ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iwerjk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by iwerjk » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 pm

An update on my application. I just received the email confirming my address! :D
One thing to note is it was from an @dfa.ie address not an @dfat.ie address. So you may want to add that to your email filters.

Application submitted online: 04 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 14 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 4 September 2020
Congrats email: pending
FBR certificate received: pending

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:17 pm

iwerjk wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:58 pm
An update on my application. I just received the email confirming my address! :D
One thing to note is it was from an @dfa.ie address not an @dfat.ie address. So you may want to add that to your email filters.

Congrats email: pending
Congrats!!Hope they get through May applicants fast!

jgclancy

Emrosc
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Emrosc » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Emrosc wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:54 pm
How long is the average wait between the address confirmation email and the congratulations email? My brother and I jointly applied, and both received our address confirmation emails on August 13th. We both responded quickly with emailed address proof, and he's already received his congratulations email (August 31st). I still haven't heard anything regarding mine, however.

Update: Used the chat function on their contact page to find out where my application is at in the process... turns out it was approved on Sept 1st! I never received the congrats email; but happy to hear my certificate is on the way. Nice they have a chat in place now since their phone lines are down for questions.

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... tizenship/

Application sent: 11 April 2019 from MN, USA
Email confirmation of receipt of application: 30 April 2019
Address confirmation email: 13 August 2020
Date added to FBR: 1 September 2020
Certificate Received: Pending

Lynyrd
Newly Registered

Post by Lynyrd » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Jordann26 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:47 pm
Lynyrd wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:24 pm
Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for some time but finally have some good news so thought I would share my timescale particularly for those those worried re pregnancy.

16th June 2019: Application submitted
1st July 2019: Documents received in Balbriggan.
28th August 2020: Confirmation of Address email.

I learned my girlfriend was expectant in March. I called through and was told not to worry but get in touch later in the year if still not heard anything. In late June I wrote to Balbriggan to explain the circumstances and enclosed a copy of the UK NHS pregnancy paperwork. Last week I sent an email via the online form detailed up thread. On the 28th of August I received an email explaining they had expeditied my application as I am an expectant parent, stated they have added me to the register and that I should reply with my home address and should receive the certificate and return of the documents shortly.

I am not sure if it was the letter or email which sped up my application but for those expectant parents that are becoming worried it might be worth doing both.

Good luck everyone!

Michael
Thank you for sharing this update. I mailed proof of pregnancy and it arrived a little over 2 weeks ago but I haven't heard anything. I emailed them via the general online form, even tho it says FBR not handled there, asking for an update last Thursday but I have not heard anything yet. Do you know how many days it took after you emailed for them to get back to you? I'm just getting worried b/c due date is Oct 15 and if I need to send anything else it can be cutting it close.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I would estimate 8 weeks after I sent the letter and about 2-3 after sending the email.

Cheers

Michael

Lynyrd
Newly Registered

Post by Lynyrd » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Further to my reply above, my certificate arrived today in a bundle with all my original documents. Included with that was the NHS maternity exemption certificate I posted through to Ireland about 8 weeks ago. As such I imagine it was the letter rather than the email that sped up the process for me as an expectant parent but perhaps it would still be wise for others who are expectant to do send both just Incase.

leopoldo1878
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by leopoldo1878 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 am

Just to update:
Application submitted online: 12 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 21 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 31 August 2020
Congrats email: 1 September 2020
FBR certificate received: 5 September 2020

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:25 am

leopoldo1878 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:30 am
Just to update:
Application submitted online: 12 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 21 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 31 August 2020
Congrats email: 1 September 2020
FBR certificate received: 5 September 2020
Seems like they're fast with the certificates now! I was expecting to wait weeks, if not months, for my daughter's.

fitzycyprus
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Post by fitzycyprus » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Good news today I wanted to share. Thankyou to everyone on the forum for giving me strength, resilience and hope in this process.
Online application made: First week of February 2019
Documents sent to Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus: First week of February 2019
FBR certificate: Printed 1st September 2020
Documents being sent to the Embassy: later this week.

Now, proud and Irish. Passport application next. Good luck to everyone.

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 am

So, my FBR journey has finally begun! I originally decided to apply when the result of the EU referendum was announced but held off to allow those who really needed it to get their applications in. Now that the DFA is open for business again I think the time is finally right. Even so, if I could have submitted a "low priority" application (perhaps for a reduced fee, or something) I would have. After years of living, working and travelling around Europe I simply want to retain those privileges in the future-perhaps even retiring to another country. From the looks of things, the processing time is around 15 months but perhaps that will come down now that the immediate post-Brexit rush is over. Hopefully my application will go smoothly as both my maternal grandparents were born and bred in Northern Ireland and it was easy enough to get all of the necessary paperwork together-a few spelling inconsistencies between some of the documents but nothing major. Good luck to all my fellow applicants and here's my data:

Online application: 28.08.2020
Posted: 28.08.2020
Delivered to Balbriggan: 02.09.2020
Email acknowledgement of receipt: 03.09.2020
All the rest of it: <pending>

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:17 am

MikeyMike wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:56 am
So, my FBR journey has finally begun! I originally decided to apply when the result of the EU referendum was announced but held off to allow those who really needed it to get their applications in. Now that the DFA is open for business again I think the time is finally right. Even so, if I could have submitted a "low priority" application (perhaps for a reduced fee, or something) I would have. After years of living, working and travelling around Europe I simply want to retain those privileges in the future-perhaps even retiring to another country. From the looks of things, the processing time is around 15 months but perhaps that will come down now that the immediate post-Brexit rush is over. Hopefully my application will go smoothly as both my maternal grandparents were born and bred in Northern Ireland and it was easy enough to get all of the necessary paperwork together-a few spelling inconsistencies between some of the documents but nothing major. Good luck to all my fellow applicants and here's my data:

Online application: 28.08.2020
Posted: 28.08.2020
Delivered to Balbriggan: 02.09.2020
Email acknowledgement of receipt: 03.09.2020
All the rest of it: <pending>
Good luck! My advice would be to forget about it for now and get on with your life as you’ll definitely be waiting for over a year. It’s absolutely worth it when you get the congratulations email though :)

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:15 pm

Just got my congratulations email!

Application received email: 21st of May 2019.
Request for new photographs: 27th of August 2020.
Confirmation of address: 4th of September 2020.
Congratulations email: 9th of September 2020.

It says my daughter's certificate has been posted, so I expect it'll only take a day or two to get to the UK.

Near enough 16 months since I filled out the original online application.

So, after the EU referendum - I claimed my Irish citizenship, my wife claimed her Dutch citizenship and now our daughter is Irish too. We have the full set, all ready.

TrishMc
United States of America

Post by TrishMc » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pm

Pipefish wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:15 pm
Just got my congratulations email!

It says my daughter's certificate has been posted, so I expect it'll only take a day or two to get to the UK.

Near enough 16 months since I filled out the original online application.

So, after the EU referendum - I claimed my Irish citizenship, my wife claimed her Dutch citizenship and now our daughter is Irish too. We have the full set, all ready.
Hi Pipefish,
Congrats on your progress! I'm curious if you can can why new photographs were requested? And did you need to have them stamped by the same person that stamped the first set?

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 am

TrishMc wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Hi Pipefish,
Congrats on your progress! I'm curious if you can can why new photographs were requested? And did you need to have them stamped by the same person that stamped the first set?

I'm not 100% sure - they didn't say why it was. But I think it's because she was only three weeks old at the time of the original application. She obviously looks completely different now she's nearly 18 months old.

I've seen people on her talk about being asked for new photos before, but I've never really taken any notice of which applications are asked for new photos.

The email requesting the photos said they don't need to be stamped or witnessed or approved by anyone. I literally took a photo on my phone against a white background and uploaded it to an Irish photo shop's website, I cropped it using their online editing tools and they printed it as a passport photo (×4) and sent it direct. I just added by application number as a line in the Balbriggan address.

I got her to sit still by putting 'Hey Duggee' on a screen in front of her - if you aren't from the UK, google it, it's amazing.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:48 pm

I've just got back from the Post Office having finally posted my application!!! It's taken over four years to manage to get everything together. I submitted my application online on 2nd September so it's taken me nine days to get the form witnessed. Mine was a joint application between me and my brother so it'll be interesting to see whether that changes the processing time.

Now just to wait for the confirmation email and another 12-18 months...

FieldsOfAthenry
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by FieldsOfAthenry » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm

I saw this question under the FAQ section of the FBR site:
Have you received my application and documentation?

We advise you to send your application by recorded post so that you can track its delivery, as we do not acknowledge receipt of post.
I was a bit worried, as I mailed in application via USPS in late February and haven't received an email acknowledging it's receipt, despite the USPS tracking showing it was delivered. Now I know why.
What is the current status of my application?

At present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration it takes approximately 12 -18 months to process a completed Foreign Birth Registration application. If we require further documentation we will contact you.
It's also interesting to see that the stated processing time is now 12-18 months. I recall it being 12-13 months when I applied in February.

orteroachine
Newly Registered

Post by orteroachine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am

FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm

We advise you to send your application by recorded post so that you can track its delivery, as we do not acknowledge receipt of post.
I was a bit worried, as I mailed in application via USPS in late February and haven't received an email acknowledging it's receipt, despite the USPS tracking showing it was delivered. Now I know why.
Does anyone know whether not acknowledging receipt of post is a new policy? I received an email confirming that my application had been received back on 2 Jan 2020, and assumed this meant they had received my documents in the post, but am now wondering if this only referred to the online application?

I ask because the UK Royal Mail track and trace service never actually said my documents had been delivered, but has continuously said 'in transit' since 29 Dec 2019... I stopped being concerned about this after I received the confirmation email as I assumed that meant they'd received them, but this FAQ answer has made me wonder now!

BigDaddy100
United States of America

Post by BigDaddy100 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:00 am

orteroachine wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am
FieldsOfAthenry wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Does anyone know whether not acknowledging receipt of post is a new policy? I received an email confirming that my application had been received back on 2 Jan 2020, and assumed this meant they had received my documents in the post, but am now wondering if this only referred to the online application?

I ask because the UK Royal Mail track and trace service never actually said my documents had been delivered, but has continuously said 'in transit' since 29 Dec 2019... I stopped being concerned about this after I received the confirmation email as I assumed that meant they'd received them, but this FAQ answer has made me wonder now!
In July 2019, I received a reply that mentioned both the application and the documentation:

"Your application and supporting documentation for your application for Foreign Birth Registration has now been received. Applications can take up to 6 months to process and we will be in touch with you should we require any additional documentation or clarifications."

They received my docs about a week after I submitted the application. Note the estimated six months to process. Simpler times. Still waiting patiently in month 14. Best of luck to you.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 am

I'm happy to say that my daughter's application is now complete!

FBR certificate received: 14th of September 2020.

The envelope says, 'Signature required', at the top. But they just stuck it through my letterbox like a normal letter.
Possibly because of Covid-19?

Now onto the passport application! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

expatlux
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by expatlux » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:29 am

expatlux wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:38 pm
My timeline thus far:

April 17, 2019 Applied online.
May 14, 2019 Application received based on An Post tracking.
May 14, 2019 dfat.ie confirmation email that application and supporting documentation received.

An infant with a naturalised Irish citizen parent should, in theory, be one of the most straight forward FBR applications possible. Applied from within Ireland. I'm hoping FBR will be processed and we'll have baby's Irish passport by Christmas (of 2019 haha).
Applied online: April 17, 2019
Acknowledgement of documents email: May 14, 2019
Confirmation of address email: September 3, 2020
Congratulations email: September 10, 2020
Date added to FBR: September 7, 2020
Certificate & original documents received: Today! September 14, 2020

I love how I was hopeful of officially having an Irish baby by Christmas of 2019!

As a comment on infant photos, we live in Ireland (if that makes any difference), and we didn't have to submit updated photos. The photo on her FBR is her at age 5 weeks, no resemblance to her now eighteen-month-old self.

On Saturday I got her Irish passport photos done, and it was far less of an ordeal than the original photos!

Iamsouthy
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Iamsouthy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Documents received at Office: Feb 2019

So, I had been told in May 2019 I should be approved by december 2019, but that never happened. I called in Jan/Feb of this year and for some reason they couldn't find my application, then COVID hit.

I messaged the online chat on Thursday Sept 10 and was told that my application number was a completely different number. Not sure how that even happened, but I was assured that my FBR would be worked on right away and sent out ASAP, as that's their policy. Good thing I sent a message, so that it could be flagged.

So good news that I'll be getting my FBR document sometime this month or early October. Talk about waiting long enough and the fact they messed up my number. At least we only have to do this once!

My advice to those who haven't heard anything from April 2019 or before, MESSAGE THEM. They most likely forgot about or misplaced your application.

Jordann26
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Jordann26 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi everyone - wanted to send along a final update and thank everyone for their advice. I submitted my application, and my brothers, in Feb 2020. Due to pregnancy, mine was escalated and I received my congratulations email today along with a tracking number for my certificate, which was mailed today. I live in the US and should get it in about a week. My brothers' apps are back in the queue, probably for another 6-7 months. I did ask if theirs could be escalated with mine since we shared all the same paperwork, but they don't permit it.

So happy to be an Irish citizen!

Apps delivered in Dublin: Feb 4, 2020
Receipt of documents: Feb 4, 2020
Letter/proof of pregnancy delivered in Dublin: Aug 14, 2020
Email that FBR app was approved: Sept 1, 2020
Congrats email and confirmation that certificate was mailed: Sept 15, 2020
Certificate delivery: pending

iwerjk
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by iwerjk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Congrats email: 15 September 2020

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:23 pm

iwerjk wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:01 pm
Congrats email: 15 September 2020
Congrats!!...let's keep those May 2019 applications getting done & get to me in June!

jgclancy

fitzycyprus
Newly Registered
Cyprus

Post by fitzycyprus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Latest Update for all:

Online application: February 2019
Documents sent to Irish Embassy in Cyprus: February 2019
Web-chat with FBR team: 6th September 2020: told certificate printed 1st September 2020
Congratulations email from Irish Embassy: 14th September 2020
FBR certificate delivered: 16th September 2020 (actual date added to FBR 20th May 2020)

Delighted, and worth the wait. Good luck to everyone.

JT97

Post by JT97 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am

Just a quick update:

Royal Mail and An Post both notified to say my application had been delivered in Balbriggan on 15th September so I was hopeful to get the email yesterday and know that I was officially in the queue and that the waiting period had begun.

Application submitted online: 2nd September 2020
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 16th September 2020
Confirmation of address email: Pending
Congrats email: Pending
Date added to FBR: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending