ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is a brother-in-law extended family member

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Battlestar

Is a brother-in-law extended family member

Post by Battlestar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi guys,

I live in Belgium with my partner and kids. I'm British, kids are British too, wife has a Belgian residence card (Pakistan national).

I'd like to apply for my brother-in-law to join us and wanted to know if he might be able to get a residence card to live with us in Belgium as an extended family member.

When I applied for my wife I didn't have to show any proof of finance etc.

How would it work with him, could anyone provide me with a link or post I could read to find out what further evidence I might need to show.

I assumed it would be a standard Schengen visitor visa and then once in Belgium, I'd just have to gt him registered like my wife.

Thanks.

secret.simon

Re: Is a brother-in-law extended family member

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Is your brother-in-law dependent on you? Can you demonstrate regular money transfers to him?

Also, I believe (though I could be wrong) that you have very limited time to sponsor him (till the end of this year), as an EFM.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Your brother as well as brother-in-law are extended family members.

Don't bring him on Schengen visa as you won't be able to apply for him as Extended Family member. And usually if he doesn't work and he is only dependent on you, they don't issue a Schengen a visa.

You are not an EEA national anymore. You are just seen as such until Dec 31st.

Proof of dependency is a must as secret.simon indicated.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 am

Hi,

So I do send him money regularly and until the 31/12/2020 I thought we were EEA nationals and must be treated as such, no?

I could submit his case in October, as EFM just need to know how. I send money regularly and do have evidence going back two years.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 am

Any further information guys would be appreciated on how to bring him over on efm.

UK245
BANNED

Post by UK245 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:51 am

Not going to happen. He'd need to be wholly dependent on you, and the clock is ticking.....

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Battlestar wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 am
Any further information guys would be appreciated on how to bring him over on efm.
I am not longer believer in EEA EFM especially when the extended family member is not demonstrably dependent at this point in time.

I don't believe it does worth it to quickly send some Western Union wires just to use the receipts in December for a last minute application.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Battlestar wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 am
Hi,

So I do send him money regularly and until the 31/12/2020 I thought we were EEA nationals and must be treated as such, no?

I could submit his case in October, as EFM just need to know how. I send money regularly and do have evidence going back two years.
No, you are treated like an EU national under the withdrawal agreement.

Is there a specific reason why he is dependent on you? How old is he?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.