ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Old Passport on citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

will National Child Scheme subsidy impact citizenship application?

Post by manny24 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi All,

I hope to hear some of your advice.

I have been granted the creche fee subsidy for my child who attending full time creche (nursery) through National Child Scheme (NCS) under income assessment application.

This subsidy will reduce part of the creche fee I am paying.

I am wondering if this subsidy will impact my citizenship application. Will it look like claiming social benefit?

Thanks in advance

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: will National Child Scheme subsidy impact citizenship application?

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 am

There are 2 parts to the programme. The universal part for children younger than 3 years old is not means-tested, while the second part is for those up to 15 years old and it is means-tested.

So yes it will affect citizenship applications.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manny24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:30 am

Thank you @Littlerr for your response.

So based on this benefit, the citizenship application can be refused?

Or can they consider the fact I never applied any sort of social benefit for past years.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manny24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 am
There are 2 parts to the programme. The universal part for children younger than 3 years old is not means-tested, while the second part is for those up to 15 years old and it is means-tested.

If I decide to not use the subsidy code which I received, will it be still affect application?

Also the universal subsidy which is not means-tested, is it also impact the application?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:50 pm

You are not supposed to use any means-tested social benefit for at least 3 years before the citizenship application.
The only exception to this is the PUP for COVID19.

altalb
Albania

Post by altalb » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:49 pm

If you are talking about ECCE "grant" ( some discount about 200 euro from the creche after the child is pre school age eligible) I have been granted years before the citizenship application and I got approved without any issue.

Stanina
Ireland

Post by Stanina » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:05 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:50 pm
You are not supposed to use any means-tested social benefit for at least 3 years before the citizenship application.
Is there a law or some official info regarding it?
I though the same but then smbd told me that they were on jobseeker allowance and still received citizenship. Couldn't find any confirmation that you should not use social benefits prior to citizenship application.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Stanina wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:05 pm
littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:50 pm
Is there a law or some official info regarding it?
I though the same but then smbd told me that they were on jobseeker allowance and still received citizenship. Couldn't find any confirmation that you should not use social benefits prior to citizenship application.
There isn’t a hard and fast rule to prohibit anyone from applying for citizenship if they have received social benefits in the past 3 years. However, the sole reason they ask you to fill in Section 9 of Form 8 is to check whether you are considered as a good citizen.

It provides some flexibility when determining the eligibility of granting citizenship.

For example, if you are in genuine need of an unemployment payment for a few months because you lost your job, and you demonstrated that you have been trying to find a new job since you lost your last job, then it’s probably fine. If you just feel lazy, don’t want to work, and have never tried to find a new job, that would certainly cast a doubt.

Most solicitors will recommend that you do not use any social benefit for the 3 years prior to your application, just so that you don’t have to worry for the next whole year of whether you will be rejected or not.

Vasya
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by Vasya » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm

littlerr wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:35 am

Just to confirm. Do I understand correctly that the first part for children under 3 years old (this part is NOT means-tested) does NOT affect citizenship application?

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manny24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm

I have managed to cancel the subsidy award since I haven't used the code which I got.

I wonder if they (inis) will still seeing it as social benefit claim? Even though I haven't used the subsidy code and cancelled it.
It is quite difficult to understand the rules since they are not clear explained.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Vasya wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm
Just to confirm. Do I understand correctly that the first part for children under 3 years old (this part is NOT means-tested) does NOT affect citizenship application?
Correct. Non means-tested benefits do not affect citizenship applications (because they are available to all residents).
manny24 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm
I have managed to cancel the subsidy award since I haven't used the code which I got.

I wonder if they (inis) will still seeing it as social benefit claim? Even though I haven't used the subsidy code and cancelled it.
It is quite difficult to understand the rules since they are not clear explained.
It shouldn't. When you submit your application, you can ask DEASP to issue you a letter to prove that you have not been in receipt of any means-tested social benefit payment.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by manny24 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:42 pm

@littlerr thank you for your helpful responses, I am really appreciating it.

Also thanks for everyone who contributed on this topic.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Paternity Benefit on Citizenship application

Post by manny24 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of applying citizenship by naturalisation. My question is on 2018, I received paternity benefit, I have checked the welfare statement for the last 5 years and that is the only social welfare i have received.
I believe the paternity benefit is not the means-tested social welfares, how should I highlight it on the application form question 9.5?
Should I explain it with addition letter?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Paternity Benefit on Citizenship application

Post by littlerr » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm

If you are talking about the Maternity/Paternity Benefit based on PRSI, you do not need to put it on the form. Same for things like Illness Benefit, Treatment Benefit etc.

Just answer NO on Question 9.5. The question says ‘Social Assistance Payment’ / ‘State Support’, which are for means-rested payments.

You can of course still attach the DEASP letter and add a brief cover letter to explain that your only social welfare payment is the PRSI paternity benefit. Some staff in INIS are incredibly daft.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Paternity Benefit on Citizenship application

Post by manny24 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:25 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm
If you are talking about the Maternity/Paternity Benefit based on PRSI, you do not need to put it on the form. Same for things like Illness Benefit, Treatment Benefit etc.

Just answer NO on Question 9.5. The question says ‘Social Assistance Payment’ / ‘State Support’, which are for means-rested payments.

You can of course still attach the DEASP letter and add a brief cover letter to explain that your only social welfare payment is the PRSI paternity benefit. Some staff in INIS are incredibly daft.
Hi Littlerr, Thank you again. Yes it was the Maternity/Paternity Benefit based on PRSI, I think it will be a good idea to attach the DEASP statement with my application with cover letter to avoid some confusion.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Old Passport on citizenship application

Post by manny24 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am

Hi all,

Just a question on regarding on passports submission with citizenship application. Do I also need to submit the old passport which expired long way before I arrive in the state?
Or should I submit only passports valid during the residence in the state?
Quite confuse a little bit with this, any suggestion? Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Old Passport on citizenship application

Post by littlerr » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Read the instruction part of the Form 8 before you start your application. It has everything you need.

Page 2:
The original of your current passport and any previous passports valid during periods of residence in the State, together with a photocopy of the biometric page of each passport.
It will also tell you in a later section to enter the passport number you used to enter Ireland for the first time.

manny24
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Old Passport on citizenship application

Post by manny24 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:16 pm

littlerr wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:36 pm
Read the instruction part of the Form 8 before you start your application. It has everything you need.

Page 2:
The original of your current passport and any previous passports valid during periods of residence in the State, together with a photocopy of the biometric page of each passport.
It will also tell you in a later section to enter the passport number you used to enter Ireland for the first time.
I read that part of the instruction, probably I was over-thinking it. Anyway thank you for the response.