ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Lopand
Poland

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Lopand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:50 am

Lopand wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 pm
I contacted the Home Office today and they clarified the information that a few of you brought here. Apparently, the HO started printing and sending new invitations/certificates on August 7th and we should expect to receive them by post within 10-12 weeks from August 7th onwards.

To clarify: the count of 10-12 weeks doesn't start from the date that your application was approved, but from August 7th (that means we should receive them by October 30th).

I hope that it helps. Let's be patient.
The Home Office already clarified that it's 10-12 weeks starting from August 7th, meaning by the end of October.

sunny007

Post by sunny007 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am

Hi guys

I have receieved approval and invitation letter on 23 march , still me council has not recieved my certificate, I have been in contact with my council from march but they have not recieved my certificate, I have contacted home office through emails and phone, but no proper response received till date, just automatic response. I am not sure in this difficult time who i need to contact? I think my certificate has been lost during post, but not sure, because we are unable to track this info, atleast Home office should develop a system like passport application where applicant can track there application, we all are suffering alot mentally.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 am

Lopand wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:50 am
Lopand wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 pm
I contacted the Home Office today and they clarified the information that a few of you brought here. Apparently, the HO started printing and sending new invitations/certificates on August 7th and we should expect to receive them by post within 10-12 weeks from August 7th onwards.

To clarify: the count of 10-12 weeks doesn't start from the date that your application was approved, but from August 7th (that means we should receive them by October 30th).

I hope that it helps. Let's be patient.
The Home Office already clarified that it's 10-12 weeks starting from August 7th, meaning by the end of October.
Thank you. That is helpful.
That explains the Maximum wait is until end of October for everyone now no matter how long they’re waiting by now.
And like my example shows it can happen that some have it before.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 am

And just received an update from my council as well and it’s exactly the same they said two weeks ago.

“ The home office send them in weekly despatches and the ones received last week were issued at the end of March.”

Runner12345
Newly Registered

Post by Runner12345 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 am

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 am
And just received an update from my council as well and it’s exactly the same they said two weeks ago.

“ The home office send them in weekly despatches and the ones received last week were issued at the end of March.”
Would be so much easier, if all councils were like Merton and would publish the references on their website. Then at least, we could check whether they have our certificates or not, rather than annoying them with calls / emails.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 am

Runner12345 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:43 am
Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 am

Would be so much easier, if all councils were like Merton and would publish the references on their website. Then at least, we could check whether they have our certificates or not, rather than annoying them with calls / emails.
My council has still that very useful information on their website, even when they have started a month ago.

“ We'll soon be starting to book new ceremonies for those who have had a ceremony cancelled. If you have not already contacted us, please email us with your Home Office Reference number to”

sear
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by sear » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Update from Warwickshire county council:
https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/births- ... ceremonies

Group ceremonies are currently suspended.

We are resuming individual ceremonies on a case-by-case basis only. Please see the additional information below for instructions on how to book an individual ceremony*.

*If you have been notified by the Home Office that your application for British Citizenship was successful, you MUST wait for another letter from them called 'CITIZENSHIP INVITATION' to book and attend a Citizenship Ceremony. This is also stated in the third paragraph of your approval letter. You can then call us to book a ceremony, the full details will be established and explained then.

Currently, we are in receipt of some certificates of Naturalisation for cases which were approved back in March. All certificates will come in date order from your successful letters. Therefore, we believe it will take some time before certificates and 'CITIZENSHIP INVITATION' letters are released for post-March approvals.

Once certificates are received at Warwickshire County Council, we are provided with your name and address.

At this stage we will write out to you to contact us if we do not hear from you by phone.

https://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/births- ... ceremonies

Mohahij
Newly Registered

Post by Mohahij » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Citizenship ceremonies
Coronavirus service update:

We are able to offer virtual ceremonies through Microsoft Teams or a group ceremony of 10 citizens.

On completion of virtual ceremonies, certificates will be posted by Royal Mail special delivery and will require a signature on delivery. Please note you must be in the UK for your virtual ceremony.

Group ceremonies will be a short ceremony with no dignitary or official photographer. Each citizen will be able to bring one named guest. No children will be admitted to the ceremony.

To book your ceremony you must have a Home Office invitation letter. We are not able to book a ceremony on an approval/decision letter and any emails received with the incorrect letter will not be responded to as a priority.

If you have received a Home Office invitation letter, please email citizenship@redbridge.gov.uk with your full name, telephone number and attach a copy of your Home Office invitation letter.

You will be contacted by telephone within two to three weeks to book your ceremony.

We are receiving a high number of email enquiries and are not able to respond as quickly as we would like to so please do not email in multiple times as this delays responding to everyone sooner. Once you have submitted an email request you should wait for us to call you to book your ceremony.

To become a British citizen you must meet the criteria set out by the Home Office.

Once your application for British Citizenship has been approved by the Home Office, you will receive an invitation letter from the Home Office asking you to contact your local council to book a Citizenship Ceremony. All applicants over the age of 18 are required to attend a Citizenship Ceremony within three months of an invitation letter.

There are two types of Citizenship Ceremonies you can have; a group ceremony and a private ceremony.

Group Ceremony
A group ceremony is held within the Council Chamber at the Town Hall. There can be up to 40 citizens who say the oath and pledge together as a group. The fee for this ceremony is already paid for as part of your Naturalisation application fee to the Home Office. Once you have received a Home Office invitation letter, you can book a group ceremony online or call the Customer Contact Centre on 020 8554 5000.

Disabled Access
If you or any member of your wedding party or Citizenship Ceremony are disabled or unable to climb the steps at the front of the building, disabled access is available via a ramp at the far end of the front of the Town Hall (located next to HSBC Bank). You will need to download and complete a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEPs) (PDF 320KB) for each disabled person or those with mobility issues attending on the day and return the form to register.office@redbridge.gov.uk 48 hours in advance of the wedding.

There are 25 steps from the ground floor to the first floor where the Council Chambers are located, with 28 external steps from the emergency exit in the Council Chambers. There is a total of 43 steps from the ground floor to the second floor where the Library Suite is situated. There is a lift to all floors within the Town Hall. Disabled toilets are also available within the Town Hall on the Ground and First Floors.

FAQs about Group Citizenship Ceremonies at Redbridge Town Hall

Private ceremony
A private ceremony is held at the Register Office.

From 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021, the fee for a private ceremony is £102 for an individual on a weekday and £123 for an individual on a Saturday.

There is no fee for children under the age of 18 attending with their parent to collect their certificate. Private ceremonies are booked by contacting the Register Office.

If you are unable to attend a Citizenship Ceremony within the required time period, please email citizenship@redbridge.gov.uk to discuss.

View the Affirmation of Allegiance (PDF 47KB) and the Oath of Allegiance (PDF 44KB) used in Citizenship Ceremonies.

Please tell us what you think about our services by completing our Customer Survey

Rate this pageFeedback on this page
Gov.uk logo
London Borough of Redbridge
About accessibility
Privacy and cookies
Redbridge Life

Feedback
Terms of use
Leader's blog
Maps
Facebook opens in a new window Twitter opens in a new window YouTube opens in a new window Instagram opens in a new window
© 2020 Redbridge Council

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:41 pm

There's no point in copying each of your council's citizenship ceremonies pages here. We can all check our own council's page. What should be updated here is any updates from the Home Office and whether any members received their invitation letter.

nnn15

Post by nnn15 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:27 pm

If the weekly regular certificates deliveries indeed restarted last week, people should start receiving ceremony letters this or next week (there is some lag as apparently certificates are sent via special delivery and invitation letters via second class mail). So if someone receives a ceremony invitation letter please post here to give us some hope!

uuee6543

Post by uuee6543 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:42 pm

I have been in touch with my local Camden Council Registration Service Manager and he emailed me today suggesting that I continue checking if my certificate has been received on their website rather than calling as they receive a high volume of calls.

Whenever I check on their website the message reads: ‘Your record cannot be retrieved(...)’ so I guess I have to keep waiting. Incidentally they told me they were unable to confirm if the certificates arrive with special delivery and one of the registration workers has even suggested that invitations ‘usually arrive before the certificates’. Not sure who to trust now.

Mohahij
Newly Registered

Post by Mohahij » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 pm

I just got an answer from my council

Dear ******

I still have not received your certificate.

As advised in an earlier email, once you receive your Home Office invitation letter, email a copy of it to me with your telephone number and I will call you to book an appointment.

Regards,

That's just like a tennis ball throwing us one to another .

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Likely it’s best to see that from a positive side now.
It might come when we don’t expect it as surprise.

I remember the wait for Biometrics felt endless and suddenly there was an email.
Will be the same with that and the good thing is we are all approved and they just need to provide us with a ceremony at some point.

I just hope it will be still this year so don’t need to use settled status anywhere.

viv197
Newly Registered
France

Post by viv197 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Frou01, I don't understand what would be the problem of using settled status? In fact, who would even ask for this to be evidenced? I had to let my employer know and I sent them a copy of the letter and link to verify it and that was it. I assume your landlord could ask for a check that you have the right to rent in the UK, but that's it I think? For day to day life I don't know why that would be a problem. But I may be mistaken?

Thank you all who have posted updates on the HO resuming invitation letters. If anyone get's one of these, please do let the rest of us know!

Small

Post by Small » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Called my council today and receptionist said there is nothing on council website for ceremonies. Rang HO and after a long hold wait for reply and at the end HO repeated the same shyte i.e due to corona virus our services are limited and need waiting. Then I rang registrar office and reception told that they have resumed ceremonies. But no certificates from HO. What can I say ..., it’s unfair HO is treating us worse than hunter gatherers.
I am done with HO and will forget for Citizenship letter. I will never apply / advise anyone for Citizenship due to the bizarre attitude of HO. I will be never proud of Citizenship after getting it.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:59 pm

viv197 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:45 pm
Frou01, I don't understand what would be the problem of using settled status? In fact, who would even ask for this to be evidenced? I had to let my employer know and I sent them a copy of the letter and link to verify it and that was it. I assume your landlord could ask for a check that you have the right to rent in the UK, but that's it I think? For day to day life I don't know why that would be a problem. But I may be mistaken?

Thank you all who have posted updates on the HO resuming invitation letters. If anyone get's one of these, please do let the rest of us know!
To make it short, maybe have a read at the 3 Million and their campaign.
If you are fine with providing everywhere your status it’s fine.
But let it be my choice if I don’t want that.
I went through a long, expensive hard process for citizenship and I shall not need to accept it.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:59 pm
viv197 wrote:

I went through a long, expensive hard process for citizenship and I shall not need to accept it.
Us non eu people ALWAYS have to provide evidence of our status in UK 😂😂😂 not sure what is the problem for eu people to do the same?

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:21 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:13 pm
Frou01 wrote:
viv197 wrote:

Us non eu people ALWAYS have to provide evidence of our status in UK 😂😂😂 not sure what is the problem for eu people to do the same?
We never had to, please look up free movement.
I think people are used to living here freely without proving at every step they are allowed to live and work here.
Brexit wasn’t their decision.

Besides non EU citizens have physical proof which would make that easy but it’s denied to EU citizens who are worried their digital only status is not as convenient as your card.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:21 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Frou01 wrote:
viv197 wrote:

I think people are used to living here freely without proving at every step they are allowed to live and work here.

Besides non EU citizens have physical proof which would make that easy but it’s denied to EU citizens who are worried their digital only status is not as convenient as your card.
Well things have changed, you have to get used to it now i’m afraid. I think you are being over dramatic, nobody is going to kick you out of UK or take your status away from you. Oh and dont tell me our cards are convenient, it costs us over £2500 to replace our BRP card if we lose it - you really think this is convenient? (Plus we will need to go through biometrics again for that replacement)

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Guys, no invitation from the HO yet. My lawyer said she would send them a letter or email asking for an update. Any chance they'll ever reply to her. What's the best way to get in contact with HO. Thier contact number and email are useless because they never reply properly to either.

Who else still waiting over 11 weeks for their invitation here. I had hopes of getting an ivitation last week but no luck. Also my lawyer asked me if I got an invitation even though she's acting as my correspondent. Any chance it was delivered in my address? We have records of mail getting lost (worried).

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Raihanul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 pm
Guys, no invitation from the HO yet. My lawyer said she would send them a letter or email asking for an update. Any chance they'll ever reply to her. What's the best way to get in contact with HO. Thier contact number and email are useless because they never reply properly to either.

Who else still waiting over 11 weeks for their invitation here. I had hopes of getting an ivitation last week but no luck. Also my lawyer asked me if I got an invitation even though she's acting as my correspondent. Any chance it was delivered in my address? We have records of mail getting lost (worried).
You can always contact your council and ask them to check if they've received your certificate. I've been waiting since my approval in May, no update, no invitation, nothing.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:29 pm

oxana777 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:02 pm
Frou01 wrote:
oxana777 wrote:
Frou01 wrote:

Well things have changed, you have to get used to it now i’m afraid. I think you are being over dramatic, nobody is going to kick you out of UK or take your status away from you. Oh and dont tell me our cards are convenient, it costs us over £2500 to replace our BRP card if we lose it - you really think this is convenient? (Plus we will need to go through biometrics again for that replacement)
I think EU citizens approved for citizenship shouldn’t need that “or get used to something” unless you didn’t understand how citizenship works....or did you join the wrong thread here? That’s the waiting lounge for citizenship ceremonies!

For those who don’t apply or apply later it’s a different story and they indeed need to get used to it to these new terms.
I have spoken to many EU citizens being approved and waiting and have the same concern.
Also people up in that thread have expressed the same concern and I’m sure you might agree people’s individual concerns should be respected even when you don’t agree.

Also you cannot compare the two situations all EU citizens came under different terms, their ILR is entirely free and easy to get.

However if you any interest why this is going to be a problem then again you find a lot of information on campaigners pages named above that a digital only status will be very difficult to handle in future for those who need to provide it often as self employed, to banks, Nhs, landlords by moving and so on.
It was reported the status cannot be accessed by everyone without problems, sometimes no or wrong data appear and so on.

Let’s hope until the end of the year we all have our ceremony and that shouldn’t be an issue then.

oxana777
Mood:
Kazakhstan

Post by oxana777 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:29 pm
oxana777 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:02 pm
Frou01 wrote:
oxana777 wrote:

I think EU citizens approved for citizenship shouldn’t need that “or get used to something” unless you didn’t understand how citizenship works....or did you join the wrong thread here? That’s the waiting lounge for citizenship ceremonies!

For those who don’t apply or apply later it’s a different story and they indeed need to get used to it to these new terms.
I have spoken to many EU citizens being approved and waiting and have the same concern.
Also people up in that thread have expressed the same concern and I’m sure you might agree people’s individual concerns should be respected even when you don’t agree.

Also you cannot compare the two situations all EU citizens came under different terms, their ILR is entirely free and easy to get.

However if you any interest why this is going to be a problem then again you find a lot of information on campaigners pages named above that a digital only status will be very difficult to handle in future for those who need to provide it often as self employed, to banks, Nhs, landlords by moving and so on.
It was reported the status cannot be accessed by everyone without problems, sometimes no or wrong data appear and so on.

Let’s hope until the end of the year we all have our ceremony and that shouldn’t be an issue then.

I think you are the one who clearly don't understand the concept of a citizenship here..British Citizenship is when somebody becomes British. And if you want to become British - you need to pay for this and you need to do a ceremony etc. its' a choice. nobody is forcing you to become British, and nobody is telling you that you have to become one. All EU citizens have been given the right to stay in UK and live here and work here (which you all were given for free by the way, it is called a "settled status") - and this is enough for EU citizens to live and work in UK, so I don't understand what is the exact issue? nobody is kicking anyone out of UK, and nobody is forcing you to pay and become british. you can stay in UK forever on your settled status.

Btw I am in the right thread, you are in the wrong one because you keep taking about some nonexistent issue that apparently EU people are facing because the don't have a BRP card. Please stick to the main subject which is British Citizenship. it has got nothing to do with where you from at this stage.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Alright, that’s a bit absurd now.

Where do I say I don’t want to do a ceremony or pay for the application.

Calm down, it’s paid and approved and I‘m waiting for the ceremony as everyone else I assume on that thread.

So I guess we can stop that topic then like you said (and we ALL them will stop talking about it as you clearly do too!) and just waiting for our ceremony.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:58 pm

Yes, citizenship is a privilege, not a right; but it's a privilege that we paid good money for and invested much of our time and efforts in the process, Therefore now we do have the right to be concerned and frustrated because we're not receiving the timely and effective service that we paid for. That's all.