ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Learning18

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by Learning18 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:28 pm

I put a comment myself as well on the article.

Learning20
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Learning20 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Stef03 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:48 pm
AsPa wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm
Stef03 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:04 pm
rayyfar wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:44 am
i agree i have also Commented
There are 5 comments only on the news article https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 14515.html
Since the independent has started demanding answers from HO regarding our citizenship ceremonies delays, please go all of you and leave a comment there, and maybe they will pick up the large number of complaints and will increase the pressure on HO to deal with our cases
i totally agree i have just put a comment on myself.

if we can get more people to comment on this article maybe the independent would be able to help expedite the process.
Hi AsPa

Just checked the news feed, more and more are commenting. Fingers crossed, maybe it will gain a momentum and the media will start applying some pressure on HO to deal more efficiently with our cases
We need more people to write on the comment section!

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Learning20 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm
Stef03 wrote:
AsPa wrote:
Stef03 wrote:

There are 5 comments only on the news article https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 14515.html
Since the independent has started demanding answers from HO regarding our citizenship ceremonies delays, please go all of you and leave a comment there, and maybe they will pick up the large number of complaints and will increase the pressure on HO to deal with our cases

if we can get more people to comment on this article maybe the independent would be able to help expedite the process.
Hi AsPa

Just checked the news feed, more and more are commenting. Fingers crossed, maybe it will gain a momentum and the media will start applying some pressure on HO to deal more efficiently with our cases
Hello my fellow friends👋

Just commented on the article as said we need more people.

Raihanul
Mood:

Post by Raihanul » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:18 pm

Lol I paid for biometric for my application They used the virus as an excuse to charge an additional £70. But now, we have the newer applicants getting their certificates within weeks. I'm glad they are getting the service they paid for but so should we. Really upset with Home Office. My council been open for ages and still waiting for that simple invitation.

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:20 pm
anyone from Liverpool council? Just joined the queue, so I know it is too early for me to expect anything but wanted to get an idea of how Liverpool council is conducting the ceremonies, which date backlog they are currently clearing, are they receiving certificates, etc?

thanks
I'm from Liverpool council too, last time I checked they said they're still dealing with April backlog and that was about two weeks ago. I got the approval early August.

Soo123
Pakistan

Post by Soo123 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi U Aziz

Any luck with Hillingdon council
I spoke to them but but they don’t have my certificate and last week they didn’t get any 😔

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:08 am

20200923_090610.jpg
Reply from mcr Council today
20200923_090610.jpg (339.33 KiB) Viewed 2259 times

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am

LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm
tier21419 wrote:
anyone from Liverpool council? Just joined the queue, so I know it is too early for me to expect anything but wanted to get an idea of how Liverpool council is conducting the ceremonies, which date backlog they are currently clearing, are they receiving certificates, etc?

thanks
I'm from Liverpool council too, last time I checked they said they're still dealing with April backlog and that was about two weeks ago. I got the approval early August.
Thanks for the update. I called them this morning and it seems that the lady on phone did not know much. She said the citizenship team are in on Fridays. She said that they are receiving certificates but not sure which months and how frequent. Please do post here in case you have some news. thanks :)

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am

Does anyone know which councils in London are doing virtual ceremonies at the moment?

I am registered with Hackney but they are adamant that they will not be offering virtual ceremonies, which I think is quite disgusting in light of a second wave of COVID. I want to change to a more forward thinking council. Wrote to the MP and no response.

I got my approval letter in June. Still waiting for the ceremony letter to arrive.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 am

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am
Does anyone know which councils in London are doing virtual ceremonies at the moment?

I am registered with Hackney but they are adamant that they will not be offering virtual ceremonies, which I think is quite disgusting in light of a second wave of COVID. I want to change to a more forward thinking council. Wrote to the MP and no response.

I got my approval letter in June. Still waiting for the ceremony letter to arrive.
Given recent times, moving to a new council could be a nightmare.. it could take much longer..
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Emeliajayne88
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emeliajayne88 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:50 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 am
Emeliajayne88 wrote:

Given recent times, moving to a new council could be a nightmare.. it could take much longer..

I understand your point but actually I think it will take longer to do an in person ceremony via Hackney council at this stage.

qulain1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by qulain1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:27 am

Learning20 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm
Stef03 wrote:
AsPa wrote:
Stef03 wrote:

Hi AsPa

Hi All,

I agree that we need to escalate the topic at the wider forum. Therefore I sent below email to our MP today:

Dear <insert your MP name>,

I, <insert your name>, am a resident of the <insert your council> Council. As a member of your constituency, I am writing to bring to your attention matters pertaining to the citizenship process, elaborated in detail in this article: (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp):

1. Due to the pandemic, the citizenship application process has been understandably delayed as biometrics could not be submitted and the government offices were closed. Despite this, I appreciate the efforts to expedite the process using digital solutions. However, the digitization of only part of the process means that delays still persist. Namely, the process of posting invitation letters and naturalization certificates instead of simply emailing them, I suggest this process be digitized too. Delays in processing can have major implications on those that need to travel for business or family emergencies.

2. Some councils have initiated virtual citizenship ceremonies, <insert your council> Council is yet to do so. I live with my father who is at high risk due to his age and pre-existing conditions. I do not wish to expose myself and risk my father's health unless I absolutely need to. I request you to please implement virtual ceremonies in our council and push for the complete digitization of the process to avoid further delays. <amend as per your situation>

I urge you to please investigate the delays in the naturalization process and assist members of your constituency in expediting an already anxiety inducing, lengthy and expensive process. As set out in the article, delays in processing can seriously impact the daily life and livelihood of your constituents.

I am certain that even a preliminary investigation into the process will lead you to concur that there is significant room for improvement. I trust that you will see the overarching benefit to your constituents and all others seeking to make the UK their home with your intervention in this matter.

Thank you.

Best regards,
<insert your name>

Address
<insert your address>

<insert your home office reference number>

Please raise the topic to your local MPs as immigration related issues fall in their area of responsibility. Hope this helps.

U Aziz
Pakistan

Post by U Aziz » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:42 am

Soo123 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm
Hi U Aziz

Any luck with Hillingdon council
I spoke to them but but they don’t have my certificate and last week they didn’t get any 😔
Hi Soo123,
Same here! Called them yesterday and they don’t have mine either.
Thanks

LiverpoolYNWA
Newly Registered

Post by LiverpoolYNWA » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:14 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am
LiverpoolYNWA wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm
tier21419 wrote:

thanks
Thanks for the update. I called them this morning and it seems that the lady on phone did not know much. She said the citizenship team are in on Fridays. She said that they are receiving certificates but not sure which months and how frequent. Please do post here in case you have some news. thanks :)
Keep us updated too if you hear anything. I've spoken to them a few times and they don't have a clue what's going on. Thank you

uklondonn
Spain

Post by uklondonn » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi, does anyone know if councils commonly sends a letter with the citizenship invitation? or Home Office? Or everything is electronic (emails, etc) ?

I might move soon, and I'm wondering if it's worthy the hassle to let know Home Office about that and/or the council too...Because if all communications are done electronically, then I guess I don't need to communicate the home move.

My council is Tower Hamlets.

Thanks!

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:27 pm

uklondonn wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Hi, does anyone know if councils commonly sends a letter with the citizenship invitation? or Home Office? Or everything is electronic (emails, etc) ?

I might move soon, and I'm wondering if it's worthy the hassle to let know Home Office about that and/or the council too...Because if all communications are done electronically, then I guess I don't need to communicate the home move.

My council is Tower Hamlets.

Thanks!
You will be getting the invitation letter by post from the Home Office.

bppartnerclub
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by bppartnerclub » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:50 am
CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 am
Emeliajayne88 wrote:

I understand your point but actually I think it will take longer to do an in person ceremony via Hackney council at this stage.
I doubt that, I contacted the HO with a change of address a month ago and still have not heard back from them. I'm just waiting to see what will come first, response from HO, invitation letter or end of post redirection

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Birmingham told me they have received end of May certificates this week.

ummalido
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by ummalido » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:29 pm

The Council of Surrey has also received end of May certificates in this week’s batch. :D

fbaig76
Newly Registered

Post by fbaig76 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Brent received June Certificates this week

Learning18

Post by Learning18 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm

fbaig76 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Hi,

I spoke to them yesterday morning and they said they received a batch on Monday and mine wasn't in it. My approval was the 3rd of June, so I am a little surprised. Is that what they said to you on the phone?

fbaig76
Newly Registered

Post by fbaig76 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm
fbaig76 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Hi,

I spoke to them yesterday morning and they said they received a batch on Monday and mine wasn't in it. My approval was the 3rd of June, so I am a little surprised. Is that what they said to you on the phone?
I spoke to them today and they confirmed that they have received some of June this week

mdiqbal

Post by mdiqbal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone know any updates about Harringey council?

Ram_1900
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Ram_1900 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Hi everyone,
Any updates please from Leeds City Council? Have they cleared March and April approvals?

Bulgaria

Post by 024601 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Does anyone know about Southampton city council? I've emailed them 4 times and 4 times I got the exact same response "We haven't received any documentation yet but when we do, we'll get in touch."

I asked them if they have a backlog; how often are they getting certificates; what are the dates of the latest certificates and if they have received mine but every time I got that generic response. I contacted my MP and he said he will look into it but nothing has happened so far so I think this was pointless.