ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel documents for India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

miranda108
Newly Registered

Travel documents for India

Post by miranda108 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm

Would be very grateful for answers to the following two questions.

1) Can a British national with no OCI get an emergency OCI in order to travel to India?
If so, how do they do this?
I understand visit visas are not available to foreign nationals at the moment.

2) How does an Indian national in the UK (with ILR), whose passport lapsed several years ago, now apply for a new Indian passport? Previously the HCI demanded a certificate from the Home Office to state that you had not acquired British citizenship in the interim. But that guidance does not appear to be there on the HCI website now. Does the HCI now do the checks directly with the Home Office or do they no longer bother about this?

secret.simon

Re: Travel documents for India

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 am

The Indian evisa website has this FAQ which suggests that even OCI-holders from the EU and the UK can't travel to India.
Are OCI Card holders allowed?

No. OCI Card holders are required to obtain fresh Indian visa from Mission/Post and allowed in India except from restricted countries.

Restricted Countries
All passengers coming from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland,
Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia,
Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom effective 12.00 GMT on March 18,2020 (Port of Departure) and passengers coming from Philippines, Malaysia and Afghanistan effective 15.00 IST on March 17,2020 (Port of Departure).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

xebec
Australia

Re: Travel documents for India

Post by xebec » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:03 pm

miranda108 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm
1) Can a British national with no OCI get an emergency OCI in order to travel to India?
If so, how do they do this?
I understand visit visas are not available to foreign nationals at the moment.
There is no such thing as an emergency OCI. All OCI applications need to be security cleared through the normal process.
miranda108 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm
2) How does an Indian national in the UK (with ILR), whose passport lapsed several years ago, now apply for a new Indian passport? Previously the HCI demanded a certificate from the Home Office to state that you had not acquired British citizenship in the interim. But that guidance does not appear to be there on the HCI website now. Does the HCI now do the checks directly with the Home Office or do they no longer bother about this?
You might have to come up with an affidavit to say why you did not renew your passport. The HCI would not be able to check with the Home Office directly due to privacy laws. Best to come up with the certificate - it will save you the hassle.