ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Ceremony Problem

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ILR_MN1

British Citizenship Ceremony Problem

Post by ILR_MN1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Dear All,

My application for British Citizenship was approved in July 2020 but i have just received to attend the ceremony yesterday after 3 months.

Now I need to travel in the mid of October outside UK and the earliest date for ceremony is available is 5th October and I will not have enough time to apply and get Passport.

I'm told, if I attend the ceremony then my travel document (ILR BRP) will be invalid to travel and I need to obtain passport before I can travel. Can you please confirm if that is correct.

Can i delay my citizenship ceremony for 2 months so I can travel and when I'm back, i can attend the ceremony after isolation period is over?

Your advice will be really helpful to guide me the right path without getting into trouble as this travel is really important for me.

I look forward to your response.

Many thanks,

fbaig76
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizenship Ceremony Problem

Post by fbaig76 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:30 pm

I would suggest a private cermoney and apply for passport asap. which council are you in and what was your date of application?

ILR_MN1

Post by ILR_MN1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks,

Private ceremony is not available and council is only doing group ceremony. I am in Barking and Dagenham Council and date of application is 9 Feb 2020. Approval was in July 2020 and letter received yesterday dated 1st September.

ILR_MN1

Post by ILR_MN1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone please give guidance in my situation.

Many thanks,

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:03 pm

https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies
Citizenship ceremonies and coronavirus (COVID-19)
Usually you must attend a citizenship ceremony within 3 months of receiving your invitation from the Home Office. Because of coronavirus, this time has been extended.

You might be able to have an online ‘virtual’ ceremony, if your local council offers it. You can attend alone or with members of your household.
If I am not wrong, the time is extended to 6 months now. But contact your council to double check.

https://www.lbbd.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Due to coronavirus, the period over time to book a citizenship ceremony after receiving an invitation from the Home Office has been extended from 3 months to 6 months, to allow for greater flexibility.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/firs ... e-minister
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ILR_MN1

Post by ILR_MN1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:56 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:03 pm
Thanks Cullinan, I have spoken with Council and they were not sure. They told me that my 3 month starts from end of July and will finish in end of October and they will return my certificate to home office.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:01 pm

ILR_MN1 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:56 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:03 pm
Thanks Cullinan, I have spoken with Council and they were not sure. They told me that my 3 month starts from end of July and will finish in end of October and they will return my certificate to home office.
Well the official gov website clearly states the time starts from receiving the invitation letter. I can not comment what your council will do though.

You should probably do written correspondence with your council stating the above reference so you can have evidence in writing to avoid disappointment later on.

rayyfar

Post by rayyfar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 pm

http://chng.it/nCdBksQ46L

please sign the petition so the home office can suspend ceremony amid COVID 19

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 pm

rayyfar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:18 pm
http://chng.it/nCdBksQ46L

please sign the petition so the home office can suspend ceremony amid COVID 19
Go ahead and sign petitions, but be aware that this is not something that the government can change overnight.

It would require an Act of Parliament (as the oath requirement is in an older Act of Parliament) and that can take months (generally more than 6-8 months). Given that Parliament will be looking at legislation about the end of the transition period in the short term, I would not expect any action till mid-2021, if at all.

So keep expectations real.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 am

When do you come back from your holiday? If its before end Oct then ask your Council if you can do your ceremony after you come back before your 3 months end

But if your trip is not urgent I would highly highly recommend you postpone it and get done with your ceremony + British passport. If you don't and your certificate is returned to the HO because of your own fault, there's no telling how long it would be before you'd get another date for your ceremony

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:32 am

ILR_MN1 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:00 pm
I'm told, if I attend the ceremony then my travel document (ILR BRP) will be invalid to travel and I need to obtain passport before I can travel. Can you please confirm if that is correct.
This is 100% correct and I've confirmed this with the Home Office and my council both