ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Nodrick » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 am

Nodrick wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:58 pm
Seems my timeline is going above and beyond.......

Application submitted online: 15 May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documents (Balbriggan): 29 May 2019
Confirmation of address email: Pending
Date added to FBR: Pending
Congrats email: Pending
FBR certificate received: Pending

Hoping to hear any day now, but looks a longer timeline than other post covid approvals........
Still waiting…………..
505 Days since acknowledgement of receipt of documents – I believe this may be a record on the board!
Spoke on web chat to be told they are processing May 2019 applications and that they couldn’t give a specific time on how long it would take. Other than that I’ve heard nothing, I assumed mine would be simple and no word on any problems.
Seems its now behind some of those already being dealt with which were submitted later.
If I have any word from them I will update.

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am

Nodrick wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:31 am
Nodrick wrote:

Hoping to hear any day now, but looks a longer timeline than other post covid approvals........
Still waiting…………..
505 Days since acknowledgement of receipt of documents – I believe this may be a record on the board!
Spoke on web chat to be told they are processing May 2019 applications and that they couldn’t give a specific time on how long it would take. Other than that I’ve heard nothing, I assumed mine would be simple and no word on any problems.
Seems its now behind some of those already being dealt with which were submitted later.
I’m in the same boat, not heard a dickie bird, my docs arrived on 4th June.
Surprised to see applications received after that sailing through.
Like you, not heard anything and my whiteness has not been contacted either?
I will cross my fingers for you . . .

obrienlj
Newly Registered
Dominican Republic

Post by obrienlj » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 am

Been a long time since I’ve been on here but wanted to post an update. (Month/day/year)
07/20/19 online application submitted
08/09/19 documents arrived in Balbriggan
10/15/20 e-mail received from dfa asking to confirm address.
Pending - certificate
Pending - passport.

serenitybyjan2
Newly Registered

Post by serenitybyjan2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Doddyod wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am
Nodrick wrote:
Nodrick wrote:

Still waiting…………..

If it’s any consolation, my witness was never contacted and I was added on at the end of last month!

Pb300
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pb300 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm

I’m disappointed to hear there are still May and June 2019 folks that have not heard anything. My documents were received mid June 2019 also, so I was beginning to get very concerned. Now at least I know I’m not alone. The official 12 -18 month wait is starting to look more like 16+. I am worried that the estimated wait time will soon be revised to 18-24 months, especially with more lock downs in Europe on the horizon. Thanks to all posters for updates. It really helps me from getting too discouraged.

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Hello all,

Im curious about the witnesses for the FBR application.
Are witnesses actually contacted? For those that have had completed the FBR process - if witnesses have been contacted what was the nature of the correspondence?

It's one part of my application that makes me slightly nervous as I was having a hard time finding a witness and ended up asking my pharmacist. She doesnt know me per se but I have been getting medication from her pharmacy for 3 years and have a record in their system and she was willing to witness and sign my documents.

Thanks!

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm

serenitybyjan2 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm
Doddyod wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am
Nodrick wrote:
Nodrick wrote:

Still waiting…………..

If it’s any consolation, my witness was never contacted and I was added on at the end of last month!
Ah this is good information I didnt see before posting!

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Mandino55 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Hello all,

Are witnesses actually contacted? For those that have had completed the FBR process - if witnesses have been contacted what was the nature of the correspondence?

It's one part of my application that makes me slightly nervous as I was having a hard time finding a witness and ended up asking my pharmacist. She doesnt know me per se but I have been getting medication from her pharmacy for 3 years and have a record in their system and she was willing to witness and sign my documents.

Thanks!
My witness was never contacted and I received my certificate last month. They only contact witnesses for the passport application as far as I'm aware. Maybe they do the odd spot check or something.

Mandino55
Canada

Post by Mandino55 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 pm

jamiepompey wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:20 pm
Mandino55 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:17 pm
Hello all,

Thanks!
My witness was never contacted and I received my certificate last month. They only contact witnesses for the passport application as far as I'm aware. Maybe they do the odd spot check or something.
Great! thanks for the info

esethree
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by esethree » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:18 pm

Application submitted online: 7 August 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 14 August 2019
Confirmation of address email: 15 October 2020

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 pm

esethree wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:18 pm
Application submitted online: 7 August 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 14 August 2019
Congrats to you!!! Strange that an August submittal ahead of many other June people. No idea how things are done in that officein Ireland but glad when anyone else makes it!
jgclancy

Pb300
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Pb300 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Wow, that is strange. It is starting to seem like they pulled the June -September batch and randomly select from that pile. But good for you!

ct101
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by ct101 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Finally received some good news!

Application submitted online: 9 July 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 18 July 2019

I'm just wondering if anyone has applied for a passport from Canada recently? It's disappointing to learn that I can't apply for the passport online and estimated timelines for paper applications appear to be much longer than online applications. If anyone has applied from Canada recently it would be great if I could get an approximate wait time! Thanks so much everyone and good luck.

Berthalily18
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Berthalily18 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi. Would it be correct to say it's far better to go the Late Registration route rather than submit grandparents birth certificates that you think/hope are.correct, bearing in mind that although the Irish authorities are well aware that discrepancies exist on records, it will nevertheless cause problems if the DOB shown on a birth certificate is different to the exact DOB shown on that person's death certificate? I'm not at all sure how they view errors in birth dates that exist through no fault of our own. Many thanks.

jamiepompey
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jamiepompey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Berthalily18 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm
Hi. Would it be correct to say it's far better to go the Late Registration route rather than submit grandparents birth certificates that you think/hope are.correct, bearing in mind that although the Irish authorities are well aware that discrepancies exist on records, it will nevertheless cause problems if the DOB shown on a birth certificate is different to the exact DOB shown on that person's death certificate? I'm not at all sure how they view errors in birth dates that exist through no fault of our own. Many thanks.
My grandmother lied about her age when she got married so her listed age was different from that on her birth certificate. My birth was registered without incident. Irregularities are common. I think so long as the body of documents you submit as a whole are broadly similar there shouldn't be too many problems. Having said that I'm no expert!

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:14 pm

[duplicate post]
Last edited by BrexitEscapee on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Berthalily18 wrote:
To do a late registration, one of the things you have to do is get the GRO to do a records search for your grandparent's birth registry entry (using all the details you've got) and then produce an official certificate to say nothing was found. In your case, they'll just find that your grandparent's birth was registered, and you won't be able to go any further. So you've got no option - you have to proceed with the birth certificate as it stands. There are lots of examples on this forum of people who've successfully applied with all sorts of discrepancies in the documentation - the Irish authorities are well aware that official records contained inaccuracies at the time of our grandparents' births because literacy was generally low and record-keeping wasn't precise.

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm

[duplicate post]

EmmaKate
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by EmmaKate » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 am

Pb300 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm
I’m disappointed to hear there are still May and June 2019 folks that have not heard anything. My documents were received mid June 2019 also, so I was beginning to get very concerned. Now at least I know I’m not alone. The official 12 -18 month wait is starting to look more like 16+. I am worried that the estimated wait time will soon be revised to 18-24 months, especially with more lock downs in Europe on the horizon. Thanks to all posters for updates. It really helps me from getting too discouraged.
If it's any consolation to May/June applicants, there are still some of us waiting since docs were received in early March 2019! Webchat has told me there's no identified problem with my 2 children's applications, but no progress either 😢 Hoping the end is in sight soon.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 am

Pb300 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm
Wow, that is strange. It is starting to seem like they pulled the June -September batch and randomly select from that pile. But good for you!
This is what they have told me.. jun-sep now, but from experience, it always depends on the case officer, some are proactive, while others have no interest (typical irish public servants)

Nodrick
Newly Registered

Post by Nodrick » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:45 am

EmmaKate wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 am
Pb300 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm
If it's any consolation to May/June applicants, there are still some of us waiting since docs were received in early March 2019! Webchat has told me there's no identified problem with my 2 children's applications, but no progress either 😢 Hoping the end is in sight soon.
It's kind of a consolation, in so much that it's not just me, but being a may applicant and seeing June, July and August applications approved is a frustrating, though clearly it's more frustrating for you. I guess it must depend who picks it up from the pile!

Doddyod
Newly Registered

Post by Doddyod » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Whooo hooo! Address confirmation e-mail received and responded to in record time 😎

Application submitted online: 10th May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 6th June 2019 (Day Zero)
Confirmation of address email: 16 October 2020 (498 days - 16 Months 10 days)

jgclancy
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by jgclancy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Doddyod wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm
Whooo hooo! Address confirmation e-mail received and responded to in record time 😎

Application submitted online: 10th May 2019
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation Balbriggan: 6th June 2019 (Day Zero)
Confirmation of address email: 16 October 2020 (498 days - 16 Months 10 days)
Congrats Daddyod!! in under 500 days too!--glad to hear another has made it

jgclancy

Berthalily18
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Berthalily18 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 pm

BrexitEscapee wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:16 pm
Berthalily18 wrote:
To do a late registration, one of the things you have to do is get the GRO to do a records search for your grandparent's birth registry entry (using all the details you've got) and then produce an official certificate to say nothing was found. In your case, they'll just find that your grandparent's birth was registered, and you won't be able to go any further. So you've got no option - you have to proceed with the birth certificate as it stands. There are lots of examples on this forum of people who've successfully applied with all sorts of discrepancies in the documentation - the Irish authorities are well aware that official records contained inaccuracies at the time of our grandparents' births because literacy was generally low and record-keeping wasn't precise.
Many thanks indeed. I might actually have just had a breakthrough with some assistance from a helpful chap in Waterford and a direct search by the GRO people for me. Seems there are records not viewable to me on the websites I've tried.

Mirroch
Newly Registered

Post by Mirroch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Hello all.

Well, I appear to be up s*** creek with my FBR application. Applied August 2019. Didn't hear anything until two days ago, when I got an email rejecting my parents' marriage certificate. Apparently it has to be a civil certificate, not a church one - I didn't even know there was a difference. And it is the only marriage certificate my parents have ever had.

I have no idea how to get another certificate. My mum is English/Irish, but she met and married my dad in America. As they got married 57 or 58 years ago, they cannot even remember the state they got married in, let alone the town or name of the synagogue. The state is probably Pennsylvania, but could be New Jersey. And they probably got married in 1962, but they're not absolutely sure. They, surprisingly, do remember the date, but I have to try to find the exact year too.

I've emailed the DFA asking them for the details on the marriage certificate (e.g. name of synagogue), explaining my predicament and that I can't progress any further until I have them. However, I don't even know if the DFA reply to emails. I do know from this site they have become impossible to contact since COVID and there is no phone number for them anymore. In the meantime, there is a ticking clock as I've only been given 28 days to send them the required document.

Given how long ago this marriage was and that it took place in a foreign country and in a religious building, I genuinely have no idea if I can even get a civil certificate. Supposing there's no record of my parents' marriage anywhere in America? Am I stuffed then?