ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American citizenship by descent

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anoncanon
Newly Registered

American citizenship by descent

Post by anoncanon » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:15 pm

My husband is a British citizen (age 55), he has recently found his biological father (age 76) who is an American citizen. At the moment we are in the process of changing the father's name on the birth certificate. It has to be done through the court. Once this is completed, will this amended British birth certificate be enough to successfully apply for the American citizenship by descent? Can it be done without involving expensive lawyers?

secret.simon

Re: American citizenship by descent

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:32 am

US nationality law by birth outside the US is quite complex and depends on the period of time that your husband was born.

Have a look at the Wikipedia page on US citizenship through birth abroad to US citizens to get a broad idea of the complexities involved.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anoncanon
Newly Registered

Re: American citizenship by descent

Post by anoncanon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Thank you. It doesn't look good. His parents weren't married at the time of his birth. His father was serving in US Air force and was based in the UK. I was hoping there were special exceptions for servicemen, but probably there was nothing like that.