ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of travel without partner for an EEA family permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

achrafmeltof
Newly Registered
Morocco

Right of travel without partner for an EEA family permit

Post by achrafmeltof » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi Guys,
I need to travel to my home country next month for some papers, I had a look online and the ticket flight is just too expensive for me and my family that's why I decided to go alone which will be the first time, I'm an EEA family permit holder with an EEA resident Card and been in the UK for 4 years, I do normally travel with my partner but this time I would like to go alone, am I going to find any problems? because I read that I can only travel with my partner not alone is that true?
Thank you for your help

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Right of travel without partner for an EEA family permit

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Hello

Travel to where?

You can't travel alone to an EEA country. You have to travel with your sponsor.

Otherwise, if you are travelling to a country where you don't need a visa or have already a visa, it's fine. You can travel alone and you can come back to the UK alone and they will you in with your EEA card.

Note: I assume the EEA card was delivered by the UK.

achrafmeltof
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by achrafmeltof » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi,
Yes traveling outside the European borders. So i can travel to my home country which is Morocco and then i can come back without any problems and without the need of my partner is that right?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Hello

Yes absolutely.

My wife has an EEA card and she travels out of the EU and back alone without any issues.

The card allows you to travel without your partner.

It's only if you want to go to an EEA country such as France or Germany without visa, then you need to take your sponsor with you.

Shahbazraja786

Post by Shahbazraja786 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:45 am

achrafmeltof wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm
Hi,
Yes traveling outside the European borders. So i can travel to my home country which is Morocco and then i can come back without any problems and without the need of my partner is that right?
Hello brother if u r Moroccan citizen u can travel alone without any issue in simple words.i have same visa card like u have I travel to my country without my partner

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:28 am

achrafmeltof wrote: I read that I can only travel with my partner not alone is that true?
Not true. I have travelled dozens of times alone, without my EU partner, and with my EEA card and passport. No issues whatsoever, sometimes I have been asked where my partner is, I say he's in [our home city in the UK] waiting for me, and that's the end of it. Most times I am not asked any questions.

So as Zerubbabel said above, answer to your question is you will have no issues traveling from the UK to Morocco and back (provided you make no stops in any restricted country, etc).
Zerubbabel wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 pm
It's only if you want to go to an EEA country such as France or Germany without visa, then you need to take your sponsor with you.
Slight tangent just for further info: Everyone please be aware that right now it is not just the visa issue that prevents people from traveling to Schengen countries. It is covid.

Even if your nationality allows for visa-free travel on its own right; if you do not have a EEA card and traveling with your family member you will not be allowed into the Schengen area. For covid reasons, no one except nationals of Schengen countries and their family members, with proof (EEA card/marriage certificate), can enter the Schengen area.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.