ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa from abroad interview

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jinijol
Newly Registered

Fiancé visa application submission centre abroad

Post by jinijol » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 am

I hardly know where to begin, we have so many questions, not to leave any stone unturned. First of all I am very grateful of any answers we get, and no we're not depending entirely on others on this forum to do all the work.

We're researching ourselves (no solicitor) where we can but if someone could help me clarify some areas of doubt then hopefully eventually we can push off by ourselves, for the most part. I intend to ask this board for help with other queries along the way also and I may go into more detail of my relationship circumstances in another post but for this one I'll keep them brief to fall in line with the intended question only.

I'll also start with a hopefully straight forward one- in order to ease into others which I'll post on another thread- as initially I feel afraid of bearing information connected to my relationship online but also of finding out information that's challenging but at the same time I know it's necessary to be informed to the nth degree to succeed.

Me and my partner are very close to starting a Fiancé Visa application and so intend for her to come the UK as soon as possible. But whilst not completely at the start of our journey and not in a new relationship, I am quite new to immigration (ergo: be gentle to any naivetes I hold)

As my Fiancé's sponser, I'm aware that I can make her application for her online and that she can go into to the visa application centre locally (abroad) to submit hard copies that are required such as her passport - correct?

And we need to know if she can go into a visa application centre in a country other than her native one? As she currently is living abroad on a residence permit visa.

It seems to indicate that this is possible here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... the-policy

'Applications for other types of entry clearance should be made in the country in which you are living.

Where there is no post in the country where you live, you should make the application to the appropriate application post
.'

Am I right about that?

Finally this will serve as my introduction to the forum, so 'hi!'

Thanks and Kind Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Fiancé visa application submission centre abroad

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 am

She can apply in any country where she holds legal residence and is not in the country as a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 am

Hi Jini,

Having been through the process of getting visas for my now wife to move to the UK, I can tell you that it can often be a hard and frustrating journey, so you are right to make sure before submitting the application, because extra time and effort making sure all your ducks are in line first, can save months of heartache and frustration later.

It's also a slow process, months can tick by and no one emails you to confirm your place in queue or update on progress. There is no one to call, so you just have to wait, in the dark until you get news.

Good luck.

THO.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 am
She can apply in any country where she holds legal residence and is not in the country as a visitor.
Thanks for your reply, ok.
THO wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:47 am
Hi Jini,

Having been through the process of getting visas for my now wife to move to the UK, I can tell you that it can often be a hard and frustrating journey, so you are right to make sure before submitting the application, because extra time and effort making sure all your ducks are in line first, can save months of heartache and frustration later.

It's also a slow process, months can tick by and no one emails you to confirm your place in queue or update on progress. There is no one to call, so you just have to wait, in the dark until you get news.

Good luck.

THO.
Hi THO,

I appreciate your words of advice. I thought that might be the case but especially now having read your caution I feel better informed already and with the advantage of this foresight hopefully shan't be as surprised.

I am bracing myself for the worst but it is encouraging to read of your experience and good to have the advantage of this warning so thank you kindly.

jini

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:11 am

No Problem Jini,

I would also advise before you send in the application that you tell the board more about your circumstance, and explain what you are submitting to see if there is anything that is missed, or reason you would not qualify as it is very expensive to make a mistake.

THO.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:43 pm

THO,

I will do that as I know how necessary it is. Thanks to your latest message, I've decided to do this sooner than intended and to start a thread next week to lay out all of the main points. As I said I will be anxious but better safe than sorry.

jini

jinijol
Newly Registered

General circumstances in my relationship for Fiancé visa application

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:39 am

I am making this post to outline the general circumstances surrounding a relationship I have been in for the past 2.5 years. I am a native of the UK and I met her in the UK. She originally arrived as a tourist and was oblivious to the immigration system at the time but came with the intention to stay in order to escape, amongst other things, serious problems at home in family life and society (could obviously give more detail) which she then claimed asylum regarding. The Home Office initially tried to invalidate the claim on the basis that because she had not claimed immediately upon arrival that it wasn't a valid claim. She refuted this stating that was unaware that she was required to formally do so. This reason was afforded and the claim allowed to continue. She then acquired a legal aid solicitor who submitted a basic level case which was denied on the basis of reasons such as that there was not substantial evidence to support some of her claims (which there was not she had nothing physical or digital), that there is no reason to suggest she couldn't simply have relocated in her own country away from the problems (wasn't viable for reasons x, y & z) and also due to a few other apparent logical inconsistencies. So her case was based on her word only.

I first met her after the original claim had been submitted and I don't recall if it was before or after we met but a denial was given. After this we tried and fumbled around to get another legal aid solicitor but were told that since the original solicitor had given less than 50 merits to the case that we were unable to recieve further legal aid support. We then tried to obtain a solicitor through a charity until we came to understand even this also wasn't going to happen either due to the demand and their preference to choose the easier to work cases. She went to the appeal in court unrepresented and I went with her and regretfully didn't think to introduce myself to the judge as her partner. She presented her case weakly and wasn't able to keep with the judge's scrutinies. We were highly unprepared as we had already wasted so much time on trying and failing to acquire a solicitor.

1/4

jinijol
Newly Registered

Re: General circumstances in my relationship for Fiancé visa application

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:40 am

After around 5 months of being together she unofficially moved in with me and soon came under breach of her living agreement in the supported accommodation and letters were sent asking her to return and explain the reason for her absence. After around 5-6 months of this she was asked to attend a meeting to discuss repeat absences. I drove her to the meeting location but at this point was in the midst of a breakdown and opted that she had had enough trying to keep up with it and stay sane and didn't attend. She was not asked to formally leave the country as far as we know at any point but decided to return to her home country anyway (briefly) feeling defeated with assistance from the Home Office (paid flight).She had been in the UK for 2 years total, with me for half of that time and living together for 8 months. I later found out that the appeal of course had been rejected.

After only around a month of returning to her home country, she took flight again and arrived at another new country (and one with much less stringent immigration rules) where after a short time obtained long stay documents. Since then we have been in touch daily, always video calling at least once per day. Since then I acquired an appointment with a charity based solicitor who for the first time since I had met my partner and entered into this labyrinth like world, gave some clarity by clearly outlining the processes to gain UK citizenship, in particular the 5 year route /VISA as a family member of a settled person > FTR (M) > FTR (M) > ILR. This was the first time we were afforded a light since the process for an asylum claim (and being from the country she is from [which is not considered a very compromised country] - can give country if it helps-) which at the. time seemed naigh on impossible to navigate with no real help or awareness of this alternative.

2/4

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 am

I have since visited her in the foreign (not my native nor her) country. And we are now on the cusp of beginning the first application for the so called 'Fiancé VISA'. I understand the basic requirements such as earnings which I meet. And we have her test booked for IELTS CEFR A1. From my research any ban on her return would have been set for 2 years (since she accepted assistance/a paid flight to leave UK) which has now passed.

Also given that my partner could be considered to have this 'adverse immigration history' is that likely to hamper our chances at success and by how much? Will the Home Office stop to consider the Asylum case as part of the Fiancée application after all this time? Will they look very far into the relationship or are we likely to succeed so long as we can convey the relationship in a good light? Is the whole thing a big gamble? Are the Home Office likely to use the fact that we didn't marry whilst she was here as a point of contention? Would it have been easier and quicker for us to have married at the time she was here 2 years ago? One of the reasons we didn't marry amongst others was that at that time we weren't confident of whether this was a viable solution for her to stay and how many years it would take given the Asylum case. Will this application take many additional months for the fact of the asylum history complication?

Or can we give ourselves a fighting chance with the right level of preparation and throughness in the application. I can offer more detail on request however preferring to keep the specifics out where possible.

3/4

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 am

Another thing is that she is from a contrasting cultural background than myself (British/no-religion) whilst she is Muslim. Is it better to say I am looking to convert...? There is also somewhat of an age difference. Could this be used as a area to deny the validity of the relationship? For the record the relationship is perfectly valid to me. I love her etc. I have also visited her in that country some 2000 miles away from the UK and had photos taken together but only one time in the 2 years since she left.

Sorry for the amount of questions and also if some of them sound unusual. If anyone is kind and brave enough to offer any thoughts of their own, encouragement or otherwise I am inviting all forms of council whether or not your observations ease or exacerbate my trepidation I am grateful of you reading and offering your observations and advice equally.

4/4

Thanks and Kind Regards,

jini

p s.

I may go back and edit the post multiple times over to add detail and or improve phrasing for accuracy.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:14 am

*In terms of the religion area, she is mainly a Muslim culturally and doesn't follow many of the customs but says she believes in God/Allah. So I would say we are still compatible on spite of this but I am worried about it in the eyes of the Home Office.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:42 am

Jini,

Your circumstances are far more complicated than mine (we met in Germany working, and she is from Vietnam) and neither of us has any record of breaching visa rules, but from what I understand, your fiance's previous issues should not stop your application from succeeding.

Your main concern is making sure that you prove to the HO that the relationship is real and subsisting, through pictures together, (make sure they have dates on them) and chat history over the years, anything you have like that. A covering letter explaining how and when you met etc.

But have you thought about getting married in the country she is in? Others more enlightened on the board may correct me, but it might well be easier to apply for a spouse visa, rather than a fiance visa and then have to convert it when she is here?

THO

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:41 pm

THO,

Thanks for your prompt, courteous reply.

I see, it's good to be able to compare notes even if there are key differences. I did have a look at your first posts from 2018 and your discussion with Ballmigirl17, whom I may get in touch with after reading a bit of her story.

It is a lot to stomach considering the scale of the task at hand and how the odds are also against the most straight forward applications which mine is not (but then again what in life is?) I noticed your initial disappointment due to no fault of your own and the same again with her so it is quite terrifying considering what can go wrong and the ramifications when everything is done right. I can't imagine what predicament we'll both be in if we begin the application and get refused for a so called valid reason. I don't know how easily I can afford a full time solicitor. But if you've done it and Ballmigirl has, in spite of those setbacks, who's to say I can't too? I've got a fight in me afterall.

Yes, I bet, although again something not easy to do. To prove something mysterious and sometimes contradictory that exists based on an etherality with hard evidence - which I do have of course. It's more the story behind it may be hard to communicate.

That is something I have considered but I'm glad you mentioned it as a solicitor told me that but that may be it could land me in an unusual space to be married under a foreign country's own laws. But now you bring it up, it certainly could have its benefits.

jini

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 am

Hi,

Just of course be very careful that the marriage you have is recognised here in the UK, if you decide to go to her country that is. Also another note of caution, and perhaps not a nice thing to talk about now, but if you should ever fall out of love (and I truly don't mean you will) for whatever reason, make sure that you can at least get a divorce easily.

If you get married in Philippines for instance, divorce is very hard (almost impossible) to get and it costs a lot of money, and you don't want to remain married forever if you are no longer together. Sorry, don't want to put a downer on it.

My wife and I considered getting married in VN as a good option, but there is a lot of mucking about to do to get the right documents, and so we thought (as it turned out very wrongly) that it would be easier for her to come here!

As for age gap, we have a fair age gap 22 years, but that was not an issue.

Yes, fight for what you want, which is to make a life together and one day all the pain of getting her visa will be behind you. Mind you, having said that it seems a bit of a lottery and depends on how the ECO feels that day. Some people get it first time, and provide less proof than I did.

Are you employed or self employed?

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 am

That's a point. It seems obvious now you mention it but it is often these very things at the forefront that we could miss the most easily so thanks for pointing that out. Now at least I have a line of enquiry. And no of course, I appreciate it's imperative to cover all bases.

I think this is what the solicitor was intimating however I perhaps hadn't realised the exact implications but that is interesting to hear about the Phillippines.

I see, well for me I am keeping an open mind if I can get a job abroad where she is, marry and live there for a short time and come back to UK then be able to apply for a Spouse Visa right away and I'm sure we'll have a better chance of proving the relationship is valid and getting the application accepted first time around. I wonder though if I marry her abroad and get a job there, if the HO will simply argue that we can live there for good but we prefer to live in the UK.

Brief research suggests we could marry abroad in that country, that it would be recognised as a valid marriage in the UK and the divorce process (God forbid) looks simple enough.

That is interesting then as between us it is much less but unusual in respect of the fact that she is the older one.

That's it, it's quite something to aspire to. And yes, exactly I know the system isn't fair but I feel if you pay your dues it's just a matter of time before it works out. Can imagine, I'll still sooner be the overprepared one.

Employed.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am

If you go to her country and marry there, and then in a couple of years later move back to the UK, I think the process will be much easier to get her visa. Again, I stand to be corrected, but living together for two years almost means they can't refuse?

I guess whether you take that route depends on whether you want to / can easily enough go live there, and the barriers to getting a job there. Like language for one, and health care etc. Where is she living if you don't mind the question?

HO cannot refuse a visa because you can live there, as long as you meet the financial and accommodation criteria defined in the terms for approval, and she has the correct language certificate. I believe you would need to have a job, or contract for a job starting no more than 3 months after you arrive in the UK.

The reason I asked about if you were employed or self employed, is because if you were self employed, you need to do a lot more to prove your income, rather than just showing 6 months payslip totalling £9.3K or more. =£18.6K per annum.

Time for you will now run so slowly, and it is not fun being apart, let me know how you get on and feel free to ask anything.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:44 am

THO wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:38 am
If you go to her country and marry there, and then in a couple of years later move back to the UK, I think the process will be much easier to get her visa. Again, I stand to be corrected, but living together for two years almost means they can't refuse?[
No it doesn't mean a visa can't be refused. There is no 2 year living together requirment for married couples. Also how long you have lived together as married has no bearing or influence on a spouse visa requirement, whether it is 2 months or 10 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 am

That's what I'm thinking also right now. As radical as that feels to me even just thinking about it as someone who's always lived in UK. I'll have to get shifting quickly and start to hustle hard to get settled over there in a fair timescale such as not longer than in the next year.

But at least if I do that I'm catapulted into her life and we will be together wherever we end up living. Although, again UK is much preferable for the both of us. But if we cast a metaphorical fishing line out into the open in trying to get the Fiance VISA approved, I might not hook anything whereas that route at least I'll end up with her and increase the chances of bringing her here successfully in the end.

Turkey...major city. Sorry to be coy; the reasons are twofold but I also just prefer to be this way in general. I am happy to answer any questions but I can always share more as the posts go on. Prefer to be vague where possible but I'm also glad of you/or others taking an interest in this.

I've already checked my payslips and I currently meet it. As I mention I feel I'll have to throw a crazy stunt to move all that distance, doubt I'll be able to keep my current job even if it is an online based job as I know already my employer won't facilitate me to move country and still employ me in it as they've never done it before to the best of my knowledge. I guess this is my current dilemma. Job abroad or not. If I can get something at least equal to what I do currently it can be mutually beneficial for my career also especially in the sector I work in, to be able to cite foreign/international experience.

Luckily getting a long stay VISA for any foreigner to stay in Turkey is very straight forward and cheap. So I would imagine a work permit VISA is not too difficult to acquire either. I wonder whether I could even work for a UK based company on foreign soil for the sake of the work permit VISA requirements and for tax...again another area to research and perhaps if I use the right approach and it's all good and legal whether my employer would consider allowing it - I still very much doubt it somehow.
THO wrote:
HO cannot refuse a visa because you can live there, as long as you meet the financial and accommodation criteria defined in the terms for approval, and she has the correct language certificate. I believe you would need to have a job, or contract for a job starting no more than 3 months after you arrive in the UK.
Right, I just thought they're always looking to refuse every application by any even loosely strung together conveiable argument. But I guess I can simply explain the reasons I moved if I do. And ok, looks like I could be doing quite some job shifting backwards and forward if this goes ahead.
CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:44 am
THO wrote:
If you go to her country and marry there, and then in a couple of years later move back to the UK, I think the process will be much easier to get her visa. Again, I stand to be corrected, but living together for two years almost means they can't refuse?[
No it doesn't mean a visa can't be refused. There is no 2 year living together requirment for married couples. Also how long you have lived together as married has no bearing or influence on a spouse visa requirement, whether it is 2 months or 10 years.
Right, good to know CR001, thanks. Makes sense, but we haven't lived together for that long anyhow if we are still to go down the Fiance route. I was hoping this was not an absolute requirement and open to interpretation of the circumstances and I'm sure I read (mostly between the lines) that it was on the proper HO documentation or at least elsewhere online.
THO wrote:
The reason I asked about if you were employed or self employed, is because if you were self employed, you need to do a lot more to prove your income, rather than just showing 6 months payslip totalling £9.3K or more. =£18.6K per annum.
Ah, no thankfully not which should save me some headache at least.
THO wrote:
Time for you will now run so slowly, and it is not fun being apart, let me know how you get on and feel free to ask anything.
Yep, I can imagine although it may well be quick whilst we're still working out the best path. There is a strong sense of urgency also as I fear to lose her if I don't do what's required swiftly enough. But I have been getting my bearings a lot more as I go along and have come along way since we first met.

Thanks for the offer and again for all your replies so far.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:51 am

Right, good to know CR001, thanks. Makes sense, but we haven't lived together for that long anyhow if we are still to go down the Fiance route. I was hoping this was not an absolute requirement and open to interpretation of the circumstances and I'm sure I read (mostly between the lines) that it was on the proper HO documentation or at least elsewhere online.
The requirements are quite simple. You must have met in person and be in a subsisting relationship with evidence such as communication screenshots, holidays together etc and for a fiance visa, proof of intent to marry such as ring receipts, email evidence or booking evidence of registry enquiries or reception venue enquiries etc, meeting the financial requirements and English requirments as well as adequate accommodation.

The requirement for living together in a relationship akin to marriage is ONLY a mandatory requirement for the 2.5 year Unmarried Partner Visa.

It is not a requirement for a fiance visa or a spouse visa (many apply having had an arranged marriages for example).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 am

After putting my thoughts down about moving to Turkey for this and speaking to my partner it seems like her coming here on the Fiance visa is still the best option. But thanks THO for helping me explore this other avenue that's available and still feasible.
CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:51 am
The requirements are quite simple. You must have met in person and be in a subsisting relationship with evidence such as communication screenshots, holidays together etc and for a fiance visa, proof of intent to marry such as ring receipts, email evidence or booking evidence of registry enquiries or reception venue enquiries etc, meeting the financial requirements and English requirments as well as adequate accommodation.

The requirement for living together in a relationship akin to marriage is ONLY a mandatory requirement for the 2.5 year Unmarried Partner Visa.

It is not a requirement for a fiance visa or a spouse visa (many apply having had an arranged marriages for example).

Thanks CR001 for outlining these and in making this distinction between the separate but similar VISA categories - and for the point about arranged marriages.

To return again briefly to my original query:
jinijol wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 am
'As my Fiancé's sponser, I'm aware that I can make her application for her online and that she can go into to the visa application centre locally (abroad) to submit hard copies that are required such as her passport - correct?'

And we need to know if she can go into a visa application centre in a country other than her native one? As she currently is living abroad on a residence permit visa.
Now that you know the country, CR001, are you able to reinforce your below statement in relation to my circumstances in particular?
CR001 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 am
'She can apply in any country where she holds legal residence and is not in the country as a visitor.'
Although I believe this to be the case also I still have several doubters of this.

Is there any way to know more, is there any way I can check or can you otherwise convince me if you have more experience in order to reassure myself and my partner?

She currently holds the one-year-long 'Ikamet'/residence permit which on a Turkish (and as far I can tell -government-) website I found the following:

'Foreign nationals that come to our country based on a visa or under visa exemption for touristic purposes only may be given a residence permit up to one year provided they ask for it and meet the criteria.'

On the same subject another webiste reads:

'The acquisition of short term Residence Permit in Turkey is a prerequisite for those wishing to stay in Turkey, where most transactions in Turkey need a legal residency.

For example, to rent an apartment and convert the lease and the bills to your name you must have a residency.

And it is suitable for those who visit Turkey periodically and do not want to obtain a visa every time they enter the country; Short term Residence Permit allows them to come and leave Turkey without a visa during the period allowed in the permit.
'

My main concern is use of the word 'touristic' in the first quote. But even if it's officially deemed as for 'touristic' purposes then does that make it any less of a residence pemit, any less of 'the country where you live' to quote the wording from gov.uk again on this topic:
jinijol wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 am
'Applications for other types of entry clearance should be made in the country in which you are living.

Where there is no post in the country where you live, you should make the application to the appropriate application post
.'
And one other point i'm looking to have clarified, is well can anybody tell me whether or not I can do the bulk i.e. at least 95% of the application from UK online? My partner won't be able to do it and I am not going to take a risk on this basis that any document submission beyond her passport and one -to two more documents to be left down to be submitted by her as I am much more proficient in this area and would much prefer to do all or at least the large majority myself.

Thanks and Kind Regards.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Update: she has passed her English test.

We've since realised that the surest path to make this work is the one we need to choose.

I have also found answers to questions in above post.

But I now wish to ask, if I marry her first abroad- not go to live there but just travel for the marriage- then afterwards we can apply directly for her on the Married Partner route, is this likely to be a more or less credible application than applying for her to join me through the Unmarried Partner route?

Or could the Home Office see that as an attempt to try to go around the rules? There are other, practical reasons why we would choose to marry abroad other than to solely improve chances of success. So that her family member can be there for the marriage, so that we only have to make one application, until the FTR/2.5 year extension application and also because this route is cheaper.

Thanks.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm

jinijol wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:45 pm
Update: she has passed her English test.

We've since realised that the surest path to make this work is the one we need to choose.

I have also found answers to questions in above post.

But I now wish to ask, if I marry her first abroad- not go to live there but just travel for the marriage- then afterwards we can apply directly for her on the Married Partner route, is this likely to be a more or less credible application than applying for her to join me through the Unmarried Partner route?

Or could the Home Office see that as an attempt to try to go around the rules? There are other, practical reasons why we would choose to marry abroad other than to solely improve chances of success. So that her family member can be there for the marriage, so that we only have to make one application, until the FTR/2.5 year extension application and also because this route is cheaper.

Thanks.
Hypothetically, in case of an overseas marriage, what UKVI is always concerned in ensuring is that whether the marriage was performed legally especially where both of partners were really free to marry whilst ascertaining that how both partners kept maintaining their relationship especially while living apart, for which subsisting relationships evidences are attached. Therefore, rest is none of the business of UKVI to probe out as what led you to marry abroad unless the fractured immigration history tell-tale otherwise. Most often an application can be applied even soon after of the marriage provided all requirements can be met.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Post by jinijol » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:28 pm

seagul wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm

Hypothetically, in case of an overseas marriage, what UKVI is always concerned in ensuring is that whether the marriage was performed legally especially where both of partners were really free to marry whilst ascertaining that how both partners kept maintaining their relationship especially while living apart, for which subsisting relationships evidences are attached. Therefore, rest is none of the business of UKVI to probe out as what led you to marry abroad unless the fractured immigration history tell-tale otherwise. Most often an application can be applied even soon after of the marriage provided all requirements can be met.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
Hi there,

well this is all extremely good and useful to know and I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

Will update further as and when any more developments take place.

jinijol
Newly Registered

Spouse visa from abroad interview

Post by jinijol » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am

After submitting our Spouse visa application we have been emailed to attend an interview each.

Can anyone offer any hope or advice?

It says it could last up to 60 minutes. My mind is gravitating towards the idea of doing meticulous preparation. Of all likely questions and of preparing identical answers. Is this what it is? A comparison/ tick box exercise?

Does anyone at least know if the questions are tailored per application or generic from question sets? Are they just looking for stock answers or is it about showing some humanity? Because if it is I'm sure we'll both come across as unmistakably perturbed.

Although I already feel disadvantaged of the thought of the fact that the interview has been proposed in the first place is clearly not a good thing as I suppose it suggests that the HO isn't satisfied with one thing or another.

Our application and backstory is complicated, relationship unconventional - is this possibly what has prompted the interview request? The immigration history, relationship story or perhaps both?

My wife is petrified. Let alone at the thought of having to dig up her troubled past all over again in an interview setting. And then to have to face 'the-prove-you-love-your-partner-test', after all we've been through together. And the prospect of it getting declined after even our best efforts.

Is this something that can be won through sheer determination or does anyone think our chances are very limited?
Because this is my gut feeling and from reading online about a few other declines after interviews from others.

Ultimately I guess I am trying to ask and understand whether the interview is a drawn out way of declining or an actual a test of commitment, of character and integrity.

Are there any instances of immediate visa declines and therefore is this actually a sign of hope? Since they are conducting parallel interviews, will it be as simple as outlining any discrepancies in our stories and automatically assuming each one of us is a filthy liar if our stories don't perfectly match up? Some of the answers I would give to example questions I've seen are embarrassing in a way that openly revealing realities of the grittiness of life is. And then there's the fact that I can't even guarantee that my version of events will agree with hers exactly anyway - is there much discretion to that?

And so in those cases is it best to reveal certain bleaknesses of my world in all the unlikely (as in unbelievable) but true facts about this unlikely but true situation we find oursevles in? Or better to just answer all questions as dilligently and humbly as possible? Or to strike a balance between the extremities of exploding with a torrent of complaints about the injustice of the interview process verses utterly biting the tongue risking appearing complacent and detached or finding a happy medium between the two?

60 minutes to explain two life stories in the context of rigid questions.

Is it just a case of grinning through bared teeth? A mere test of mettle? Someone please set us straight and send us in some kind of healthy direction.

Thanks kindly for reading.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Spouse visa from abroad interview

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:53 am

jinijol wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am
After submitting our Spouse visa application we have been emailed to attend an interview each.

Can anyone offer any hope or advice?

It says it could last up to 60 minutes. My mind is gravitating towards the idea of doing meticulous preparation. Of all likely questions and of preparing identical answers. Is this what it is? A comparison/ tick box exercise?

Does anyone at least know if the questions are tailored per application or generic from question sets? Are they just looking for stock answers or is it about showing some humanity? Because if it is I'm sure we'll both come across as unmistakably perturbed.

Although I already feel disadvantaged of the thought of the fact that the interview has been proposed in the first place is clearly not a good thing as I suppose it suggests that the HO isn't satisfied with one thing or another.

Our application and backstory is complicated, relationship unconventional - is this possibly what has prompted the interview request? The immigration history, relationship story or perhaps both?

My wife is petrified. Let alone at the thought of having to dig up her troubled past all over again in an interview setting. And then to have to face 'the-prove-you-love-your-partner-test', after all we've been through together. And the prospect of it getting declined after even our best efforts.

Is this something that can be won through sheer determination or does anyone think our chances are very limited?
Because this is my gut feeling and from reading online about a few other declines after interviews from others.

Ultimately I guess I am trying to ask and understand whether the interview is a drawn out way of declining or an actual a test of commitment, of character and integrity. Burden of proof of genuine relationship and commitment, give it your best shot and may all align for you.

Are there any instances of immediate visa declines and therefore is this actually a sign of hope? Since they are conducting parallel interviews, will it be as simple as outlining any discrepancies in our stories and automatically assuming each one of us is a filthy liar if our stories don't perfectly match up? Some of the answers I would give to example questions I've seen are embarrassing in a way that openly revealing realities of the grittiness of life is. And then there's the fact that I can't even guarantee that my version of events will agree with hers exactly anyway - is there much discretion to that?

And so in those cases is it best to reveal certain bleaknesses of my world in all the unlikely (as in unbelievable) but true facts about this unlikely but true situation we find oursevles in? Or better to just answer all questions as dilligently and humbly as possible? Or to strike a balance between the extremities of exploding with a torrent of complaints about the injustice of the interview process verses utterly biting the tongue risking appearing complacent and detached or finding a happy medium between the two?

60 minutes to explain two life stories in the context of rigid questions.

Is it just a case of grinning through bared teeth? A mere test of mettle? Someone please set us straight and send us in some kind of healthy direction.

Thanks kindly for reading.
A balance between target and random selection is what I can not find as I have seen people with complicated history both of immigration and relationships that were not invited for interview while on the other hand those who appear straightforward were selected for interview.
Though stated MAY last up to 1hour I have heard of lasting not more than 25minutes so a mixed bag.

Questions relates to being in a genuine relationship and knowing who you are or getting in to be with as a partner( within the HO parameters). Better to approach as another hurdle to scale towards being with whom you love. Factual responses and genuineness as to what you know about each other and plans for future together. People says things a bit differently and of flat out give wrong/uncorroborated response to some questions and still got the visa.

The interviewer has got a job to do, you have got a partner to be with, do your best. MO.