ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by jgclancy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Dfreem1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:59 pm
Hi all,

I had a quick question on the citizenship ceremony.

According to the official website you need to pay a fee of €950 and travel to Ireland in order to complete your citizenship application process.

I have already submitted my FBR application and have just become aware of this extra cost. I'm sure it wasn't this expensive when I originally applied in Apr 2019! I'm now weighing up whether this cost is prohibitive and whether I can actually go through with it.

Did all of the successful applicants have to attend this ceremony? There hasn't been many mentions of it on this forum... that I can find.

Thanks for any help.
When you obtain citizenship via the FBR route you do not do this.

jgclancy

NJG
Newly Registered

Post by NJG » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Well, I've just had my confirmation email:

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful. A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope. An Irish passport application form will be included with your certificate, however if you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information"

Details as below:

Application submitted online: 26 March 2019
App posted: 26 Mar 2019
Email acknowledging receipt: 05 Mar 2019
Confirmation of address email: 18 Aug 2020
Congrats email: 20 August 2020

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:10 pm

NJG wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 pm

"Congratulations, your application for Irish citizenship through entry on the Foreign Births Register has been successful. A certificate has now been printed and posted to the address provided by you. Please note that your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope. An Irish passport application form will be included with your certificate, however if you live in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland Passport Online is the fastest and cheapest way for you to get your first Irish passport. See https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/ for more information"

Details as below:

Congrats!!! jgclancy

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 pm

NJG wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Details as below:

I thought you said earlier your email acknowledging receipt was the 3rd May? Congrats anyway!

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 pm

I'm still a bit far off (8th July acknowledgement of application) but does anyone know if the FBR will post the certificate to somewhere other than the address you wrote on the application form in any circumstances? I am a student with a home address (one I used on the application form) and a student term-time address, but I want the FBR to post it to my student address.

Also re: the situation in Ireland-is the latest set of restrictions now going to slow down work again?

cdfly
United States of America

Post by cdfly » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:15 am

Jordann26 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm
For those of you who recently sent proof of pregnancy documentation to expedite your application, how long did it take from the day the documents arrived to FBR to when you received an email from them? Expected delivery date is mid-October so not very far away.
Sister has a due date of 23 August, so it was a bit of a nail biter with the pandemic shutting things down for a while... I wrote URGENT PREGNANT!!! all over the envelopes so that they couldn't possibly miss it :lol:
8 July - Mailed entire application (with proof of pregnancy included)
14 July - Arrived in Ireland
17 July - Received response to FBR website inquiry from DFA officer who then put her application into the case load of one of the doc checkers
27 July - Added to FBR
(Hers only took that long as the officer had to check with the Dept of Justice in regards to a potential declaration of alienage...seems it would have been quicker otherwise)

Faull_guy
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Faull_guy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:12 am

Faull_guy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:22 pm
After a bit of a mix up re my address and my application being put back in holding pile I have finally received my FBR certificate! :D
I was one of the April 2019 applicants as per Sulla’s info below.........

April 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
KAR110 - received April 9th / Pending
Brexit Irishman – received April 14th / Pending
Faull_Guy – received April 16th / Pending
LA8887 – received April 24th / Pending
Fvigaud – received April 26th 2019 / Pending

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Faull_guy wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:12 am
Faull_guy wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:22 pm
After a bit of a mix up re my address and my application being put back in holding pile I have finally received my FBR certificate! :D
I was one of the April 2019 applicants as per Sulla’s info below.........

April 2019 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2019.
KAR110 - received April 9th / Pending
Brexit Irishman – received April 14th / Pending
Faull_Guy – received April 16th / Pending
LA8887 – received April 24th / Pending
Fvigaud – received April 26th 2019 / Pending
Congrats---hope to see some May applicants getting their acceptance soon. I'm late June and it'd give me some hope ;)
jgclancy

DanaMarie
Ireland

Post by DanaMarie » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:41 pm

_CATG_ wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:42 pm
I'm still a bit far off (8th July acknowledgement of application) but does anyone know if the FBR will post the certificate to somewhere other than the address you wrote on the application form in any circumstances? I am a student with a home address (one I used on the application form) and a student term-time address, but I want the FBR to post it to my student address.

Also re: the situation in Ireland-is the latest set of restrictions now going to slow down work again?
You will be contacted at the end of the application process to provide current address information, and if the process remains the same a year from now you will need to send proof of new address to have your FBR certificate and supporting documents sent to that address which is different than the one on your application.
If you only just submitted your application last month you should expect the 12-18 month time frame that the DFA is now stating, given that they were around 10-12 months prior to the pandemic it seems likely that they're accounting for the shutdown in the new guidance.

Roonil Wazlib
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Roonil Wazlib » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Quick Q before I submit and make my first official waiting post!

How seriously should I take ‘personally known to you’ when selecting a witness to my application? I have an appointment with a Notary Public this afternoon who I have never met, but I’m getting nervous.

Having just moved to a new country, my options are thin on the ground as I barely know anyone! :|

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Roonil Wazlib wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:29 pm
Quick Q before I submit and make my first official waiting post!

How seriously should I take ‘personally known to you’ when selecting a witness to my application? I have an appointment with a Notary Public this afternoon who I have never met, but I’m getting nervous.

Having just moved to a new country, my options are thin on the ground as I barely know anyone! :|
If you have met them in person then technically they are personally known to you. That should be absolutely fine. I managed to get the General Counsel at the company I work for to do it for me so I guess I was pretty lucky to have someone close to hand but you will be fine with the Notary Public.

derekkn
Newly Registered

Post by derekkn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking on here for ages (thanks so much for all the useful tips!) but now it's my turn to ask a question.

I submitted my online application in July 2019 but submitted my certificates and other documentation in November 2019 because I had to tie up some loose ends. Do you think I'm in the July application cohort or the November one? I'm just trying to work out how close to victory I am :)

Also, I got a divorce in July 2020. Do I need to send any documents to this effect to the DFE, do you think, or is my application still considered valid? I am claiming citizenship through my paternal grandmother, so nothing to do with the application depends on my ex.

Thank you very much for reading.

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by cordatum » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:55 am

derekkn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking on here for ages (thanks so much for all the useful tips!) but now it's my turn to ask a question.

I submitted my online application in July 2019 but submitted my certificates and other documentation in November 2019 because I had to tie up some loose ends. Do you think I'm in the July application cohort or the November one? I'm just trying to work out how close to victory I am :)

Also, I got a divorce in July 2020. Do I need to send any documents to this effect to the DFE, do you think, or is my application still considered valid? I am claiming citizenship through my paternal grandmother, so nothing to do with the application depends on my ex.

When did you get the email confirming receipt of your application? I believe that date determines the cohort.

Re. the divorce, I would think it only matters if your name will be changing as a result.

derekkn
Newly Registered

Post by derekkn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:29 pm

cordatum wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:55 am
derekkn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am
Hi everyone.

When did you get the email confirming receipt of your application? I believe that date determines the cohort.

Re. the divorce, I would think it only matters if your name will be changing as a result.

Ah okay, so I'm in the November cohort. Boo! I suppose I'll be waiting until summer 2021 for the good news. And the divorce didn't include any name change at all, so I'm glad that won't be a problem. Thank you for the help!

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:22 am

they took down their “we’re closed” banner!!!

thecastle2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by thecastle2 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm

Just got my address confirmation e-mail yesterday, so it looks like the FBR is proceeding forward with applications.

Application submitted online: 30 April 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 8 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 26 August 2020
Added to FBR:
Congrats email:
FBR certificate received:

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm

thecastle2 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Just got my address confirmation e-mail yesterday, so it looks like the FBR is proceeding forward with applications.

Application submitted online: 30 April 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 8 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 26 August 2020
Added to FBR:
Congrats email:
FBR certificate received:
Congrats!!!! Good to see a May date!

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm

Quick question. I'm about to submit my application over the weekend. I've got a copy of both my and my mom's passports on the same piece of paper. Will this be alright or will I need to get a new photocopy of them on separate pieces of paper?

JMcA
Newly Registered

Post by JMcA » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:21 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, its been a lifesaver.

I sent my application on 08/07/2020 during the lockdown, so I'm not expecting to be added to the FBR for a LONG time.

My question is - has anyone else who sent their documents during the lockdown received a confirmation of receipt email?

Thanks all.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:17 pm

There has been movement on my daughter's application! (From May 2019.) I've received an email asking for updated photos!

Does anyone know if they accept electronic photos? Obviously I'll email and ask, but wondered if anyone here knew?

We've just got back from Spain (we had to go due to a death in my wife's family), so as per UK law we're in quarantine for two weeks. It would be so much easier if they accept electronic photos!
Last edited by Pipefish on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Real Brexit Irishman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Real Brexit Irishman » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Update: Journey is complete!

Folks, I have my Irish passport in my hand. So grateful & excited! My timeline ends as follows:

April 2019: Documents received in Balbriggan.
July 27 2020: Confirmation of Address email.
August 4th: Congratulations email.
Added to FBR July 27th 2020.
Applied via passport online from UK & sent forms early August.
Passport received in less than 3 weeks!

I am no longer the (Real) Brexit Irishman, I am just another Irishman! 😊😁 Best of luck to everyone going forward.

Slán!

_CATG_
Newly Registered

Post by _CATG_ » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Pipefish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:17 pm
There has been movement on my daughter's application! (From May 2019.) I've received an email asking for updated photos!

Does anyone know if they accept electronic photos? Obviously I'll email and ask, but wondered if anyone here knew?

We've just got back from Spain (we had to go due to a death in my wife's family), so as per UK law we're in quarantine for two weeks. It would be so much easier if they accept electronic photos!
Congrats-I think unfortunately updated proofs/photos have to be sent in to Balbriggan (remember seeing an earlier poster having to send updated proofs of address to Balbriggan). Would you mind also sharing the date of the confirmation of receipt application so we know how far along in May 2019 they've got to

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Pipefish wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Mind sharing the age of your daughter? I applied for mine around your time (she was barely 1 month old at that time), but still didnt receive any contact from them.

Also, if you ask them, verify if they need to be witnessed or not. Cheers

Lynyrd
Newly Registered

Post by Lynyrd » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for some time but finally have some good news so thought I would share my timescale particularly for those those worried re pregnancy.

16th June 2019: Application submitted
1st July 2019: Documents received in Balbriggan.
28th August 2020: Confirmation of Address email.

I learned my girlfriend was expectant in March. I called through and was told not to worry but get in touch later in the year if still not heard anything. In late June I wrote to Balbriggan to explain the circumstances and enclosed a copy of the UK NHS pregnancy paperwork. Last week I sent an email via the online form detailed up thread. On the 28th of August I received an email explaining they had expeditied my application as I am an expectant parent, stated they have added me to the register and that I should reply with my home address and should receive the certificate and return of the documents shortly.

I am not sure if it was the letter or email which sped up my application but for those expectant parents that are becoming worried it might be worth doing both.

Good luck everyone!

Michael

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:35 am

Mind sharing the age of your daughter? I applied for mine around your time (she was barely 1 month old at that time), but still didnt receive any contact from them.

Also, if you ask them, verify if they need to be witnessed or not. Cheers

She's nearly 18 months old. I filled in the application when she was about 3 weeks old (online) and sent in my documents at the end of May 2019. The date on my 'application received' email is the 21st of May 2019.

I've taken new photos and uploaded them to a photo print service to get physical copies in the post. Then my plan is to print out the (tracked and signed for) postage online and get a neighbour to pick it up off my doorstep and stick it in a post box. - no way I'm waiting till the end of my quarantine!

It says in the email that the new photos don't have to be witnessed or proofed in any way.