Clarification on Naturalisation Application Process & Restrictions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation
Atreya
Newly Registered

Clarification on Naturalisation Application Process & Restrictions

Post by Atreya »

Hello Admins, Gurus and fellow applicants

I am in the process of preparing my application for Naturalisation.

I have an ILR (issued two weeks ago, applied under Tier 2 General). I'm married to a British citizen.
I meet the 270days / 90days requirements, and have 2 references (one chartered Engineer, with IMechE another one is my colleague).

I'm keen to get the application done, but not sure what restrictions on travels are. I've skimmed through a number of threads but looks like there have been a few changes since introduction to online application form, UKVCAS, and COVID specific processes..

My dilemma is, I'm travelling abroad 10-17 October 2020. My specific questions are:

1) Am I allowed to travel as soon as I submit my application, made payment and register with UKVCAS?
Or am I only ok to travel abroad after all document submitted and Biometrics done?
Or is there other restrictions in terms of travel abroad?

2) Will I need to submit my passport? Or do I just need to upload them to UKVCAS, like the ILR application process?

Would admin/ gurus advise for me to only submit applications when I'm sure I'm not travelling (in which case probably November time), or am I worrying for nothing... :|
alterhase58

Re: Clarification on Naturalisation Application Process & Restrictions

Post by alterhase58 »

1) Am I allowed to travel as soon as I submit my application, made payment and register with UKVCAS?
Yes - but you will need to schedule your biometrics appointment for after your return.

Or am I only ok to travel abroad after all document submitted and Biometrics done?
No
Or is there other restrictions in terms of travel abroad?
No
2) Will I need to submit my passport? Or do I just need to upload them to UKVCAS, like the ILR application process? No-just upload the scan like all other documents.
Unlike Visa and ILR applications naturalisation is not an immigration application, so no travel restrictions.
From a practical point of view I would try and avoid any distraction during your application process - remember that naturalisation is a choice and you are not bound by timings.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.
Atreya
Newly Registered

Post by Atreya »

Thank you @alterhase58 for the quick reply, that's noted.. :) and agree that perhaps I should wait until I'm back to avoid distractions.

To clarify my understanding,

1) Is there any 'expiry date' to the signed references form and documentation?
One of the drivers for me to apply soon is because I have my letters signed by my references this week, I wonder if they are only valid for limited period as these are dated?
Same goes to my employer reference letter..

2) So the process of application is: a) Submit application online, b) create UKVCAS account, c) upload document in UKVCAS before biometric appointment, d) book for biometric appointment
alterhase58

Post by alterhase58 »

Atreya wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:24 am Thank you @alterhase58 for the quick reply, that's noted.. :) and agree that perhaps I should wait until I'm back to avoid distractions.

To clarify my understanding,

1) Is there any 'expiry date' to the signed references form and documentation?
One of the drivers for me to apply soon is because I have my letters signed by my references this week, I wonder if they are only valid for limited period as these are dated?
Same goes to my employer reference letter..

2) So the process of application is: a) Submit application online, b) create UKVCAS account, c) upload document in UKVCAS before biometric appointment, d) book for biometric appointment
1) I would say max one/two months - there's no guidance on this but if you leave them much longer then things might change with the referees.
2) I think the sequence is a-b-d-c (sorry never used the system)
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.
Atreya
Newly Registered

Post by Atreya »

Thank you so much @alterhase58 ! Much appreciate the advice. :D