ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about English Requirement Question under Personal Information.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

donblount

Questions about cohabitation documents for ILR (partner route).

Post by donblount » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:57 am

I came to UK as a Tier 1 visa holder, got married when I was on ILR. A year later I became British Citizen

I am planning to apply for the ILR for my wife. Is SET(O) or SET(M) right form to use. The website is bit confusing.

When the choose the following answers the home office directs me to the SET(O) application.

1. What's your situation?	
        You're the family member or partner of a British citizen	

2. Did your family member or partner settle before 
        they became a British citizen?	
        Yes	

3. How did they settle?	
        On a work visa	

4. What type of work visa did they settle with?
        A tier 1, tier 2 or tier 5 visa

However when I progress to the next page, it gives the following warning.

If you are the spouse or partner of someone who is settled and currently living in the UK and you have completed the relevant period of continuous leave in the UK using the 'Family Route', you cannot use this form. You must instead apply using the form Apply to settle in the UK - Partner of a person or parent of a child already settled in the UK.

Clicking on the link takes me to SET(M) application.

Quite confused, which one should I use SET(M) or SET(O)?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Partner of British Citizen who was formerly a Tier 1 visa holder, Should I use SET(O) or (M)?

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:21 am

If your wife started off on or switched to a spouse visa it will be SET(M).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Partner of British Citizen who was formerly a Tier 1 visa holder, Should I use SET(O) or (M)?

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:22 am

Your spouse can only apply for ILR on form SET(M) because she got her visa AFTER you received ILR.

SET(O) form is ONLY for those on a Points Based System dependent visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

donblount

Post by donblount » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

That makes sense, but then why does the questionnaire on the home office website lead to SET(O) application? Is my answer to any of the questions above incorrect?

donblount

Post by donblount » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:15 pm

This is the link to home office questionnaire.

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm

What visa your wife currently holds?
What visa she applied for initially to come to UK?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Eligibility for partners
Your current visa must be as a dependant on your partner’s tier 1, 2 or 5 visa.

If you got your current visa as your partner’s dependant after they settled in the UK, you must apply as the partner of a settled person instead.
Did she switch in the UK to be your PBS dependant?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

donblount

Post by donblount » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:38 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:11 pm
What visa your wife currently holds?
What visa she applied for initially to come to UK?
She came on a marriage visa when I was on ILR, converted to a spouse visa after marriage. I got citizenship about a year later

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:39 pm

SET(M) as CR001 already mentioned.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

donblount

Filled in online application before qualification date. Does it matter?

Post by donblount » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:56 pm

Does it matter if I fill in the ILR application before the day I qualify for ILR, but submit and pay the fee only after the date on which I meet the qualification period for applying for ILR?

Rambo_ILR
India

Re: Filled in online application before qualification date. Does it matter?

Post by Rambo_ILR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:01 pm

No, don't worry. You are just filling the form. Once you submit the application and make the payment. Then that's your actual application date. All (date and time of application) will be in the first page of your online application form (PDF)

donblount

Are documents uploaded online or mailed for SET(M) ILR application?

Post by donblount » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:40 am

How are the documents submitted? Do I scan and upload them or do I have to mail the documents to home office at the end of the ILR application?

I understand for some of the visa applications documents are uploaded. I was wondering if this is the same for ILR applications.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Are documents uploaded online or mailed for SET(M) ILR application?

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:49 am

Scanned and uploaded.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Are documents uploaded online or mailed for SET(M) ILR application?

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 am

Uploaded on the UKVCAS system after you submit your application
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

donblount

Can one submit ILR application before eligibility date as the application is anyway taking 4-6 months to process?

Post by donblount » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:05 am

Normally you can submit the ILR application 28 days before the 5 year anniversary of your visa. Even if you submit it earlier, lets say 2 months earlier, it would be well past 5 year anniversary before which home office would review the application. Would they reject the application because it was submitted before the eligibility date?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: Can one submit ILR application before eligibility date as the application is anyway taking 4-6 months to process?

Post by bruteforce » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am

Yes. The date of application is what counts, doesn't matter how long it takes to process application.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Can one submit ILR application before eligibility date as the application is anyway taking 4-6 months to process?

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:15 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:48 am
Yes. The date of application is what counts, doesn't matter how long it takes to process application.
The OP wants to know if one can submit an application before one qualifies.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Op's question was "would they reject the application". The answer given is YES

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:37 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Op's question was "would they reject the application". The answer given is YES
Not necessarily. If the decision is made on the date OP actually qualifies then NO (even if an application is made before time). But obviously its not advisable but it is possible.
Calculating the specified continuous period
Applicants can submit a settlement application up to 28 days before they would reach the end of the specified period.
You must calculate the relevant qualifying period by counting backward from whichever of the following is most beneficial to the applicant:
• the date of application
the date of decision
• any date up to 28 days after the date of application
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf
Last edited by CULLINAN on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Thats incorrect IMO. Unless there are some changes in rules which I am not aware of.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm
Thats incorrect IMO. Unless there are some changes in rules which I am not aware of.
Well check the guidance.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:53 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm
You are incorrect and causing confusion. The rules have not changed at all :!: The date of the decision will be used if it favours the applicant. This is supported as per Section 3C
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

donblount

Post by donblount » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks. I think I will wait till the qualification date before submitting.

donblount

Questions about cohabitation documents for ILR (partner route).

Post by donblount » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:41 pm

1. Can one use online bank and utility statements or does it need to be scanned copies of mailed statements.

2. How many sources should the mail be from. Can multiple statements from one utility and bank covering the period suffice?

3. Is 2.5 years before application the right period to supply the documents for if applying a partner of UK citizen ( 5 year route)

donblount

How long does one have to upload the documents online after submitting the ILR (partner) application?

Post by donblount » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm

How long does one have to upload the documents online after submitting the ILR (partner) application?

Can one keep uploading new documents or should all documents be uploaded by certain date ( 24 hours / 7 days etc) after submitting the application?