ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student loan and other benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Student loan and other benefits

Post by wikki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:37 am

Hello,

During my research, I found out that you cannot combine student loans with universal credit. So I wanted to know what other forms of benefit can you get/combine if you have applied for a student loan?

NB: The student loan only covers tuition fees and not living costs. I would like to know which other forms of benefits I am entitled to.

Thanks

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Student loan and other benefits

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 pm

wikki wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:37 am
Hello,

During my research, I found out that you cannot combine student loans with universal credit. So I wanted to know what other forms of benefit can you get/combine if you have applied for a student loan?

NB: The student loan only covers tuition fees and not living costs. I would like to know which other forms of benefits I am entitled to.

Thanks
No benefits, students work part time to cover their living costs. Have a look on the university boards for any jobs they have or ask in the local bars or restaurants.

You won't have to pay Council Tax while you are a student.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Two years ago you were applying for a Tier 4 visa for the September 2018 intake.
What grounds have you got for a UK Student loan and grants?
Are you on the same course that you started in September 2018?

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 pm
wikki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks
No benefits, students work part time to cover their living costs. Have a look on the university boards for any jobs they have or ask in the local bars or restaurants.

I'll happily do part times, as I have done in my previous studies. It is just that with the current situation getting one is not evident

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:45 pm
Two years ago you were applying for a Tier 4 visa for the September 2018 intake.
I am no longer a tier 4 student. Do you have any answer to the problem please

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:10 pm

JB007 wrote:
Not the same course. I have finished the course I was doing. Will start a new one next year

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:50 pm

wikki wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm
JB007 wrote:
I am no longer a tier 4 student. Do you have any answer to the problem please
I have answered it, there is no benefits for students. British citizen students work to keep themselves during term time and work full time during the holidays, to build a nest egg for term time. Even if they choose not to take the student loan, they are still treated as having that loan for benefit purposes = zero benefits.

The reason I wanted to know your immigration status was to see if you are limited for the number of hours you are allowed to work during term time and would be in breach of a visa if you do not keep to the terms of the visa.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:09 pm

wikki wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm
JB007 wrote:
wikki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

I'll happily do part times, as I have done in my previous studies. It is just that with the current situation getting one is not evident
As you seem to be allowed to work in the UK, then you should be working now. The supermarket jobs near campus are usually taken by students who worked in a supermarket while they studied for A levels, then they transfer to that supermarket near campus for university. The rest have to look for jobs when they get there, or go the area before and look for a job in restaurants, bars, shops etc, to try to get one of the jobs.

As said, there are no benefits for students who can't find work. You are not a full-time jobseeker and you can't have money for rent as you have a student loan. That's it with UK benefits. Nor can you have Universal Credit (jobseekers element and rent element benefits) during the holidays as your student loan covers that period too as far as benefits are concerned.
Last edited by JB007 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm

wikki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks
There are no benefits for Tier 4 holders in the UK. The visa comes with a "No Recourse to Public Funds" condition.

However, as a student, you may find some international bursaries depending on your profile. Sometimes they are given by international funds, private charities or other organisations. These usually are ok without breaching your visa.

Even if you manage to obtain benefits somehow on Tier 4, you will be fully in breach and this can backfire badly when discovered.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm
wikki wrote:
Hello,

Thanks
There are no benefits for Tier 4 holders in the UK. The visa comes with a "No Recourse to Public Funds" condition.

However, as a student, you may find some international bursaries depending on your profile. Sometimes they are given by international funds, private charities or other organisations. These usually are ok without breaching your visa.

Even if you manage to obtain benefits somehow on Tier 4, you will be fully in breach and this can backfire badly when discovered.

He said he is getting a student loan, which tier 4 students can't have either, which was also why I asked his status as he was applying for a tier 4 visa 2 years ago.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:52 pm

That's bad. He may get away with it now but when it comes to switch to another visa, they will automatically find out that money out of entitlement.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm

The user is on recently granted 5 year refugee leave to remain.

general-uk-immigration-forum/possible-m ... l#p1892268
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks.

Why didn't you say that OP when I asked about your first posts; how you were applying for a Tier 4 visa two years ago? It's very difficul to give advice if you don't give your immigration status in the UK.

You can't have UK benefits as a student because British citizens can't. You will need to find a job somewhere if you want extra money but there is no limit to the number of hours you can work.

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:30 pm
CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks.

Why didn't you say that OP when I asked about your first posts; how you were applying for a Tier 4 visa two years ago? It's very difficul to give advice if you don't give your immigration status in the UK.

You can't have UK benefits as a student because British citizens can't. You will need to find a job somewhere if you want extra money but there is no limit to the number of hours you can work.
I did answer, I was no longer a Tier 4 student but all you lots just seemed to focus/assume that I must be a tier 4 student.

Thankd for your help anyways.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:02 am

wikki wrote:
To put it another way-

If somebody loses their job, doesn't have savings and has rent to pay, they only get about £76 a week jobseeker's allowance benefit a week.
From that £76 a week, they are expected to pay-
-Any rent shortfall that is not covered by the housing element amount of Universal Credit (or Housing Benefit if they are still on that legacy benefit that is being replaced by Universal Credit).
-Their gas, electric, water bills and any other bills
-Their Council Tax (albeit a reduction in the monthly amount. Reduction % set by each council)
What is left is for food and other essentials.

A jobseeker who has a mortgage, doesn't get any benefit money given to them for their housing (mortgage).

You can see why a student isn't entitled to any benefits as they have a higher income than the amount the Welfare laws say a person can live on; about £76 a week. Students have all the student loan money, the student grants, are exempt from paying council tax and that amount is not reduced by them working.

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:02 am
wikki wrote:
To put it another way-

If somebody loses their job, doesn't have savings and has rent to pay, they only get about £76 a week jobseeker's allowance benefit a week.
From that £76 a week, they are expected to pay-
-Any rent shortfall that is not covered by the housing element amount of Universal Credit (or Housing Benefit if they are still on that legacy benefit that is being replaced by Universal Credit).
-Their gas, electric, water bills and any other bills
-Their Council Tax (albeit a reduction in the monthly amount. Reduction % set by each council)
What is left is for food and other essentials.

A jobseeker who has a mortgage, doesn't get any benefit money given to them for their housing (mortgage).

You can see why a student isn't entitled to any benefits as they have a higher income than the amount the Welfare laws say a person can live on; about £76 a week. Students have all the student loan money, the student grants, are exempt from paying council tax and that amount is not reduced by them working.
Thank you for the detailed response!

I guess then it is spossible to claim Universal Credit when you are a student IF you have NOT taken any student loans right?

I am working at the moment I think I should be able to gather the necessary amount for the tuition. However I am worried that I amy not be able to have part time jobs when I start my masters, given the current epidemic/socio-economic situation.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 am

wikki wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 pm
I guess then it is spossible to claim Universal Credit when you are a student IF you have NOT taken any student loans right?

Wrong.
JB007 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:50 pm
I have answered it, there is no benefits for students. British citizen students work to keep themselves during term time and work full time during the holidays, to build a nest egg for term time. Even if they choose not to take the student loan, they are still treated as having that loan for benefit purposes = zero benefits.
JB007 wrote:

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:58 am

Students never have been able to claim benefits for themselves, even under the old benefits that Universal Credit has replaced. They save for university and if they don't have enough, they work.

Why do you think student halls, student house lordlords', want their money as soon as the students receive their loan?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:10 am

wikki wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 pm
However I am worried that I amy not be able to have part time jobs when I start my masters, given the current epidemic/socio-economic situation.
Those who I know who have returned to university for a masters, have always worked and saved, until they had enough money to fund their masters without having to work. I don't know where you got the idea that the British taxpayers, who fund the welfare state, would give you money while you study?

Perhaps defer your masters, until you have saved enough money to fund your studies? Or, as mentioned above, look to see if you can find a grant, although I doubt that would be much.

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:19 pm

Those who I know who have returned to university for a masters, have always worked and saved, until they had enough money to fund their masters without having to work.
Firstly, Yeah you knew people who worked and saved - like everyone else, including me. I worked my mule off to fund my first masters. I am tempted to ask how old you are because you can clearly not understand what financial stress students (both local and international) go through, which has been aggravated by the pandemic. Moreover, student who do not work part-time are from rich families or have either taken a student loan. This is the reality.
I don't know where you got the idea that the British taxpayers, who fund the welfare state, would give you money while you study?
Secondly, not all tax payers in the UK are British (surprise, surprise!). Some of us have paid taxes for years and have never benefited from it while it has been enjoyed by some lazy citizens (which of course, exists in every country). But you have never seen us complain about that, have you? I guess not

Finally, I really do not appreciate your little subtle judgemental tone to my questions asking for my eligibility for a LOAN (again, a loan is not for free, it has to be paid back in case you do not know what a loan is).
And if my status gives me the right to claim benefits, I will surely do that because I have worked here, paid taxes and I have every single right.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm

Don't shoot the messenger. British citizen students cannot have benefits for themselves and never had been able to, and neither can you.

What made you think you could have low income benefis while you study?

wikki
BANNED
Mood:

Post by wikki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:05 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm
Don't shoot the messenger. British citizen students cannot have benefits for themselves and never had been able to, and neither can you.

Well, I tell you what? The messenger needs a wee spank if he is acting silly.

"What made you think you could have low income benefis while you study?"

Are you now dictating who gets to ask a certain type of question?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:47 pm

wikki wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:05 pm
JB007 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:52 pm

Well, I tell you what? The messenger needs a wee spank if he is acting silly.

"What made you think you could have low income benefis while you study?"

Are you now dictating who gets to ask a certain type of question?
You are going to get a reality check if you think you can use threatening behaviour in the UK, when you don't get what you want to be given.