ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credits and Housing benifit. Fiance Visa. Confused!

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rachprocter4

Tax Credits and Housing benifit. Fiance Visa. Confused!

Post by rachprocter4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:24 pm

I have posted in the general section but reading through the posts here, this seems to be a more suitable!

I am a UK citizen, and my future husband is from the US. I am currently alone in the the UK with my son working full time, I claim tax credits, child tax credits and housing benefit. My fiance has savings, which he can obviously prove, which he will be able to live off when he moves here.

The wording on the requirements for the visa confuses me a little:

* you plan to marry or register a civil partnership within a reasonable time (usually six months) YES

* you plan to live together permanently after you are married or have registered a civil partnership YES

* you have met each other before YES

* there is somewhere for you and your dependants to live until you get married or register a civil partnership, and you will be able to live without help from public funds YES (But I receive housing benefit to help with the rent)

* you and your dependants can be supported without working or claiming any help from public funds. He will not need any money from public funds, but am I still allowed to receive these?? I was presuming I couldn't be receiving any money, is this correct?

Thank you so much for reading. I'm so desperate to be with him (I'm sure there are a lot of people feeling the same way) and am very nervous he won't be able to enter the UK.

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 pm

OK I've read through the posts on this forum now, and from what I have read I'M allowed to claim it, but HE is not? But don't I have to declare he is living with me on my benefits?

I'm sorry if you feel everyone is repeating themselves. This is so important to me, I just want to get the facts confirmed in my mind.

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:59 pm

:( Anyone?

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:42 pm

Hi, as far as i understand it you are allowed to claim housing benefit for yourself but not your hubby.
The main question is will your have to resort to additional public funds? this is what they are looking at.

rachprocter4

Post by rachprocter4 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:45 am

Right, thank you very much for the conformation. If anything I'll be claiming less....

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Yes it probably will go down because your working tax credit will be based on both your incomes .
I am in simular situation that i have the tax credits but to strengthen the case i have provided evidence of a job offer for when my hubby returns,this can only make your case stronger. Good luck.

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Sorry just noticed you are applying for fiance visa,obviously he won't be allowed to work till you are married and changed to a spouse visa so job offer will not be necessary.

myrlabelle

Post by myrlabelle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:38 pm

hi,
so does that mean that you can still apply for housing benefit eventhough he lives with you and in the process of applying for a spouse visa??