international variance.
When was your application approved? Did you email citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk ?

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:49 pm

apostrophe wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:36 pm
Learning18 wrote:

When was your application approved? Did you email citizenship.support@homeoffice.gov.uk ?
Hi,

No, the citizenship team have been ignoring me for ages 😂. The email was from this email address: FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:26 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:49 pm
apostrophe wrote:
Learning18 wrote:

Hi,

No, the citizenship team have been ignoring me for ages 😂. The email was from this email address: FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk
Ok, thanks, I have emailed them now too. When was your application approved?

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 pm

apostrophe wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:26 pm
Learning18 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:49 pm
apostrophe wrote:
Learning18 wrote:

Hi,

Ok, thanks, I have emailed them now too. When was your application approved?

My approval date was on the 3rd of June (13weeks ago).

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 pm

I also contacted my MP today. It's been 13 weeks (!) since my application has been approved in May and not a single update from the Home Office. My local Council has been performing citizenship ceremonies for weeks now (private AND public) and this long futile wait is just an absurd.

I don't hold my hopes too high, but there's nothing else that I can do. The generic response from the HO is useless, so maybe if all of us would make our MPs push the HO, then something might move forward.

I will keep this forum updated once I hear back.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Lopand wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 pm
I also contacted my MP today. It's been 13 weeks (!) since my application has been approved in May and not a single update from the Home Office. My local Council has been performing citizenship ceremonies for weeks now (private AND public) and this long futile wait is just an absurd.

I don't hold my hopes too high, but there's nothing else that I can do. The generic response from the HO is useless, so maybe if all of us would make our MPs push the HO, then something might move forward.

I am exactly in the same boat my fellow citizen, I'm afraid all we have left to do is wait.

learner29

Post by learner29 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm

A kind lady booked me for a group ceremony in the first week of september so I am almost done with this citizenship but I am not expecting a smooth ride as long as applying for passport is concerned as a massive backlog is expecting there as well.

Wishing everyone good luck for the HO invitation and subsequent ceremony.

Small

Post by Small » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:28 pm

learner29 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm
A kind lady booked me for a group ceremony in the first week of september so I am almost done with this citizenship but I am not expecting a smooth ride as long as applying for passport is concerned as a massive backlog is expecting there as well.

Congratulations 🥳 learner, can you please tell when did you get approved

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Today the leader of the Croydon council said it is safe for the children to go back to school. I'm wondering why he thinks it isn't safe to have citizenship ceremony. :?

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:21 pm

True why don’t you ask him email home office and your MP
Tirinti wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm
Today the leader of the Croydon council said it is safe for the children to go back to school. I'm wondering why he thinks it isn't safe to have citizenship ceremony. :?

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:22 pm

I already contacted my MP it will take 4/6 weeks To get a reply.
Lopand wrote:

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:29 pm

You booked it with or without invitation letter ?
Also if you don’t mind can you share your council
learner29 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Mina-N
Newly Registered

Post by Mina-N » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Hey all,

Don’t stress, you will all receive your invitation letters soon I believe. I applied since January, biometrics enrolled in March due to missed appointments :lol:, never received an approval letter which i kinda suspected due to covid. I received no correspondence from the HO. I finally emailed citizenship support around Mid June and i got that response email

“your citizenship ceremony certificate has not been dispatched to your local authority”

I heard nothing for over a month. I emailed again end of July and got the same response. I decided to forget them and move on with my life. Came home on August 26th to my surprise, approval letter including an invitation for ceremony. I called my local council to book the next day. Ceremony now booked for Sep 23rd as i just missed the previous cycle. Believe its a group (socially distanced) ceremony. So happy and looking forward to my ceremony. Good Luck guys! BTW, i’m in Swindon, Wiltshire

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Malikg123 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:22 pm
Lopand wrote:

To get a reply from the Home Office or from the MP?

Mine already responded to my letter and said he already filed an enquiry with the HO regarding a similar situation of another constituent and he will contact me back as soon as they respond to it.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 pm

A lot of EU citizens have applied early this year to be done with everything by the end of the year and the end of the transition period.
However as the situation appears to be chaotic as councils often claim they would book people in, but HO doesn’t send any other certificates than from March it looks like an extreme long wait besides the worry of another lockdown.

I think in general EU citizens wanted to be done with it by the end of the new year.
Now if that goes that slow and as no one approved can claim to be a British citizen it’s likely we need to use our EUSS status for employment, banks, NHS, landlords and so on which I understand isn’t desirable with the digital only status and British citizenship was meant to be the absolute security.
I was already asked at work for my EUSS proof shortly after being approved for citizenship which is annoying as that is the only status I have until I’m entitled to call myself British.

I do understand EUSS might be secure, but maybe some share my frustration about the situation.

Also I spoke to people who got approved with PR now being in the same situation and thinking about applying for EUSS too as they are worried it might take a long time until their ceremony.

Did anyone spoke to EU citizens campaigners about the situation? They are pretty good to address issues.

Malikg123

Post by Malikg123 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm

From Home office
Lopand wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Malikg123 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:22 pm
Lopand wrote:

To get a reply from the Home Office or from the MP?

Mine already responded to my letter and said he already filed an enquiry with the HO regarding a similar situation of another constituent and he will contact me back as soon as they respond to it.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:54 pm
A lot of EU citizens have applied early this year to be done with everything by the end of the year and the end of the transition period.
However as the situation appears to be chaotic as councils often claim they would book people in, but HO doesn’t send any other certificates than from March it looks like an extreme long wait besides the worry of another lockdown.

I think in general EU citizens wanted to be done with it by the end of the new year.
Now if that goes that slow and as no one approved can claim to be a British citizen it’s likely we need to use our EU Settlement Scheme status for employment, banks, NHS, landlords and so on which I understand isn’t desirable with the digital only status and British citizenship was meant to be the absolute security.
I was already asked at work for my EU Settlement Scheme proof shortly after being approved for citizenship which is annoying as that is the only status I have until I’m entitled to call myself British.

I do understand EU Settlement Scheme might be secure, but maybe some share my frustration about the situation.

Also I spoke to people who got approved with PR now being in the same situation and thinking about applying for EU Settlement Scheme too as they are worried it might take a long time until their ceremony.

Did anyone spoke to EU citizens campaigners about the situation? They are pretty good to address issues.
I'm a fellow EU citizen and share the same worries with you. I am eager to get this process over with before the end of the year, as I suspect a complete crackdown by this awful government on EU citizens residing in the UK following the final execution of Brexit. The fact that I have no paperwork to prove my Settled Status is unbearable and I just want to feel secure in the country which has been my home for many years now.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Lopand wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm
Frou01 wrote:

Now if that goes that slow and as no one approved can claim to be a British citizen it’s likely we need to use our EU Settlement Scheme status for employment, banks, NHS, landlords and so on which I understand isn’t desirable with the digital only status and British citizenship was meant to be the absolute security.
I was already asked at work for my EU Settlement Scheme proof shortly after being approved for citizenship which is annoying as that is the only status I have until I’m entitled to call myself British.

I do understand EU Settlement Scheme might be secure, but maybe some share my frustration about the situation.

Also I spoke to people who got approved with PR now being in the same situation and thinking about applying for EU Settlement Scheme too as they are worried it might take a long time until their ceremony.

I'm a fellow EU citizen and share the same worries with you. I am eager to get this process over with before the end of the year, as I suspect a complete crackdown by this awful government on EU citizens residing in the UK following the final execution of Brexit. The fact that I have no paperwork to prove my Settled Status is unbearable and I just want to feel secure in the country which has been my home for many years now.
Thank you. So it’s not just me being frustrated likely being asked to prove my Settled Status soon everywhere.
We went a long way to avoid this, got approved and now still stuck with it.
Makes me sad.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 pm

Frou01 wrote:

I'm afraid my approved citizenship can be cancelled. I applied based on my PR status an it won't be valid in the next year. Even settled status is unsure as the no deal Brexit is more probable and aster no deal they can cancel settled scheme and deport all of us. My application was approved in early August and my council hasn't started ceremonies yet. I don't think I will have ceremony this year.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 pm
Frou01 wrote:

I'm afraid my approved citizenship can be cancelled. I applied based on my PR status an it won't be valid in the next year. Even settled status is unsure as the no deal Brexit is more probable and aster no deal they can cancel settled scheme and deport all of us. My application was approved in early August and my council hasn't started ceremonies yet. I don't think I will have ceremony this year.
This is causing anxiety and emotional distress and this after going through a lot of worry, stress and heartache already during the application process it self.

I wish they would prevail common sense and acting more sensitive and find a better working solution for what is in place now. Because obviously this doesn’t seem to work very well as they stuck since weeks still in their March backlog while other council haven’t even started yet.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Post by viv197 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:24 pm

Is it possible to ask for a private ceremony (that we would pay for) even if I we have not received an invitation to book a ceremony yet?