ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

baybars1

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by baybars1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:12 pm

024601 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:35 pm
It's certainly worrying that they keep saying they want to impose a second national lockdown :( If that happens the first thing to go would be the citizenship ceremonies again! I really hope if this happens again, the HO and the local councils allow people to just receive their certificates in the mail without having the ceremony.

I can appreciate the ceremony is important etc but in these unprecedented times, everyone needs to be flexible and rules may need to be changed! Or why not make ALL councils impose online ceremonies. I asked my council if they will have online ceremonies, and after chasing for a response 5 times, I got a very blunt one liner saying "We don't have the facility or the funds for such ceremonies".
I very much doubt that the Government would impose a blanket ban on any "non-essential" activity yet again, simply because it is way too restrictive, ruinously expensive and it also affected mental health of the population. Therefore, I think they are going to be smarter about it, whatever the case count. Closing pubs may be bad for the economy, but these have proven to be spreader venues, so they might crack down on these types of establishments more widely. Citizenship ceremonies aren't that much of a risk if people wear masks and socially distance. Therefore, I doubt that citizenship ceremonies will be put on hold across the board. The greater risk, I would say, is if there be an outbreak at the local council office because one of the infected employees passes the virus around. They could shut that building for a couple of weeks.
Last edited by baybars1 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 pm

Chuga wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 pm
Thanks baybars1, much appreciated
You are most welcome and good luck!

Mantis_87
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Mantis_87 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread since I got approved in mid August. I have found everyone´s comments to be very useful and I wish everyone luck for their ceremonies.
I read about another user changing their address during this process and it confused me. I am planning on redirecting my mail (royal mail) to my new address but was wondering if I had to change my ceremony council as well?
My current council, Brighton & Hove is only holding individual ceremonies and most likely will not do them online and they have a huge backlog. I am moving to London, where I have heard many people do online ceremonies.
I need some advise about whether I must change the council (because I´m moving) and if it would be a good idea to change? I know asking to change can complicate things but I don´t actually know the process and timeframes associated with it.

N.B I don´t mind travelling back to Brighton & Hove for the ceremony.

Thank you.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:39 am

Manchester Council received certificates last week but they wouldn’t let me know for which dates. They just said “varied dates” so I’m assuming they will be end of June and July in 2-3 weeks?

I sent my details like they asked and will see if they have my certificate for beginning of July Approval.

jayzone1
Newly Registered
Swaziland

Post by jayzone1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 am

Keep us posted I also approved 1st week of July. I’ve gotten tired of checking up with my local council, Southend on sea council. They even now know my voice 😀

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 am

MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:39 am
Manchester Council received certificates last week but they wouldn’t let me know for which dates. They just said “varied dates” so I’m assuming they will be end of June and July in 2-3 weeks?

I sent my details like they asked and will see if they have my certificate for beginning of July Approval.
Also, once you ave received your ceremony invitation letter, please share the date written on it here, if that is all right with you. Thanks.

xbel
Newly Registered

Post by xbel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Anyone that has attended Citizenship Ceremony in Lambeth or know about this...

The confirmation email definitely has a glitch, it didn't state the TIME.

My ceremony is tomorrow, I remember booked the 11am. (the earlier one)

But I just need a sanity check... to see if it's indeed 11am (normally what time it is for ceremony!)

I've tried calling and not able to speak with a human. The operator looped me into infinite robot given me option and tell me good bye eventually, not answering any question.

Can anyone please help or I need to personally go there to confirm, can't afford to miss this.

Tirinti
Mood:

Post by Tirinti » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am

Mantis_87 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am
Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread since I got approved in mid August. I have found everyone´s comments to be very useful and I wish everyone luck for their ceremonies.
I read about another user changing their address during this process and it confused me. I am planning on redirecting my mail (royal mail) to my new address but was wondering if I had to change my ceremony council as well?
My current council, Brighton & Hove is only holding individual ceremonies and most likely will not do them online and they have a huge backlog. I am moving to London, where I have heard many people do online ceremonies.
I need some advise about whether I must change the council (because I´m moving) and if it would be a good idea to change? I know asking to change can complicate things but I don´t actually know the process and timeframes associated with it.

Thank you.
You don't have to change your ceremony council. Actually from what I've read here, people who asked to change, were ignored.
Each London Borough has its own council and its own way of doing ceremonies. Only a few of them doing online ceremonies.
Based on the baybars1's model, mid of August approved will be processed in the next two weeks so probably it is a bit late to do any changes anyway.
Mail redirection is important so make sure it is set up. I hope you are moving to part of London close to Southern or Thameslink station as from some parts of London getting to the right station takes longer than trip from London Bridge to Brighton. Good luck.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 am

baybars1 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 am
MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:39 am

Also, once you ave received your ceremony invitation letter, please share the date written on it here, if that is all right with you. Thanks.

Yea of course! According to your timeline I should get the letter by 24/26 October. Approved 6july.

Thanks

Mantis_87
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Mantis_87 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 am

Tirinti wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Mantis_87 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
You don't have to change your ceremony council. Actually from what I've read here, people who asked to change, were ignored.
Each London Borough has its own council and its own way of doing ceremonies. Only a few of them doing online ceremonies.
Based on the baybars1's model, mid of August approved will be processed in the next two weeks so probably it is a bit late to do any changes anyway.
Mail redirection is important so make sure it is set up. I hope you are moving to part of London close to Southern or Thameslink station as from some parts of London getting to the right station takes longer than trip from London Bridge to Brighton. Good luck.
Thanks for your response Tirinti.
I will certainly not be changing anything if I am not required to. I don´t want to prolong this process further. Luckily I'm not moving too far, so I can easily commute.

Thank you again.

TheTraveller
- thin ice -

Post by TheTraveller » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am

Good morning beautiful people - Is there anyone here approved in July 2020?

Gonzo14
Newly Registered

Post by Gonzo14 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:09 am

TheTraveller wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am
Good morning beautiful people - Is there anyone here approved in July 2020?
Yes I was approved 24 July so just patiently waiting hopefully will receive my invitation letter soon

FreshFromTheGrave
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FreshFromTheGrave » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 am

And got my ceremony booked with Brent council! 11th November was the earliest. So all in all that's:

16th June approval.
23rd September - date on invitation letter (actual arrival 9th October)
11th November - Ceremony

OMG I'M ALMOST DONE YOU GUYS.

Sochi08
Newly Registered

Post by Sochi08 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 am

Runner12345 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Sochi08 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:22 pm
Runner12345 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:31 am
Sochi08 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:34 am

Oh wow congrats!!! Happy for you it gives me hope since we got approved same date and same council 😁 will update when I do receive mine, expecting it today or Monday as per the model. Do you think group ceremony wait is longer? Wondering why you chose zoom ceremony.
I just want to get it done, as I applied mid-February already. The Zoom ceremony is super quick, they say 10-15min, so I also do not have to take time off work. I have asked if a friend of mine can dial into it as my virtual guest. They responded within 2h offering me a slot for Wednesday. The group ceremony is a different contact person, so not sure how frequently they are doing those.
Thanks for the response really appreciate it! Have a great ceremony 😁
Thank you! I hope you receive your letter tomorrow! Just to add: you are not allowed to forward the link, so you cannot have guest dialing in from elsewhere. Also thanks to baybars1 from me, for helping us get some comfort on anticipated timelines!

Finally!!! I got the Almighty invitation Letter🥳
Got the invite this morning dated 22/9/2020
The model is really spot on was expecting it on the 10/10 and 12/10 and it came 👏 now waiting for Southwark to respond to my email. Thanks to everyone on this forum and good luck to all still waiting hopefully it wouldn’t be long anymore 🙏

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm

I emailed Manchester council now and they replied asking me if I have got my ceremony invite which I replied that I haven't got it.

Their response to this email suggest to me that they might have received it because in the past weeks when I send them mails, they just reply and say they have no certificate for me.

So just waiting for them to confirm if they have my certificate. Who knows ! I might be lucky they have it....

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm
I emailed Manchester council now and they replied asking me if I have got my ceremony invite which I replied that I haven't got it.

Their response to this email suggest to me that they might have received it because in the past weeks when I send them mails, they just reply and say they have no certificate for me.

So just waiting for them to confirm if they have my certificate. Who knows ! I might be lucky they have it....
When was your approval if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ve emailed over my details to them so let’s wait and see!!

axeman85
Ghana

Post by axeman85 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm

MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:18 pm
axeman85 wrote:

Well they replied saying they haven't got mine certificate and said it was interesting to know some council do ceremony without the invite..

So I asked when was the last time they got certificate, how often are they getting them, and what dates were the ones they got last

As I said I jusy wanted to try my luck. My approval was 31st July... so I know still got a few weeks wait.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:58 pm

axeman85 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm
MannyWarrior wrote:
axeman85 wrote:

Well they replied saying they haven't got mine certificate and said it was interesting to know some council do ceremony without the invite..

So I asked when was the last time they got certificate, how often are they getting them, and what dates were the ones they got last

As I said I jusy wanted to try my luck. My approval was 31st July... so I know still got a few weeks wait.
They’re being very weird tbh.

I sent them my details and she said

It is only once you have the Home Office invitation letter , that we receive a certificate.

And they still wouldn’t let me know which approval dates they’ve gotten.

I give up

Greatness1
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Greatness1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:22 pm

@baybars1, I want to echo the sentiments of other members, your model works.
And I should add, anyone waiting for responses from Home Office and council should have some peace of mind if they follow this model.

These are my details:
Applied just before lockdown in March

Biometric - 05/06/2020
Approval Email - 15/06/2020
Approval letter date - 22/09/2020
Approval letter arrival date - 12/10/2020
Ceremony booked date (group ceremony) - 14/10/2020
Council - Hertfordshire Council.

Thank you to everyone whose contribution helped to calm others during this process.

My prayer is that everyone who's waiting will get a positive response, and quickly.

I want to give a should out to all the administrators of this platform.
My family have benefited greatly from your excellent work.

MannyWarrior
Mood:

Post by MannyWarrior » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm

MannyWarrior wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:58 pm
axeman85 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:29 pm
MannyWarrior wrote:
axeman85 wrote:

They’re being very weird tbh.

I sent them my details and she said

It is only once you have the Home Office invitation letter , that we receive a certificate.

And they still wouldn’t let me know which approval dates they’ve gotten.

I give up

Finally i got this...

We received a batch last week for decisions made May/June.

We suspect the next batch we receive will be for the decisions for the end of June and beginning of July. However we cannot be sure when we will receive this batch.

N1234

Post by N1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Zigzag1100 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 pm
N1234 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Zigzag1100 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:35 pm
N1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:52 pm

Do you have your ceremony booked ?
@N1234 I bet you missed the message that I sent about we seeing on the same ceremony date. Sorry to respond late. We are on same date and hopefully we get it done. What I don’t know if it would be the same time??
I believe they only do 1 session at time right?. Mine is at 1. Also according to the news, any restrictions will be introduced on Monday and it won’t be implemented till Wednesday. Hopefully nothing crazy happens. This is the first time I wanted the weekend to end lol
If yours is at 1, it is not 1 session a day then. I think they are conducting more than once a day. Also I can’t wait for the weekend to be over either.
Fair enough. Good thing they are doing more than one.

Thank god Nottingham is in only tier 2 lockdown... T-mins 20 hours

sevka
Newly Registered

Post by sevka » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:26 pm

Dear all,

Many thanks for all the helpful information here. I've been following this particular topic for some time now!

My invitation just arrived today, but not my wife's. We're hoping that'll be tomorrow.

My question is: "name at birth" line under Certificate details is empty on my invitation letter. Is that the same for you? Should I assume this means that I have the same name at birth (which is the case) or should that field have the same value with my Full name (the line above that).

It would be great if you could share if that line is empty in your invitation letters as well.

By the way: my approval letter was dated 11/06 and my invitation is dated 23/09

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience and keeping everybody up to date!

N1234

Post by N1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:39 pm

sevka wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:26 pm
Dear all,

Many thanks for all the helpful information here. I've been following this particular topic for some time now!

My invitation just arrived today, but not my wife's. We're hoping that'll be tomorrow.

My question is: "name at birth" line under Certificate details is empty on my invitation letter. Is that the same for you? Should I assume this means that I have the same name at birth (which is the case) or should that field have the same value with my Full name (the line above that).

It would be great if you could share if that line is empty in your invitation letters as well.

Once again, thanks for sharing your experience and keeping everybody up to date!

The line is empty on mine aswell.

sevka
Newly Registered

Post by sevka » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm

N1234 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:39 pm
sevka wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks a lot. I did a search in board archives, using the word blank instead of empty, which returned more results :) It appears it is blank (empty!) in this case. Once again, many thanks for your prompt response.

baybars1

Post by baybars1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:09 pm

sevka wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:46 pm
N1234 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:39 pm
sevka wrote:
Dear all,

Thanks a lot. I did a search in board archives, using the word blank instead of empty, which returned more results :) It appears it is blank (empty!) in this case. Once again, many thanks for your prompt response.
I just checked my "Citizenship Invitation" letter (received ten years ago) and the name at birth was blank as well, most probably because my name has not changed. Just looked at the reference number and it started with 10. They've naturalised/registered more than a million people since then. What a treasure trove that would be for the model! :wink: