ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM Eligibility

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunburn
United States of America

Re: UKM Eligibility

Post by sunburn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:31 pm

My mother never held a British passport. She was born there and spent her childhood there, and then moved to India as a dependent listed on her parents passport. She has her birth certificate from GRO listing her birth in a London hospital in the late 1950s, which is sufficient proof of UK citizenship for her.

Given the above, there was no problem with her acquiring an Indian passport; until a few years ago we weren't even aware she (or I) had British nationality or any claim to it.

The situation is similar to Indians with US born kids choosing an Indian passport for them. This is permitted, except that the Indian passport is lost if the child acquires a US one later (which is a requirement if they need to travel to US).

mslibraoctww
India

Post by mslibraoctww » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Based on questions above that my mom dint travel between 1970-1983 so she would have stamped either with or w/o right of abode.

My research is getting complex results .Look at this passport validity 1980-1990.Same stamp?

https://www.papertotravel.com/MP-74

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 pm

mslibraoctww wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:32 pm
My research is getting complex results .Look at this passport validity 1980-1990.Same stamp?

https://www.papertotravel.com/MP-74
Unless I am missing something subtle, that is a bog-standard cancellation stamp. It has nothing to do with RoA or patriality (what RoA was called before 1983).

As I mentioned above, let's pause this thread as this is going nowhere. The advice that @sunburn and I have given is unlikely to change, based on current evidence. As I suggested, make a Form NS application and let us know what the Home Office says.

You could even do a Form UKM application directly and if that succeeds, that means that your mother is entitled to a British citizen passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:18 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 pm
You could even do a Form UKM application directly and if that succeeds, that means that your mother is entitled to a British citizen passport.
Fees: £80.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:18 am
Fees: £80.
And given that the £80 is fees for a citizenship ceremony, I presume (not sure) that it would be refunded if the application fails.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:16 am

Citizenship ceremony fee
You need to pay this if you are required to attend a citizenship ceremony. You would only get a refund if your application is refused or withdrawn.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mslibraoctww
India

Post by mslibraoctww » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:46 pm

There is a problem,My mom has different name after marriage.For UKM i will send her expired passport but on my passport its her name after marriage .

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Just send her marriage registration certificate listing the change of surname. I sent that along with my mothers birth certificate since her married name appears on my birth certificate.

mslibraoctww
India

Post by mslibraoctww » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:02 pm

It's not just surname ,first name is also different and she changed it years after marriage so marriage certificate matches passport name additionally her surname .She might have newspaper cutting and an affidavit.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Well, you'll have to get whatever official documentation is required to prove her identity. Please check with your local registrar's office or the place where her name change was recorded.