ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship timeline tracker.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ChIrl

Post by ChIrl » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:32 am

What about seeking the information under "Right to Information"?

Regards

mendo wrote:Hi Guys,

I've got the same answer, after I've asked for an update last week (I've applied in August 2005).

Basically it looks that we will have to wait at least 4 months more, after the initial 3 years.

The bad thing is that we don't even know if our applications are with the minister yet.

Regards,

Mendo

bloody foreigner

Media pressure, waiting time

Post by bloody foreigner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:26 pm

What you are all forgetting is that the average irish person is about as xenophobic (as distinct from dearly beloved, but that's another story) as it is possible to get, therefore they basically couldn't give a **** about how long we have to wait, this goes all the way from the alcoholic on the street corner to the minister.
In some time ago i got LTR in 7 weeks, my friend has been waiting about 21 months for his.
I have also been monitoring the progress of DoJ regarding citizenship, using published information from various sources. It looks af if 30 months is relatively accurate, but anecdotally, there seems to be a large variation too.
It looks like they mean 30 months until they START processing, then goodnes knows how long to actually do the job.

If anyone gets a "yes", or knows someone who has, please post a note giving their application date.

30 months!!! It is faster to breed elephants!

ChIrl

Letter from Dept

Post by ChIrl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 am

Folks,

I received a letter from the Dept asking me to submit P21, Birth Cert etc today. I submitted my application in March.06. Web site is still not updated though.

Regards

Chirl

cnu

Post by cnu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:27 pm

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlgbeykfid/rss2/

----------
A Government Minister has said a Fine Gael TD is verging on being dearly beloved, because of his suggestion that unemployed foreign nationals could be given a lump sum to go home.

Mary Hanafin was reacting to comments made by Dublin West TD Leo Varadkar at the Oireachtas Committee on Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

He said they could be given up to six months worth of unemployment benefit, not to force them to go home, but as an option.

The Minister for Social and Family Affairs said it would be appalling to make such an offer and would be verging on beloved.
----------------

greentea

Post by greentea » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:32 am

I applied in late Sept 05, I was asked to submit 3 latest bank statements 3 weeks ago.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:31 pm

greentea wrote:I applied in late Sept 05, I was asked to submit 3 latest bank statements 3 weeks ago.
hi Greentea

so you submitted your application in Sept 05 and they asked you for bank statements after you submitted you application? when did they ask you for the bank statements?

thx

greentea

Post by greentea » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 pm

I submitted my application in Sept 2005 with all the required documents (including the bank statements then). Then in Aug this year, they asked me again to submit latest bank statements.

HariOm
Newly Registered

Post by HariOm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:52 pm

cheers
Last edited by HariOm on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Longtime lurker, first-time poster:

I applied in September 2006 and just received a request to submit my spouse's P21, 3 most recent payslips and bank statements as I am currently not in employment.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Letter from Dept

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 am

ChIrl wrote:Folks,

I received a letter from the Dept asking me to submit P21, Birth Cert etc today. I submitted my application in March.06. Web site is still not updated though.

Regards

Chirl
hi Chirl

Just wondering. did they ask you for the up-to-date bank statements as well? and did you submit a P21 when you first submitted your citizenship application?

thx
m

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 am

sideshowsue wrote:Longtime lurker, first-time poster:

I applied in September 2006 and just received a request to submit my spouse's P21, 3 most recent payslips and bank statements as I am currently not in employment.
hi

just wondering. did you apply for citizenship based on working and living in ireland for 5 years or with EU/irish spouse?

thx
m

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:49 am

mktsoi wrote:

hi

just wondering. did you apply for citizenship based on working and living in ireland for 5 years or with EU/irish spouse?

thx
m

I'm a US national married to a French national. I applied for Irish nationality based on 5 years' residence in Ireland.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:53 am

sideshowsue wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

hi

thx
m

I'm a US national married to a French national. I applied for Irish nationality based on 5 years' residence in Ireland.
but did you submit your P21 and bank statements with the application that you have submitted in 2006? or this is extra they asking for?

thx

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 am

I wonder whether the website is perhaps not being as honest as it could be when it claims that "Applications for naturalisation received in February 2006 are currently being processed.".

I suspect that they are processing applications received in February 2006 for refugees, minors and people married to irish citizens (all of whom get priority treatment).
For everybody else, they are probably a lot further behind.

This way, they can be technically correct when they claim that "Applications for naturalisation received in February 2006 are currently being processed.", while not admitting to how long the delay really is.

I hope I'm wrong.

Any thoughts on this?

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:17 am

mktsoi wrote:
sideshowsue wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

hi

thx
m

but did you submit your P21 and bank statements with the application that you have submitted in 2006? or this is extra they asking for?

thx
The documents were submitted at the time of the application, but they now want to know whether I have taken up employment since the time of the application (no) and if not, then to provide the above materials as proof that I'm reliant on my spouse for income.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Guys,

it's amazing how noone knows how long the processing of applications is taking at the moment..I would have thought that any serious organisation like "the immigration council" for example would have the power and would actually keep asking INIS until receiving a decent answer..We really need to know how long we're going to wait..Some people are getting answers after just one year..Others after 3.5 years..Is there some kind of dicrimation here or what? We have to know everything about this filtering process, that seems to be taking place at the INIS, at least in order to find out where we're "really"standing in this long queue...

Patience is NOT the key!

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Fionn wrote:Guys,

it's amazing how noone knows how long the processing of applications is taking at the moment..I would have thought that any serious organisation like "the immigration council" for example would have the power and would actually keep asking INIS until receiving a decent answer..We really need to know how long we're going to wait..Some people are getting answers after just one year..Others after 3.5 years..Is there some kind of dicrimation here or what? We have to know everything about this filtering process, that seems to be taking place at the INIS, at least in order to find out where we're "really"standing in this long queue...

Patience is NOT the key!
hi, the people you mentioned getting an answer after one year. are they applying the citizenship based on irish spouse or working and living in ireland for 5 years?

thx

golwaycat
Newly Registered

Post by golwaycat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Everyone

Can we actually petition Immigration council to take up this issue and formally request Minister of Justice to clarify what does processing of applications received in Feb 06 mean while we are waititng on our applications from Aug 05 ?

can we ?

regards
GC

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Mktsoi: Check page 12 of this Forum:

alica

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everybody!

want to share some info:
friend of mine has got approval for citizenship last week- she applied in June 2007.... (she is spouse of Irish citizen)
it confused me a lot-looks like there are 2 different queues???
another friend of mine applied 1 year earlier (spouse of irish as well), but haven't got anything....
I have applied in 2007 and have received letter with request for birthday and marriage affidafits and form P21 in jun this year...(I am not spouse of irish...)
Does it mean, that my application is in process?...

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:37 pm

golwaycat wrote:Hi Everyone

Can we actually petition Immigration council to take up this issue and formally request Minister of Justice to clarify what does processing of applications received in Feb 06 mean while we are waititng on our applications from Aug 05 ?

can we ?

regards
GC
We probably could do something like that..Has anyone good contacts at this Immigration council ?

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Any official query regarding the excessive processing time is usually fobbed off with the following meaningless standard reply:

"The granting of Irish Citizenship through naturalisation is an honour and applications must be processed in a way which preserves the necessary checks and balances to ensure that it is not undervalued and is given only to persons who satisfy the necessary qualifying criteria. The procedures involved in the processing of applications have been developed and refined over a number of years and I am satisfied that they are necessary to maintain the integrity of the naturalisation process. Consequently, there is a limit to the reduction in the processing time that can be achieved."

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:50 pm

bloody foreigner wrote:Any official query regarding the excessive processing time is usually fobbed off with the following meaningless standard reply:

"The granting of Irish Citizenship through naturalisation is an honour and applications must be processed in a way which preserves the necessary checks and balances to ensure that it is not undervalued and is given only to persons who satisfy the necessary qualifying criteria. The procedures involved in the processing of applications have been developed and refined over a number of years and I am satisfied that they are necessary to maintain the integrity of the naturalisation process. Consequently, there is a limit to the reduction in the processing time that can be achieved."
i think i can only partly agree with you. yes, it should not be undervalued. i dont know if you are one of those people waiting in the long line up for them to look at your application. do you know how un fair would that be if a person cannot renew their permission to remain in the country after 5 years because they lost their job in a situation such as their company bankrupt or moved to other country and they are jobless for months before the inis tell them they finally look at the citizenship application? some people saying that the foreigners came here and stayed for 5 years and asking for citizenship. did you see one of the post in this forum recently about the irish opinion of the immigrants?

look, i think most of the people here dont really have a problem if the inis tell them to get lost in the irish citizenship application. but i think most of the people in this forum cannot put up with the process time for the inis to tell people YES or NO in their application.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm

We don't want to question the long processing time. We just want to know why certain applications are being processed in a much shorter time than stated on the INIS website. There's a big difference between 1 and 3.5 years when one is waiting..

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 pm

To mktsoi and all,

I am not looking for an arguement, just supplying a bit of info when I can.

The quote is not my opinion, it is from "the minister", therefore you are not agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I do agree with you, however, that there is a lot of unfairness in the whole system.

What is strange is that, apparently, there are basically four categories for naturalisation, on which they allegedly prioritise applications:
Minor (because they are less complicated)
Refugee (because of some sort of UN obligation)
Married to an irish citizen (just to be nice?)
Everyone else

Now, if there was some consistency within each of these, that would be ok, but apparently (from the posts on this forum) there isn't, which means that their claim about applications being "processed in chronological order" is not particularly truthful.

injasuti
Newly Registered

"Application for a certificate of naturalisation approv

Post by injasuti » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Applied in July 2005. Next available civil court sitting is the 19th of Nov when I am required to "declare my fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the state" - and pay my €950. What a relief! After eight years in limbo I can at last make new plans and boldly go forward!