ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Settlement Scheme Application after being granted EUSS Family Permit (NOT EAA FAMILY PERMIT!)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

AFR-_-
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

EU Settlement Scheme Application after being granted EUSS Family Permit (NOT EAA FAMILY PERMIT!)

Post by AFR-_- » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Hello all, I have some important/confusing questions regarding the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) that gives you either Pre-Settled status or Settled Status.

Some important case specific facts;
1) I am talking about applying for the EUSS after being granted the EUSS Family Permit (EUSSFP), NOT EAA FAMILY PERMIT.
2) I am a non EAA citizen (Pakistani). My passport (Pakistani) does not have any biometric chip. I don't have any BRP/BRC nor any UK Residence doc yet, except my EUSSFP.
3) My EAA Citizen wife (French) who is in the UK, has applied for and received her EUSS Pre-Settled Status (limited leave to remain) already.
4) I have recently applied for the EUSSFP, a decision has been made already and I am just waiting for my passport to join my wife in the UK. Assuming that I do get it approved and I go ahead to the UK to join my wife:-

a) I heard that to be able to apply for the EUSS, I need to use a BRP/BRC to apply for the EUSS via the App.
I don't have any BRP/BRC, does that mean that I will have to apply / I should apply the EUSS on paper Application or apply a BRP/BRC first? With the delays and uncertainty of HO's processes, I am afraid that I might just end up having my EUSSFP expired even before I get the EUSS status. Will I be kicked out in this case because of no status? Or my Certificate of Application (COA - from the EUSS) let's me stay in the UK and allows me to continue enjoying the rights which my wife enjoys while I wait for a decision on my EUSS?

b) I am planning to join my wife in the UK and start my career there. The moment I apply for the EUSS, I am afraid that it will be delayed as usual, and I will not be able to work with my EUSS Family Permit. Is it a good idea to apply for the BRP/BRC in this case first and after I receive the same, to only then apply the EUSS?

c) I saw somewhere something mentioned about EUSS BRP, what is this and does it help in my case in applying for the EUSS?

d) what about the thing where BRP/BRC are set to expire on 31/12/2020? Won't I be stuck with an expired BRP/BRC to use to to apply for the EUSS?

I would highly appreciate your kind responses to my queries above. I would also be very happy if someone who has applied for the EUSS after being granted the EUSSFP can put their experience here. Many thanks!

kamoe

Re: EU Settlement Scheme Application after being granted EUSS Family Permit (NOT EAA FAMILY PERMIT!)

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am

AFR-_- wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm
a) I heard that to be able to apply for the EUSS, I need to use a BRP/BRC to apply for the EUSS via the App.
That's incorrect. The app is only one way of applying, but you don't have to apply via the app.
I don't have any BRP/BRC, does that mean that I will have to apply / I should apply the EUSS on paper Application or apply a BRP/BRC first?
Next steps for you are:

1. Come to the Uk on your Family Permit
2. Once in the UK, apply for Pre-Settled Status with online+post option
3. As the result of this application you will receive a EUSS BRP/BRC

So answer to your question is no, you do not need to apply for a BRC to apply for the EUSS. Applying to the EUSS will in itself issue you with a EUSS BRC permit you can then use to prove right of residence, live and work.
With the delays and uncertainty of HO's processes, I am afraid that I might just end up having my EUSSFP expired even before I get the EUSS status.
When are you planning to come to the UK? Keep in mind you cannot usually apply for Settled status outside of the UK.
Will I be kicked out in this case because of no status? Or my Certificate of Application (COA - from the EUSS) let's me stay in the UK and allows me to continue enjoying the rights which my wife enjoys while I wait for a decision on my EUSS?
I would be surprised if this was the case. With covid-19, many people have seen their applications delayed. In line with what have been 2020 practices, it is likely that EUSS permits see their validity automatically extended. But that's just my guess.
Is it a good idea to apply for the BRP/BRC in this case first and after I receive the same, to only then apply the EUSS?
Timelines for EEA BRC indicate queues of 6-7 months, so no, those applications do not offer any advantage.
c) I saw somewhere something mentioned about EUSS BRP, what is this and does it help in my case in applying for the EUSS?
As explained above. EUSS BRC is the card you receive when you receive Pre-Settled or Settled Status.
d) what about the thing where BRP/BRC are set to expire on 31/12/2020? Won't I be stuck with an expired BRP/BRC to use to to apply for the EUSS?
As said above, in what concerns you, the main thing regarding EEA BRC is that they take 6-7 months to be issued.
They do expire in Dec 2020, but really, at this point that is completely irrelevant for you.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

AFR-_-
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: EU Settlement Scheme Application after being granted EUSS Family Permit (NOT EAA FAMILY PERMIT!)

Post by AFR-_- » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm

kamoe wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am
AFR-_- wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm
That's incorrect. The app is only one way of applying, but you don't have to apply via the app.
I don't have any BRP/BRC, does that mean that I will have to apply / I should apply the EUSS on paper Application or apply a BRP/BRC first?
Next steps for you are:

1. Come to the Uk on your Family Permit
2. Once in the UK, apply for Pre-Settled Status with online+post option
3. As the result of this application you will receive a EUSS BRP/BRC

So answer to your question is no, you do not need to apply for a BRC to apply for the EUSS. Applying to the EUSS will in itself issue you with a EUSS BRC permit you can then use to prove right of residence, live and work.
With the delays and uncertainty of HO's processes, I am afraid that I might just end up having my EUSSFP expired even before I get the EUSS status.
When are you planning to come to the UK? Keep in mind you cannot usually apply for Settled status outside of the UK.
Will I be kicked out in this case because of no status? Or my Certificate of Application (COA - from the EUSS) let's me stay in the UK and allows me to continue enjoying the rights which my wife enjoys while I wait for a decision on my EUSS?
I would be surprised if this was the case. With covid-19, many people have seen their applications delayed. In line with what have been 2020 practices, it is likely that EUSS permits see their validity automatically extended. But that's just my guess.
Is it a good idea to apply for the BRP/BRC in this case first and after I receive the same, to only then apply the EUSS?
Timelines for EEA BRC indicate queues of 6-7 months, so no, those applications do not offer any advantage.
As explained above. EUSS BRC is the card you receive when you receive Pre-Settled or Settled Status.
As said above, in what concerns you, the main thing regarding EEA BRC is that they take 6-7 months to be issued.
They do expire in Dec 2020, but really, at this point that is completely irrelevant for you.

Thank you Kamoe, you have solved all of my biggest worries. My biggest concern was about the BRP/BRC while applying for the EUSS. I will apply for the EUSS directly when I am in the UK and then receive my EUSS BRP/BRC then.

By the way, I will be applying and hopefully getting the Pre-Settled Status (not Settled Status), since my wife has just recently moved to the UK and got her 'Pre-Settled Status' and I have yet to arrive in the UK with my EUSS Family Permit.

1) Will I get the EUSS BRP or the EUSS BRC? My wife is a French National, who has just Pre-Settled Status. I am a Non-EU National who has yet to arrive in the UK. How do I know which one applies to me?

2) You said the App is only one way of applying for the EUSS. There are other ways too? What are they? My understanding is that there is a Paper Application method where I will have to give biometrics. I heard they also reuse biometrics? And then there's this 'IDV App' ?

3) I plan to arrive in the UK right away after I receive my passport. I am just waiting for my passport. I emailed the UKVI Paid Enquiry Service on 9 Oct 2020 and got a response that a decision has been made and that my VAC will contact me to pick up my passport, but I have received no further response from anyone yet. Today is the 5th Week since my Application date. Any idea on how to/who to push further?

4) My last question is what about NIN? My understanding is that I will have to apply NIN manually for it to show on the EUSS BRP/BRC. What about that?

Thank you once again Kamoe, you're a life saver!

Best regards,
AFR

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:12 pm

AFR-_- wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm
1) Will I get the EUSS BRP or the EUSS BRC? My wife is a French National, who has just Pre-Settled Status. I am a Non-EU National who has yet to arrive in the UK. How do I know which one applies to me?
There is just one type of EUSS biometric card. You are making up a differentiation that does not exist.

I am not sure what the best acronym for it is, BRC or BRP, I suppose it hangs on whether it is considered a Card (BRC) or a Permit (BRP). Thing is, it's a residence permit in the form of a card, which happens to be biometric, so in theory it could be called either. Again, no difference whatsoever, it's only one EUSS card for everyone, EU national or not. Having Pre-Settled or Settled status does not make the name of the card different either.

The confusion arises because outside of the EUSS, a BRC = family members of EEA nationals; while BRP = all other Tier routes. Hence why outside of the context of the EUSS the difference is important. Not for EUSS cards.
2) You said the App is only one way of applying for the EUSS. There are other ways too? What are they? My understanding is that there is a Paper Application method where I will have to give biometrics.
There are two/three options:

App = For people with BRP or BRC, all electronic, no biometrics, no new card issued.
Online+post = For people with no BRP or BRC, online form, biometrics appointment, documents by post/scanned, new card issued
Paper-based application = For people applying under specific exceptions (Lounes, etc.). Not available online, have to call to request form.
I heard they also reuse biometrics?
I don't think so... As far as I understand, any new card requires new biometrics.

If someone apples with the app, it means they already have a biometric card, and in that case they simply don't issue them with a new card, since they can keep using their old one... but when that biometric card expires (Dec 31st), they do have to apply to replace it, and in that case, they need to go an do biometrics. So, no, it's not "reuse of biometrics", it's "delaying of new biometrics". Or at least that's what I understand.
And then there's this 'IDV App' ?
Have not heard of that, cannot comment.
3) I plan to arrive in the UK right away after I receive my passport. I am just waiting for my passport. I emailed the UKVI Paid Enquiry Service on 9 Oct 2020 and got a response that a decision has been made and that my VAC will contact me to pick up my passport, but I have received no further response from anyone yet. Today is the 5th Week since my Application date. Any idea on how to/who to push further?
Nope, sorry.
4) My last question is what about NIN? My understanding is that I will have to apply NIN manually for it to show on the EUSS BRP/BRC. What about that?
You will have to apply for a NINO number once in the UK to be able to work. Preferable before you apply for Pre-Settled Status, but I believe you can apply for Pre-Settled status without one. The website will tell you.

Now, It's your NINO record that will mainly proof continuous residence when the moment comes for you to apply for Settled Status in 5 years' time, so it will be important to prove your status, come the time.

Not sure why you mean with "for it to show on the EUSS BRP/BRC".
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

AFR-_-
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by AFR-_- » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I understand it much better now thanks to you Kamoe. You have clarified all of the above parts. I will post here of any further updates if there are any. :D