ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry Clearance--need to enter UK in 6 months, fact or myth?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

giblet
United States of America

Entry Clearance--need to enter UK in 6 months, fact or myth?

Post by giblet » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:23 pm

I was granted a HSMP 10/06, and have entry clearance valid 06/07-06/09. However, I never moved there.

I'm now thinking of moving to the UK. I will transfer with my current company so will already have a job, etc. However, I can't figure out if my HSMP/EC are still valid.

I keep reading that for the EC to be valid, one must enter the UK within 6 months of receiving the EC. Is this really true? Can someone point me to a document that says this?

Or, is it just that one needs to have been in the country for a certain amount of time to get FLR/ILR?

I doubt I will want to apply for permanent residency or citizenship, so that's not an issue. However, my company is telling me that I needed to have entered the UK within 6 months of getting my EC to keep it valid, and so now I will need a new work permit.

Would appreciate any guidance. I know I must be stupid, but I can't seem to find any conclusive answers anywhere.

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 am

Any ideas? Is this the sort of thing I can give the Home Office a call about or do I need to consult with an attorney?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

giblet
United States of America

Post by giblet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks--from everything I can see, it looks like there isn't a 6 month rule.

Any idea why my company would think that it would need to be exercised in the first 6 months? This seems to be a common misconception, but I can't figure out where it comes from.

pyke

Post by pyke » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm

giblet wrote: Any idea why my company would think that it would need to be exercised in the first 6 months? This seems to be a common misconception, but I can't figure out where it comes from.
Perhaps confusion with the work permit system?