ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working from overseas during Covid19 on a Global Talent visa

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BravoCharlie

Working from overseas during Covid19 on a Global Talent visa

Post by BravoCharlie » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:51 am

Dear all,

I have a job offer from a UK employer and my proposed start date is 01 October 2020. I have applied for a Global Talent visa and expect to get a decision on my Stage 1 application in the next couple of weeks. I would appreciate if someone can help answer the following questions:

1. If my application for Global Talent visa is successful, can I start working remotely before entering the UK. My employer is fine with such an arrangement.

If yes, then,

2. I understand that once the visa is issued, one is required to enter the UK within 30 days. Is it possible to renew the visa if I cannot travel to the UK within 30 days due to the current Covid-19 situation? If yes, can I still keep working remotely while I have applied for the renewal of my visa?

Regards,

BravoCharlie

WRWR
Russia

Re: Working from overseas during Covid19 on a Global Talent visa

Post by WRWR » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:44 pm

In my opinion..

1) Yes, you can start working remotely from other country. You do not even have to wait for Stage 1 decision and you do not need a visa for that.

You'll probably work as a self-employed person in your current country of residence, but you'll just get paid from the UK. You'll have to deal with local taxes & rules related to self-employment.

You'll need a Global Talent visa only when you actually move to the UK.

2) You can request a replacement 30 days entry clearance if necessary: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... 0of%202020.

You can keep working remotely as long as it is necessary.

BravoCharlie

Re: Working from overseas during Covid19 on a Global Talent visa

Post by BravoCharlie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:24 pm

WRWR wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:44 pm
In my opinion..

1) Yes, you can start working remotely from other country. You do not even have to wait for Stage 1 decision and you do not need a visa for that.

You'll probably work as a self-employed person in your current country of residence, but you'll just get paid from the UK. You'll have to deal with local taxes & rules related to self-employment.

You'll need a Global Talent visa only when you actually move to the UK.

2) You can request a replacement 30 days entry clearance if necessary: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... 0of%202020.

You can keep working remotely as long as it is necessary.
Dear WRWR,

Many thanks for your response. If that's the case, that's great news. I will confirm this further with my employer.

However, I will probably need to apply for a Global Talent visa soon anyway, as my wife has also been offered a position for which she is required to do a DBS check. One of the documents required for her DBS check is her 'work permit'. Our plan was to use her visa (Dependent of a Global Talent visa holder) as her work permit as the dependent of a Global Talent visa holder, she will be eligible to work full time in the UK.

So, ideally, the plan is: I get my Global Talent visa by 15 Oct. On 16 Oct., we start working remotely for our respective employers. Our 30-day visa expires on 15 Nov. So, we apply to extend it till 15 January (which is the date we plan to move to the UK). Would it be possible to extend the visa up to 15 January? Will we still be eligible to work in the UK while our visa is being extended?

Many thanks : )