ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa appeal (article 8 human rights)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Re: Spouse visa appeal (article 8 human rights)

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:55 pm
That's why I asked you earlier on if you raised the kids.

If you lived with them extensively, raised them, they call you "dad"... that may create the exceptional circumstances.

The rest, doesn't weights too much. You can't tell the Home Office "these kids needs me as a father figure to help their mum to raise them".

Honestly, I don't think you are realising yet what you signed up for. In the UK, being married doesn't open any automatic immigration right.
Thank you sir for your help.
Ofcourse kids attached with me and they call me dad as their father don't have any role in their lifes but just to pay as it's legal right of kids and in UK a father have to pay he want or even don't want. We have proof where he denied to even pay in past. He don't see them even or contact them over the phone(but still he have legal rights on kids).
I lived with my wife and kids for 7 weeks only that's because her not being able to visit Pakistan on regularly basis as it's really expensive for her. We speak daily on video calls.

Again here I will say thanks to all the members of this platform who helps people with guidance and advise.
I am so grateful to the admin also who provides us this really helpful platform.
I will update with any out come or a question. Thanks to all I really appreciate it.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Muhammad jabbar 1993 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:49 pm
I lived with my wife and kids for 7 weeks only
That's the issue. You wouldn't be able to build an exceptional circumstances case based on 7 weeks of cohabitation.

You are welcome if you want to explore an other idea.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:22 pm
JB007 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:37 am
vinny wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:47 am
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 am
On the basis of exceptional circumstances we had 3rd party support also from my family relative who earn £40957.47 per year.
See also Financial support from a third party.
Does that mean they have to keep the person who gets the visa?

It sounds like his wife has been claiming low income benefits for quite some time and is likely on the old benefits, Child Tax Credit, likely Working Tax Credit as she works two evenings a week and is perhaps trying to work 16 hours a week to get the WTC benefit too? And I assume, the benefits Housing Benefit for her rent and Council Tax Benefit/Reduction? Income Support for a single parent too?

All of those low income welfare benefits are replaced by Universal Credit and the OP being in the UK will move his wife to Universal Credit, with no transitional protection (from lower benefits amount being paid). Universal Credit also has the 2 child limit.
Sir
My wife was earning £6888.96 annual from part time job and she receive £4000.44 per year from her ex-husband for child maintenance and child benefit £48.10 per week that is £2315.64 per year. So total calculation was £13205.4 annually.
I'm not sure she can use the money paid by her first husband for his children, to show she can support you?

Her only earning £6,888.96pa seems to look like she is working the minimum hours to be able to also claim the welfare payment Working Tax Credit (16 hours a week), in addition to the other benefits she is claiming. The UK's miunimum wage for April 19 to March 20 was £8.21 an hour. There is also a working 30hours a week element for Working Tax Credit, that means she could have more money. Both of these allow her to claim for childcare costs (for all three children) through that Working Tax Credit benefit.

She wil also be claiming Child Tax Credit for two of her children, her and her ex would have known that they could not claim benefits for more than two children anymore, when they had their 3rd child.

If she is renting, she will also be claiming other benefits; Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit/Council Tax Reduction.

Child Benefit does not have a 2 child limit.
their father don't have any role in their lifes but just to pay as it's legal right of kids and in UK a father have to pay he want or even don't want. We have proof where he denied to even pay in past.
The UK work out the mimmum he must pay but this payment does not reduce the amount of all the other benefits she is claiming. The fact that he is paying so little, seems to show that he is not working much/not earning much.

This is why I think she is on the old benefits that are getting replaced by Universal Credit, as it looks like the parents have been claiming low income benefits for a long time. Under that short lived Tax Credit benefits, parents only has to work 24 hours a week between them. When she became a single mother, she only had to work 16 hours a week to get additonal benefit money through anothjer benefit called Working Tax Credit.

Unless she decides to work and use her WTC claim to help pay for a childminder, I don't see how she can sponsor you. She is heavily reliant on the UK's welfare state and not working much. If you had savings, you could use your savings to reduce the amount she must earn to sponsor you.

However, under the welfare reforms, the short lived Tax Credit benefit are two of the low income benefits that are ending and beoing replaced by a new benefit called Universal Credit. The UK is returning to what UK benftits were invented for, a short term help for those in dire need. Universal Credit will end parents living on benefits as a lifestyle choice and both parents will be required to work and the UC amount being paid is less than the Tax Credit benefit.

I'm sure your wife will be aware of the welfare reforms and at that at some point her benefits will end and she will have to claim under the new system. By the time her youngest chold is age 5, she will have to earn 25 hours a week an the national minumum wage that year. Perhaps you could use this to persuade her to work to be able to sponsor you.

Ironically, if you get a visa to the UK, that will trigger her benefit move over to Universal Credit with no transitional protection (no protection form a drop in benefit money). And under Universal Credit, unlike the Working Tax Credit benefit UC replaces, she can't claim extra benefit money for you.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:15 pm

I lived with my wife and kids for 7 weeks only that's because her not being able to visit Pakistan on regularly basis as it's really expensive for her.
And her UK benefits would end.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 pm

seagul wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm
Can't your uncle lend you £62500 for 6 months because the same or even greater time you might have to consume over appeals.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 am

seagul wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 pm
seagul wrote:
Can't your uncle lend you £62500 for 6 months because the same or even greater time you might have to consume over appeals.

To be fair, that's the only option.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:24 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 am
seagul wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:22 pm
seagul wrote:

To be fair, that's the only option.

And that would end most of benefits that his wife is living on. She could still claim Child Benefit.
JB007 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:03 pm
Ironically, if you get a visa to the UK, that will trigger her benefit move over to Universal Credit with no transitional protection (no protection form a drop in benefit money). And under Universal Credit, unlike the Working Tax Credit benefit UC replaces, she can't claim extra benefit money for you.
His wife moving in a partner, triggers a move off her (old type) benefits. These claimants are then invited to apply for the Universal Credit benefit, which she won't get as they have £62,500. You can't claim Universal Credit if you have 16K. Under Universal Credit, unlike the Tax Credit benefits UC replaces, savings have to be used to live on.

The 62.5k has to belong to them and be a gift, for a visa. Giving away your money and then claiming benefits can be seen as deprivation of capital.
https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Depri ... sal-Credit

As under this idea she would lose all her benefits and have to work,the only option seems to be that his wife works to sponsor him; at least that way they keep some of their benefits.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Dear All,
Thank you so much for all your help and guidance.

We payed lawyer and submitted our appeal choosed oral hearing. Not sure how long it will take. Her earning £18600 is impossible and being a full time mummy of 3 kids. She have health issues also and she don't have anyone who can look after kids.

Earlier a friend shared a link stating about exceptional circumstances....
Every case is different. It is impossible to say what will be enough, in general terms, to meet the above tests in any particular case. However, some useful questions to ask may be:

Would the British family member be able to get a visa to live in the other country?
Has the British family member ever been to the other country?
Has the British family member ever lived anywhere outside the UK?
Are there support networks in the UK (parents, siblings, friends etc.) that cannot be replicated in the other country?
Does the British partner have a child from a previous relationship they’d lose contact with if they relocate outside the UK?
What are the living conditions in the other country? Is there any information in the Home Office’s Country Policy and Information Notes that may be of assistance?
Are there any cultural or religious norms in the other country (e.g. poor treatment of women, bans on same-sex relationships, bans on inter-faith marriages, strict religious rules, dress codes etc.) which could cause difficulties?
Is there a language barrier that would be difficult to overcome?
Are there any health or developmental issues that would make relocation particularly difficult (poor mental health, autism, learning difficulties etc.)?
Is the British citizen receiving medical treatment that could not be continued in the other country?
If remaining the UK is simply a preference, you are unlik
ely to be successful.
We almost meet all of above mentioned questions also.

I will say thanks to everyone for their generous help and advise. We don't have any other options at the moment but to go for appeal. If any one can advise something about our appeal now, we will be very grateful.

Please if anyone can tell us timeline of appeal?
One more thing what type of issues are acceptable to request them to process the appeal fast.
Thank you

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm

[/quote]

In my opinion, the third party support might only be played successfully where if your wife has the sole custody which isn't the case in your circumstances, means no exceptional circumstances are involved, as the biological father is available to supervise the kids. Can't your uncle lend you £62500 for 6 months because the same or even greater time you might have to consume over appeals.
[/quote]

Dear All,
Thank you so much for all your help and guidance.

We payed lawyer and submitted our appeal choosed oral hearing. Not sure how long it will take. Her earning £18600 is impossible and being a full time mummy of 3 kids. She have health issues also and she don't have anyone who can look after kids.

Earlier a friend shared a link stating about exceptional circumstances....
Every case is different. It is impossible to say what will be enough, in general terms, to meet the above tests in any particular case. However, some useful questions to ask may be:

Would the British family member be able to get a visa to live in the other country?
Has the British family member ever been to the other country?
Has the British family member ever lived anywhere outside the UK?
Are there support networks in the UK (parents, siblings, friends etc.) that cannot be replicated in the other country?
Does the British partner have a child from a previous relationship they’d lose contact with if they relocate outside the UK?
What are the living conditions in the other country? Is there any information in the Home Office’s Country Policy and Information Notes that may be of assistance?
Are there any cultural or religious norms in the other country (e.g. poor treatment of women, bans on same-sex relationships, bans on inter-faith marriages, strict religious rules, dress codes etc.) which could cause difficulties?
Is there a language barrier that would be difficult to overcome?
Are there any health or developmental issues that would make relocation particularly difficult (poor mental health, autism, learning difficulties etc.)?
Is the British citizen receiving medical treatment that could not be continued in the other country?
If remaining the UK is simply a preference, you are unlikely to be successful.
We almost meet all of above mentioned questions also.

I will say thanks to everyone for their generous help and advise. We don't have any other options at the moment but to go for appeal. If any one can advise something about our appeal now, we will be very grateful.

Please if anyone can tell us timeline of appeal?
One more thing what type of issues are acceptable to request them to process the appeal fast.
Thank you

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:09 am

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:11 pm
Her earning £18600 is impossible and being a full time mummy of 3 kids. She have health issues also and she don't have anyone who can look after kids.
As already said, she can have childcare for all three children, through her benefit callled Working Tax Credit: when her benefits end under the Welfare reforms and she applies for Universal Credit instead, she has to work as parents are no longer allowed to choose not to work and have benefits instead.

If she has health issues she could apply for PIP and if her medical shows she can have that benefit, PIP would reduce the amount she needs to sponsor you. Has she applied for PIP before?

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:16 am

Your hearing could take 6 months, could take a year. Covid will probably have added many weeks to the length of time before your case is heard.

I am pretty sure as has been said before that your uncle saying he will sponsor you will not help, since he can go back on his word when you arrive, and just be saying that to try to help you get a visa.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi
My wife never applied for PIP before.
My uncle said he can go court and can satisfy them that he will be responsible and will support until I will need it.

In our grounds of appeal we mentioned about 3 British kids. They can't move out and their mother can't leave them. Her leaving UK will effect Kids life.
Refusal of visa will force her to move out as will not have any other option.
In our refusal they said....

Exceptional Circumstances
We have considered, under paragraphs GEN.3.1. and GEN.3.2. of Appendix FM as
applicable, whether there are exceptional circumstances in your case which could or
would render refusal a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR because it could or would result in
unjustifiably harsh consequences for you or your family. In so doing we have taken into
account, under paragraph GEN.3.3. of Appendix FM, the best interests of any relevant
child as a primary consideration.
You have provided no information or evidence to establish that there are any exceptional
circumstances in your case.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

applicable, whether there are exceptional circumstances in your case which could or
would render refusal a breach of Article 8 of the ECHR because it could or would result in
unjustifiably harsh consequences for you or your family. In so doing we have taken into
account, under paragraph GEN.3.3. of Appendix FM, the best interests of any relevant
You have provided no information or evidence to establish that there are any exceptional
What you have persistently been failing to comprehend/read is that these exceptional circumstances are evaporating due to the biological father is having the parental responsibility. However, if that wasn't were the case (only your wife have the sole custody of children) then you could have vigorously argue about it.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:10 pm
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

What you have persistently been failing to comprehend/read is that these exceptional circumstances are evaporating due to the biological father is having the parental responsibility. However, if that wasn't were the case (only your wife have the sole custody of children) then you could have vigorously argue about it.

I completely agreed that you said.
Actually he never been in their life after leaving. My wife is only who have full responsibility of kids and she is the only dealing everything related to kids. Their biologycal father just pay for child maintenance. Further more he never seen even once the youngest child. We even don't know his address or contact.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:37 pm

We can totally accept that the father is not good. He doesn't see his children as he should, he doesn't seem to care... etc. But this doesn't enable you to build your own immigration case on the theory that they need you with them to have a better father figure. You are really steering away from the core issue here.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:12 am

What chance did your lawyer give you of winning this case? Did he tell you that you had very good grounds for winning?

Was he OISC approved, or did you find him in India and all he is doing is representing you so he can get paid, but really he knows you have little chance of success?

Didn't your lawyer tell you how long he/ she thinks it will take to get a hearing?

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm

THO wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:12 am
What chance did your lawyer give you of winning this case? Did he tell you that you had very good grounds for winning?

Was he OISC approved, or did you find him in India and all he is doing is representing you so he can get paid, but really he knows you have little chance of success?

Didn't your lawyer tell you how long he/ she thinks it will take to get a hearing?
He senior lawyer of high court from London. He is positive about our case. He said will get a reply from HO in 15 weeks and hopefully will be positive.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm
THO wrote:

He senior lawyer of high court from London. He is positive about our case. He said will get a reply from HO in 15 weeks and hopefully will be positive.
Kindly keep the forum updated as it progresses and unfolds, this is a case to watch.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:11 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:17 pm
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:35 pm
THO wrote:

Kindly keep the forum updated as it progresses and unfolds, this is a case to watch.
Sure I will update. Till then if anyone can suggest something we will really appreciate that. Thank you

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:53 am

15 weeks was the amount of time usually given for cases that are not being sent to court to be heard by a judge, since there is a team set up by the HO to review cases quickly and try to stop them being escalated to court and thus free up judges time.

But for cases where a judge is involved, it is far longer than that. So what I think is the situation, re-reading what you said, is that if the HO team does not over rule the ECO, then you will need to have the case escalated to court which will take a long time.

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello

I am in appeal process (since July 2019)

My appeal hearing was in March 2020 and was refused.

Now the judge I had was a former Home Office representative, which is what led to refusal we all think.

Home office said in the appeal that they will accept the third party support as long as I can prove I have exceptional circumstances. And judge didn’t see any which is why it was refused.

My son is now 4 years old, I don’t have any help to raise him. I did not put him in child care full time because he needs me. Now he goes to school, that still doesn’t mean I can work FT, due to school runs and COVID effecting schools and pre/after care.

I provided a letter from employer stating I can obtain full time work as I am valued etc. This backfired as judge said I should take the FT job and meet the financial criteria (ignored my personal circumstances).

We were allowed to appeal to upper tribunal because of error in law and not considering all evidence. My mental health isn’t exactly great and I provided GP letter.

Anyway... it’s a long road! And everything is working slower.

I hope you get a good judge! It’s all there is to it. Barrister even considered my pay and benefits arguing I indeed do meet the threshold and by my spouse joining me it would not mean I would be relying on any more. The judge did not comment on this and was mentioned in grant to appeal to UT.

You will need to be extremely patient or meet the financial criteria.

If at all manageable, if she can work it’s better.

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:04 pm

Also, lawyers and barristers are paid to be positive. Don’t depend on what they think the chances are .... it’s all business to everyone.

Specially the senior ones.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:23 pm

BordersDivide wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 pm
Hello

I am in appeal process (since July 2019)

My appeal hearing was in March 2020 and was refused.

Now the judge I had was a former Home Office representative, which is what led to refusal we all think.

Home office said in the appeal that they will accept the third party support as long as I can prove I have exceptional circumstances. And judge didn’t see any which is why it was refused.

My son is now 4 years old, I don’t have any help to raise him. I did not put him in child care full time because he needs me. Now he goes to school, that still doesn’t mean I can work FT, due to school runs and COVID effecting schools and pre/after care.

I provided a letter from employer stating I can obtain full time work as I am valued etc. This backfired as judge said I should take the FT job and meet the financial criteria (ignored my personal circumstances).

We were allowed to appeal to upper tribunal because of error in law and not considering all evidence. My mental health isn’t exactly great and I provided GP letter.

Anyway... it’s a long road! And everything is working slower.

I hope you get a good judge! It’s all there is to it. Barrister even considered my pay and benefits arguing I indeed do meet the threshold and by my spouse joining me it would not mean I would be relying on any more. The judge did not comment on this and was mentioned in grant to appeal to UT.

You will need to be extremely patient or meet the financial criteria.

If at all manageable, if she can work it’s better.
Hi
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us seems like your case is same. They should have considered your circumstances it's not fair for kids also as they will not be able to enjoy mother/father if he/she at work full time to earn £18600 to sponsor then also be full time mum. I don't know why they not just allow couples to be together and they can then work also and look after kids. Being single parent is just depending on state but if your other half is with you then I think there will be no need to ask for benefits as they can work full time.
I am sorry you been waiting from long time but I hope soon the day will come when all these hardships and struggles will convert into success.

I know how hard it is I know how it feels but the solution will come.
Did you tried to ask someone if your partner can get a job offer letter in UK it can convince the HO or no?
I am also trying to ask experienced persons and will update you once got some information.
Hope we will be successful in reviewing our application and we are so positive as we have solid grounds of appeal. HO in his decision letter accepted that GEN 3.1 and GEN 3.2 applicable in our case but idk still they refused it.

Please keep updating and suggesting I will do same. Thank you

BordersDivide
Egypt

Post by BordersDivide » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi

We provided evidence of job applications, and they agreed that he is skilled to work in the UK. This wasn’t again covered in judges refusal but discussed in the hearing.

Besides, no one really wants to hire anyone from non EU counties. So it’s pointless to show a employment letter, as we can all agree the visa system is rubbish. Even straight forward cases have to wait a long time.

Exactly right on couples working together to meet the threshold. I have made the scarifies to be a good mother and having a bond with my child. Single parent life style is very normal and standard now, but the difference for us is that we are forced to live single but are in fact married.

Some cases have been successful like yours, but I am example of it failing too.

In time inshallah... when it’s not too late.

I hope you succeed quickly.

Muhammad jabbar 1993
Pakistan

Post by Muhammad jabbar 1993 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 am

BordersDivide wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:34 pm
Hi

We provided evidence of job applications, and they agreed that he is skilled to work in the UK. This wasn’t again covered in judges refusal but discussed in the hearing.

Besides, no one really wants to hire anyone from non EU counties. So it’s pointless to show a employment letter, as we can all agree the visa system is rubbish. Even straight forward cases have to wait a long time.

Exactly right on couples working together to meet the threshold. I have made the scarifies to be a good mother and having a bond with my child. Single parent life style is very normal and standard now, but the difference for us is that we are forced to live single but are in fact married.

Some cases have been successful like yours, but I am example of it failing too.

In time inshallah... when it’s not too late.

I hope you succeed quickly.
Hi
Thank you so much for your dua. In sha Allah you guys will find a solution and will be together soon.
Please can you tell us what are the mistakes that we should nod make in our appeal as you have experienced it.
What type of exceptional circumstances HO consider?

In our application we mentioned that my wife have 3 kids and she can't work full time. She can't live with me as she can't leave kids and can't even take them out as biological father have PR.
And is there anyone you know who got success in such cases?
Thank you so much.