ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US visa as a British Citizen

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jay19
Newly Registered

US visa as a British Citizen

Post by Jay19 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:21 pm

I was a Indian National living in India in 2014 and my Student Visa was refused twice by the US Embassy in India.
Fast forward to 2017 I was living in The UK on a limited Remain and I wanted to attend my brothers wedding in The US and again my visa was refused at the US embassy in London.

So on 3 occasions my US visa has been refused as an Indian National.

Now I am a British Citizen holding a full UK passport. And I want to travel to US as half of my family lives there.

I am a full time employee with rent and every other bill stating that I have ties to The UK.

Any advice on how I should go about applying for US visa.

Should I apply ESTA? Or if I apply ESTA there are chances that it can be refused?

Or is it better if I apply as a NON-Immigrant visa at the US consulate?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: US visa as a British Citizen

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:10 pm

I would go ESTA, then if it doesn't work, your only option would be the visa.

However, there isn't much point doing it now, there are Covid related restrictions for British:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tries.html

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Re: US visa as a British Citizen

Post by obormot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Note that ESTA application contains a question:
"Have you ever been denied a U.S. visa you applied for with your current or previous passport, or have you ever been refused admission to the United States or withdrawn your application for admission at a U.S. port of entry?"
Now, there were people reporting being refused US visa with their original nationality passport, who later were granted ESTA with EU passport (and who answered YES to the question above)..