ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU Dependent parents residence visa in UK under EU law

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wonder007
Newly Registered
Ireland

Non EU Dependent parents residence visa in UK under EU law

Post by wonder007 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi There

I am an Irish National living in UK since 2016. My parents have just returned to Pakistan after visiting me in UK. I am supporting them since 2004 and I`ll all relevant paper work to prove it i.e. banking transaction details.

I am a bit confused if I should apply for their residency under EU law or not as couple of people have suggested me that it would be very hard for them to get the resident visa as Home Office is very strict and normally don`t grant any visa to elderly people. Furthermore, once Resident visa is rejected, they will not be able to get the visa visa anymore. I don`t want to be in a situation where they are not able to even visit me as I can`t visit Pakistan on regular basis.

What is overall processing time if I apply from Pakistan and would it be good idea to bring them here again on visit visa and apply for pre-settlement status while they are in UK as it will be a speedy process. Any thoughts ?

I`ll highly appreciate your kind response.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Non EU Dependent parents residence visa in UK under EU law

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:54 am

Hello

Yes, immigration of elderly people is difficult. I believe that if someone is not happy somewhere, that person should emigrate while young not waiting until reaching an advanced age as all doors will close then. It's a universal rule that countries try to block this immigration by all means. The reason is easy to understand: no country wants someone to pay taxes for 40 years somewhere then immigrate as his/her health and social costs go through the roof. This is not considered person by person by rather old people seen as a demographic group.

However, that being said, it seems like the United Kingdom lowered its immigration criteria since the Brexit. With the EU Settlement Scheme, nearly anyone qualifies. Many managed to bring parents, in-laws... and sometimes entire households. The dependency is not to be proven as strictly as under EEA route. There are even successful cases where people didn't even submit a single document towards proving dependency.

So for your parents, you need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme. They need to do that from Pakistan rather than coming to the UK with a visitor visa.

There are good chances that it would work out of the box. I see many people applying and getting positive outcome in circumstances that would have been unimaginable before the Brexit.

However, the risk is yours. No one can tell you for that sure that it will 100% work. I may not work for you for whatever reason.

If it doesn't work, your parents will never get a visitor visa. Not even in 2030.

So it's up to you to discuss as a family and see if you want to run the risk or not.

wonder007
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wonder007 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:45 am

I am more confused now. Very hard to make a choice.

But anyway, thanks for your kind response.

Sajid29

Post by Sajid29 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:29 am

Hello Dear ,i have applied for my parents under Eu settlement scheme but it's been a month now since no appointments are available. Everyday i check for appointment but no availability.

wonder007
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wonder007 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:56 pm

I`ve finally decided to apply and came to forum to seek some advise about the paper work and if I should via a solicitor or do the application myself but you are now telling that there are no appointments. Strange.

Sajid29

Post by Sajid29 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm

wonder007 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:56 pm
I`ve finally decided to apply and came to forum to seek some advise about the paper work and if I should via a solicitor or do the application myself but you are now telling that there are no appointments. Strange.
It's easy,do it yourself . Are you applying from Pakistan?

wonder007
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wonder007 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 am

Yes, my parents are in PK.

Sajid29

Post by Sajid29 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:19 am

wonder007 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:06 am
Yes, my parents are in PK.
Yes you can apply online , get on demand mobile service ,they have this service available for Islamabad and Lahore . They will visit your house and take biometric . This is how my family did biometrics few days ago . Usually they don't have appointment on VFS website. We give our relative address for biometrics as we don't live in Capital .

wonder007
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by wonder007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:17 pm

Can you please share the list of documents which you have attached with the application. I am a bit confused with the application process.

>> Is this the right place form where I`ll start my application ? I`ll submit everything on behalf of my parents.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... -selection (Pakistan)

>> next step

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/next (entered my email)

>> next step

Thats where I am confused: (I am an Irish national)

Close family member of an Irish Citizen who does not have a UK immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme, but would qualify for status under the EU Settlement Scheme were they to apply for it (I think this option applies in my case as it explicitly talks about the Irish national)

Family member of an EEA national (is this option applicable for anyone from EEA other than Irish ?)

I`ll highly appreciate your kind advise,