ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship application - Travel from EU to UK post 31st December 2020

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

djgrubber
Newly Registered
Poland

British citizenship application - Travel from EU to UK post 31st December 2020

Post by djgrubber » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi All,

I am an EU national and I have been working full time in the UK since 2013 without any breaks. I have obtained permanent residence card in 2018 without any problems and I have continued working full time since then as well. I have a UK degree and I am an owner for 2 properties in the UK. I am going to sit life in the UK test in November and once I get a result I intend to apply for a British citizenship. Hopefully it will be straightforward case.

I am aware that my permanent residency card is valid until 31st December 2020. I don't intend to apply for the settled status. I prefer to use my permanent residency card to apply for the British passport.

On 25th December 2020 I plan to make a trip to France and come back to the UK on 4th January 2021. I will travel by car with a group of friends. I was wondering if I should expect any problems on my return to the UK?? On GOV website I read that EU citizens will be able to enter UK without any VISA etc. post 31st December 2020

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-th ... ter-brexit

Should I be worried and expect problems at the border or it should be fine? I am just concious that my permanent residence card won't be valid in January and I won't have settled status. Another worry is whether this travel could jeopardize my citizenship application in any way?

Many thanks for all advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British citizenship application - Travel from EU to UK post 31st December 2020

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:04 pm

Difficult to know what border controls will look like on 4.Jan. Clearly under the new rules you could just enter the UK as a tourist without visa. Nevertheless I would take with me copies of documents which prove you have PR and applied for naturalisation, in case there are questions. Your naturalisation should not be impacted by the changing situation as it is based on your past residency.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.