ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by cordatum » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 pm

An update!

Applied online: 24th April 2019
Documents received at Balbriggan: 24th May 2019
Email confirming address: 17th September 2020
Added to FBR: still waiting

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:35 pm

So I received my FBR certificate today and immediately sent it back to Ireland for the passport application. Really wanted to get it done before another potential lockdown. I only had the certificate in my possession for about four hours. Let’s hope it doesn’t get delayed. Here’s my timeline.

Application submitted online: 26 June 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 02 July 2019
Confirmation of address email: 03 September 2020 (Expedited due to pregnancy)
Date added to FBR: 03 September 2020
Congrats email: 14 September 2020
FBR certificate received: 18 September 2020
Passport application submitted/posted: 18 September 2020

Nice to see them printing and posting certificates quickly now.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting for news.

LA8887

Post by LA8887 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Has anyone had a passport application sent off and come back since they started processing FBR certificates again, and has some experience of turnaround times? I did my passport online application the day I got the address confirmation email and had the identification form witnessed and ready to go so put the certificate straight back in the post when it arrived and was told the estimated printing date would be the 8th September. Depending on which bit you read on the turnaround times website it says it'll take 20 working days, 6-8 weeks, or 365 days.

thecastle2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by thecastle2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:02 pm

I'm so happy! Process completed for me, received my proof of citizenship certificate and documentation last night! Now hoping to be able to visit my new country sometime in the near future. We had bought plane tickets to come in November back in February. But given the travel restrictions and out limited vacation time I don't think it will be possible to go this year.

It has taken me approximately 2 years to complete the process starting in roughly October of 2018 by starting to gather the various documents it would take to complete an application. It took many months to get all of the required birth/death and marriage certificates. Now on to getting a passport.

Application submitted online: 30 April 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 8 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 26 August 2020
Congrats email: 1 September 2020
FBR certificate received: 19 September 2020

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:14 pm

Congrats to cordatum & thecastle2 ---keep the confirmations rolling in !

jgclancy

alexconnorbrown
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by alexconnorbrown » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Hello, I'm pretty new to this, just had a few questions if anyone can answer.

I'm going to try to apply to the foreign birth registration through my grandparent (who was born on the Isle of Ireland).

When they say "original" documents for birth/death/marriage certificates of the grandparent, what is constitutes as "original"? I've ordered all of these documents through the General Register Office for Northern Ireland (where they were born) and the UK GRO (where they were married and died). Will these documents be accepted?

I was also making sure that when they say "Irish citizen parent" (my mother, who connects me to my grandfather), they simply mean the child of an Irish-born citizen. My mother was born in the UK.

Thank you in advance.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 pm

Submitted app in Late May 2019 from UK, through Grandparents details.
Confirmation of application and supporting docs received 4 June 2019

It feels close now, based on the May submission success of late.

Fingers crossed the NEW Dublin lockdown does not push it out again?

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 am

alexconnorbrown wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm

I'm going to try to apply to the foreign birth registration through my grandparent (who was born on the Isle of Ireland).

When they say "original" documents for birth/death/marriage certificates of the grandparent, what is constitutes as "original"? I've ordered all of these documents through the General Register Office for Northern Ireland (where they were born) and the UK GRO (where they were married and died). Will these documents be accepted?

I was also making sure that when they say "Irish citizen parent" (my mother, who connects me to my grandfather), they simply mean the child of an Irish-born citizen. My mother was born in the UK.

Thank you in advance.
Yes - GRO certificates are considered original. It doesn’t have to he the document issued at the time of the event.

And yes - your mum is automatically Irish, being born to someone who was born on the island of Ireland. So your mum is your Irish citizen parent. For instance, your mum could get her passport without doing FBR because she is already Irish.

alexconnorbrown
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by alexconnorbrown » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:32 am

Rbs3 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 am
alexconnorbrown wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Thank you in advance.
Yes - GRO certificates are considered original. It doesn’t have to he the document issued at the time of the event.

And yes - your mum is automatically Irish, being born to someone who was born on the island of Ireland. So your mum is your Irish citizen parent. For instance, your mum could get her passport without doing FBR because she is already Irish.
Thank you!

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been following and participating with this thread/group for some time and I finally have some good news, so I thought I would share my current status/timeline.

After 484 days, Or 1 year, 3 months, 26 days, Or after 15 months, 26 days I am excited to provide an update!!!

Timeline

FBR Application submitted on- line - May 19, 2019

FBR Application and Documents mailed from USA/NJ to Balbriggan, Ireland via USPS International Express May 20, 2019
Application received in Balbriggan email received - May 27,2019
Confirmation of Mailing address email received from FBR - September 21, 2020 at 3:10 am

Responded back to FBR Mailing Address email - September 21, 2020 at 3:43 am
Date added onto Foreign Birth Register - September 21, 2020
Congratulations FBR Approval email received - Sept 21,2020 at 7:36 am

FBR Certificate Printed/ Mailed email received - Pending
FBR Certificate received in USA/NJ - Pending

NEXT PHASE-INITIAL PAPER APPLICATION FOR PASSPORT
Applied for Passport via Paper (Initial) Application mailed all documents to Consulate General of Ireland in NYC/Park Ave - Pending
Passport form and docs sent from Consulate to Ireland - Pending
Passport and documents received in USA/NJ -Pending

Yes, Brexit and COVID-19 greatly affected the original 6 month processing time we were notified of during the application process and further a record of over 29,000 FBR applications were received in 2019. All of these challenges allowed FBR to streamline Operations, implement new systems and hire/train additional staff to support this process.

I am thankful for this group/thread as it allowed each and everyone one of us to communicate, question, learn and assist each other about the process as well as the availability to monitor the progress of FBR processing by sharing each of our experiences/application milestones and dates. I feel blessed and very thankful to all, We are the World and soon we will all be Irish Citizens too! I can't believe that I am now an Irish citizen, it will be realistic when that FBR certificate is in my hands.

Thank you all!

IrishNJUSAMan 🇺🇸🇺🇸☘️☘️🇨🇮🇨🇮

BTW, I had a web chat with the FBR at 6:00 am this morning after I received/responded to the mailing address verification email, the representative mentioned to me that there is a 2 week backlog in the printing/mailing of the FBR Certificates and associated Original documents. Further, I was advised that the FBR Certificate and all Original documents will be returned in one package.

serenitybyjan2
Newly Registered

Post by serenitybyjan2 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 pm

IrishNJUSAMan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been following and participating with this thread/group for some time and I finally have some good news, so I thought I would share my current status/timeline.

After 484 days, Or 1 year, 3 months, 26 days, Or after 15 months, 26 days I am excited to provide an update!!!

Timeline

FBR Application and Documents mailed from USA/NJ to Balbriggan, Ireland via USPS International Express May 20, 2019
Confirmation of Mailing address email received from FBR - September 21, 2020 at 3:10 am

Applied for Passport via Paper (Initial) Application mailed all documents to Consulate General of Ireland in NYC/Park Ave - Pending

Yes, Brexit and COVID-19 greatly affected the original 6 month processing time we were notified of during the application process and further a record of over 29,000 FBR applications were received in 2019. All of these challenges allowed FBR to streamline Operations, implement new systems and hire/train additional staff to support this process.

I am thankful for this group/thread as it allowed each and everyone one of us to communicate, question, learn and assist each other about the process as well as the availability to monitor the progress of FBR processing by sharing each of our experiences/application milestones and dates. I feel blessed and very thankful to all, We are the World and soon we will all be Irish Citizens too! I can't believe that I am now an Irish citizen, it will be realistic when that FBR certificate is in my hands.

Thank you all!

BTW, I had a web chat with the FBR at 6:00 am this morning after I received/responded to the mailing address verification email, the representative mentioned to me that there is a 2 week backlog in the printing/mailing of the FBR Certificates and associated Original documents. Further, I was advised that the FBR Certificate and all Original documents will be returned in one package.
My documents were received on the same date! Fingers crossed it’s only a matter of days for me now! Keep refreshing my email hoping for good news :lol:

sponserv
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sponserv » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:39 pm

I know I am very late to the game and I am probably looking at 12-18 months but I finally got all my documents together and filed for FBR recognition last night. This board and thread have been extremely helpful and I want to say thank you to everyone who has participated here.

Now I just get on with my life and wait. Maybe I will get my certification as a 2021 Christmas present. LOL

Application submitted online: 21st September 2020
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: Pending
Confirmation of address email: Pending
Congrats email: Pending
Date added to FBR: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending

Murdoch
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Murdoch » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 am

Long time reader, first post. Thanks to all who continue to contribute useful information here it has helped me out vastly.

Application submitted online: June 12/2018
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: May 22/2019 (took time gethering docs)
Confirmation of address email: Sept 14/2020
Congrats email: Sept 22/2020
Date added to FBR: Sept 22/2020
FBR certificate received: Pending (docs on way)

For those wondering, a paper passport application is sent back with original documents. Cheers! M

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:16 pm

LA8887 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:15 pm
Has anyone had a passport application sent off and come back since they started processing FBR certificates again, and has some experience of turnaround times? I did my passport online application the day I got the address confirmation email and had the identification form witnessed and ready to go so put the certificate straight back in the post when it arrived and was told the estimated printing date would be the 8th September. Depending on which bit you read on the turnaround times website it says it'll take 20 working days, 6-8 weeks, or 365 days.
I did the same as you for my daughter, got her FBR certificate and it was sent back to Ireland for her passport application two days later (would have been the same day but we had to wait for our neighbour - who's a teacher - to be available to witness the documents) and I've been wondering exactly the same thing.

I read it as the 365 days being for those who have to have appointments in person (as it's under that heading at the bottom) and regular online applications being 20 working days.

My documents were received two days ago according to the Royal Mail and An Post trackers. I'm just waiting for the passport application tracker to say they've been received!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Pipefish wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:16 pm
LA8887 wrote:
I did the same as you for my daughter, got her FBR certificate and it was sent back to Ireland for her passport application two days later (would have been the same day but we had to wait for our neighbour - who's a teacher - to be available to witness the documents) and I've been wondering exactly the same thing.

I read it as the 365 days being for those who have to have appointments in person (as it's under that heading at the bottom) and regular online applications being 20 working days.

My documents were received two days ago according to the Royal Mail and An Post trackers. I'm just waiting for the passport application tracker to say they've been received!
My passport tracker noted that they received my documents yesterday (I sent them on Friday). They estimate my passport will be issued on 20/10/20. Hope that's useful.

Pipefish
Newly Registered

Post by Pipefish » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:39 pm
Pipefish wrote:
LA8887 wrote:

My passport tracker noted that they received my documents yesterday (I sent them on Friday). They estimate my passport will be issued on 20/10/20. Hope that's useful.
Quick update: Mine has just changed to show an estimated issue date of 21/10/20.

ripforreallldo
United States of America

Post by ripforreallldo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 pm

hi y’all! i got in touch with the fbr webchat bc i’m antsy. i only sent my stuff in this past spring (may 26) so i just wanted to see where that puts me in my 12-18 month wait since the office was closed all summer. they said they opened my documents the following day! so for anyone who’s wondering, your 12-18 months starts from the day after it has been delivered to Balbriggan. thanks to everyone for the helpful info and congrats to the people receiving good news!

LA8887

Post by LA8887 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am

Pipefish wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Pipefish wrote:
LA8887 wrote:

Quick update: Mine has just changed to show an estimated issue date of 21/10/20.
My estimated issue date was 8th September which I guess is 20 working days after it was received. I think I'm currently at 6½ weeks so hopefully it'll be printed in the next two weeks but I have no idea. I think I saw someone else say theirs took 3 months but I'm not if sure that involved any time the office was closed

serenitybyjan2
Newly Registered

Post by serenitybyjan2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 am

My address confirmation came through! Updates on application:

Confirmation of documents: 27 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: 24 September 2020
Congrats email: pending
Receipt certificate: pending

Nearly 16 months later!

IrishNJUSAMan
United States of America

Post by IrishNJUSAMan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:58 am

IrishNJUSAMan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

Timeline

Thank you all!

UPDATE from FBR on September 24,2020

FBR Certificate Printed/ Mailed email received - September 24, 2020

Now I just await receipt of my FBR Certificate and documents!!

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by cordatum » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Finally!!!! I have been added to the FBR! Kiss me, I'm Irish :wink:

Applied online: 24th April 2019
Documents received at Balbriggan: 24th May 2019
Email confirming address: 17th September 2020
Added to FBR: date unclear
Congratulations email received + "certificate has been printed": 24th September 2020

merseygrit
Newly Registered

Post by merseygrit » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 pm

Applied online: 27th May 2019
Documents received: 4th June 2019
Still waiting after about 16 months (24th September 2020)
My grandparent, who I'm claiming nationality through, didn't have their birth registered (1880's) - so it will be more complex.
Had a web chat today and was told it was with a checking officer, with no indication of how much longer it would be - they will contact me if needed.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:57 pm

LA8887 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:08 am
Pipefish wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:41 pm
jamiepompey wrote:
Pipefish wrote:

My estimated issue date was 8th September which I guess is 20 working days after it was received. I think I'm currently at 6½ weeks so hopefully it'll be printed in the next two weeks but I have no idea. I think I saw someone else say theirs took 3 months but I'm not if sure that involved any time the office was closed
Were you an online or paper applicant? Hopefully you get it soon!

serenitybyjan2
Newly Registered

Post by serenitybyjan2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm

merseygrit wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 pm
My grandparent, who I'm claiming nationality through, didn't have their birth registered (1880's) - so it will be more complex.
Had a web chat today and was told it was with a checking officer, with no indication of how much longer it would be - they will contact me if needed.
My documents were received a week or so before you and I’ve just got the email through now - hopefully for you within the next couple of weeks you’ll hear!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:07 pm

merseygrit wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 pm
I was in the same boat as you - Grandparent's birth not registered. I did some research and spoke to various Govt departments and I had to do the following:

1. I paid for the Irish Government Records Office to search for my Grandfather's birth registry entry. They couldn't find anything. I already knew it wasn't there as we've already searched extensively, but it was necessary to get GRO to search as they then produced an official certificate saying they've searched on all the available details and no entry was found. This is required later...

2. I got a new baptism certificate from the current priest of the parish where my grandfather was born (in 1885.) To do this, I found a copy of the parish baptism register entry on the National Library of Ireland's online archives. I phoned the current parish priest to explain the situation and sent him the register entry along with info on how he could access it for himself. He then produced a new baptism certificate for me.

3. I applied for a 'late registration of birth' at the GRO. You need to provide them with that certificate that no registry entry could be found and the baptism certificate.

4. Once GRO had registered his birth, I was able to apply for a copy of the birth certificate and apply for FBR as normal. I believe in the past, if no birth certificate was available, it was possible to apply for FBR directly with evidence of a grandparent's birth. Now you have to get their birth registered before you apply.