ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application delays for Refugees Applicants

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Re: Naturalisation application delays for Refugees Applicants

Post by Semsem1990 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Oria wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Luna149 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:09 pm
Hi All I hope everyone safe at this difficult time.
Please can someone advice me?
I apple last year on 15th August I will be 8 months waiting.
I sent email last week they confirm that application will be allocated to a caseworker??
Can someone explain to me what is that means?
It is just starting to deal with my case? Or this is the last stage? I am really confused please 🙏 help
Hi
If you applied on 15 August 2019, it will be 12 months since your application next week. I am also waiting for a decision. I applied one month before you in July.

Dear Luna,
Dear Oria,

I have the same situation
Can I ask please about the English test certificate validity B1 it is for 2 years
Have you have any idea about this if 2 years run out.
I wish you the best.
Regards

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Post by Semsem1990 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 pm

Semsem1990 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm
mrafgsharoon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 am
ariskar wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am
I have an interesting update to share to be honest. We emailed them (a lot). They said:

1. ...waiting caseworker... (2 months)
2. ...assigned to caseworker waiting answer... (around 3 months)
3. ...email from HO: additional checks external agencies etc. - 6 months not possible... (after 5 months
4. ...6 months passed...
5. ...7 - 9 months: additional checks ongoing...

It seems that for refugees it is a standard practice to return to additional checks after "standard ones" are passed and it goes to caseworker. Thus, it seems extra checks are carried only after a caseworker sees the application and then sends it for them, after which are complete and the case is back to the back of the queue for caseworker assignment. If true, this procedural inefficiency would double the standard processing time (about 3 months to 6 months), plus the extra checks processing time... hence the 8-12 months many refugee background applicants are facing. I cannot prove it, but I trust from the email answers we have been getting from 2 months of the application onward (we emailed them about monthly) it seems so. If this is true, it would not only be procedural segregation, but also silly organisational performance & procedural inefficiency. Obviously, many of these emails are standardised, or semi-standard and cannot be reliable indicators of internal processes, hence treat the aforementioned as a hypothesis of the poster. If this is the case, at least HO could initiate the "additional screening" from application initiation, before waiting for an assigned caseworker to ask for it, 3 months down the line.
Hi :
Ariskar
Me too I am always getting the same standard responses from HO everytime I send them emails I get the same replies internal / external checks had not been completed so far as soon as we make a decision you will be contacted by case worker i contact HO every 3 months by emails + phone calls
3 times I asked my MP to contact HO but it seems nothing really works because I got 3 years experience in communications with HO

Application date 25-july-2017
Waiting time reached 33 months
Sometimes I am thinking to withdraw my application and then reapply for it :oops:
Dear Mrafgsharoon,

I feel so sorry for 33 months waiting.
it is so painful

My Application date July 2019
I have been waiting 15 months

could you help me please with any helpful advise?
Have you complained?
Have you contacted MP

Can I ask please about the English test certificate (B1) validity it is for 2 years
Have you have any idea about this if 2 years run out.
I wish you the best.
Regards

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Post by Semsem1990 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:01 am
Danbet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 am
Hi Oria, Hannah and other refugees who are waiting for decisions yet. Have heard anything? Any update please. I applied on 15 July 2019. It has been 15 months. I stopped contacting HO after 11 months. In August, contacted My local MP who contacted HO on my behalf. They replied I have still to wait as they are still waiting for external agencies report. It is frustrating. tried to focus on other things but still.... I know a couple of friends who applied after me and received their approval after 11 months. Two other friends are also waiting for a year. How about you guys?? Any news?
I know a family who is waiting for 20 months.
Dear CULLINAN
Dear Danbet
Can I ask please about the English test certificate (B1) validity it is for 2 years
do you have any idea about this if 2 years run out. HO will ask to re take exam again
I wish you the best.
Regards

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Post by Semsem1990 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm

Good evening All,
About (Naturalisation application delays)

I have been waiting for 15 months

Could anyone help please, if you have any idea about
(B1 English test Certificate) Validity
HO says in website:-
Test results are valid for 2 years from the date the test is awarded.

if the application take longer than normal & this 2 years run out.

Do we need to retake the exam again and paid again?

I would be so grateful for any helpful information

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 pm

Semsem1990 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:09 pm
Good evening All,
About (Naturalisation application delays)

I have been waiting for 15 months

Could anyone help please, if you have any idea about
(B1 English test Certificate) Validity
HO says in website:-
Test results are valid for 2 years from the date the test is awarded.

if the application take longer than normal & this 2 years run out.

Do we need to retake the exam again and paid again?

I would be so grateful for any helpful information
No. Date of application matters when you submitted your application. Delay is irrelevant.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

hannah2019
Newly Registered

Post by hannah2019 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Hello

I’m sorry for late reply. I’ve finally received my approval. It was so painful for me to wait this long. I wish sharing my timeline would help others.

I applied on 28 September 2019.(online)
I did my Biometric on 29 September 2019. I paid £100 for it.(Croydon)
I received my approval on 05 November 2020.(email)

14 months of wait until today. I’m tired of this as I have to wait now to receive my ceremony invitation.

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Post by Semsem1990 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Dear CULLINAN,
Good evening,

Could you help me please if you have any information.

I have been waiting the decision for a year & half (18 months)

What I have to do?

I sent many emails, but no reply
last update was in August. Then, they stopped.

I have heart disease
it is so painful & stressed

Any advise please
I would be so thankful to you

Regards

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:41 am

Semsem1990 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:29 pm
Dear CULLINAN,
Good evening,

Could you help me please if you have any information.

I have been waiting the decision for a year & half (18 months)

What I have to do?

I sent many emails, but no reply
last update was in August. Then, they stopped.

I have heart disease
it is so painful & stressed

Any advise please
I would be so thankful to you

Regards
If you have medical conditions and the delay is affecting your health, contact your GP. If your GP can give you a letter, send that as an evidence to HO and request them to expedite the case. HO takes medical history/mental health seriously.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Semsem1990
Newly Registered
Kuwait

Post by Semsem1990 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Dear CULLINAN,

I very appreciate your reply, please accept my deepest thanks.

I'm waiting since June 2019.
I was afraid of telling them and thought the HO does not like people with medical problem and if they know this matter they will leave the application without answer for ever and it will be forgotten.

Is there any member in this website had health problem and this helped him to get decision after inform them. Can I get a link please?

I'm very much thankful to you.

Bless your heart

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

Semsem1990 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:43 pm
Dear CULLINAN,

I very appreciate your reply, please accept my deepest thanks.

I'm waiting since June 2019.
I was afraid of telling them and thought the HO does not like people with medical problem and if they know this matter they will leave the application without answer for ever and it will be forgotten.

Is there any member in this website had health problem and this helped him to get decision after inform them. Can I get a link please?

I'm very much thankful to you.

Bless your heart
British Citizenship is discretionary - it is a privilege and not a right. Having said that, if you have medical condition/compelling situation that is making the wait worse, you can always request HO. Your request may or may not be accepted. But worth a try.

Benbella
Newly Registered

Post by Benbella » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Mmy history. Refugee ILR for 1 year: applied for nationalisation in October but had biometric taken on November 14. Today got an email that my nationalisation was successful. So there is hope for refuges mine took less than 2 month as they start counting after biometric is done... Dint travel for 5 years and my home passport expired 2 years ago. Never used a lawyer always followed guidelines n this group like the bible.. Can never thank this group enough and good luck everyone

SamFar
Newly Registered

Post by SamFar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:11 am

BoyTed wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:39 pm
N1234 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm
I have never posted but I have been lurking around this forum for awhile. I am posting because I wanted to give people from refugee background hope and clearer picture. I was going through the timeline page and I was able to go as far as back 3 years ago and see the amount of people from refugee background. there aren't many. some received it in appropriate time and some delayed and most of them received it eventually. so for future applicants don't try to come with a conclusion based of peoples post here, there isn't enough data to derive a statement from. But the best approach is to assume it will be between 1 month to a year(I know easier said than done). But it's good to stay hopeful.

For myself, I sent my application on the 21/12/2019 and I got an email today saying my application has been successful at 07/06/2020. I did mine through solicitor, not saying it's better to do it through them but it gave me reassurance or gave me the illusion that my application won't fail if I do it through them. every application I made has been through solicitor ( except travel document.)
advice:
Through this time I mediated a lot, kept busy and generally tried to be at peace. seek things that will help you be at peace. reduce your time how much you spend online(forum). For those making application good luck. for those who got delayed stay hopeful and at peace, you guys are doing well!
Congrats N1234 and well said in regards to refugees and how to keep sane during this process.

Hello BoyTed,

First off congratulations om positive outcome of your citizenship application. I am in the same boat exactly as you. Overstaye for 3 years and was sent a same questionnaire as you were given. If you are still following the platform, Please respond back. Have you had your ceremony/Passport yet??
Thanks.

Nsaf
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Post by Nsaf » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:36 pm

Hi everyone. I am new in this forum.

Looking into threads, I see many applications have been waiting for long period of time.

I have also been waiting since last 18months for the outcome of the application.

@semsem... any news or outcome of your application. ?
Semsem1990 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm
mrafgsharoon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 am
ariskar wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 am
I have an interesting update to share to be honest. We emailed them (a lot). They said:

1. ...waiting caseworker... (2 months)
2. ...assigned to caseworker waiting answer... (around 3 months)
3. ...email from HO: additional checks external agencies etc. - 6 months not possible... (after 5 months
4. ...6 months passed...
5. ...7 - 9 months: additional checks ongoing...

It seems that for refugees it is a standard practice to return to additional checks after "standard ones" are passed and it goes to caseworker. Thus, it seems extra checks are carried only after a caseworker sees the application and then sends it for them, after which are complete and the case is back to the back of the queue for caseworker assignment. If true, this procedural inefficiency would double the standard processing time (about 3 months to 6 months), plus the extra checks processing time... hence the 8-12 months many refugee background applicants are facing. I cannot prove it, but I trust from the email answers we have been getting from 2 months of the application onward (we emailed them about monthly) it seems so. If this is true, it would not only be procedural segregation, but also silly organisational performance & procedural inefficiency. Obviously, many of these emails are standardised, or semi-standard and cannot be reliable indicators of internal processes, hence treat the aforementioned as a hypothesis of the poster. If this is the case, at least HO could initiate the "additional screening" from application initiation, before waiting for an assigned caseworker to ask for it, 3 months down the line.
Hi :
Ariskar
Me too I am always getting the same standard responses from HO everytime I send them emails I get the same replies internal / external checks had not been completed so far as soon as we make a decision you will be contacted by case worker i contact HO every 3 months by emails + phone calls
3 times I asked my MP to contact HO but it seems nothing really works because I got 3 years experience in communications with HO

Application date 25-july-2017
Waiting time reached 33 months
Sometimes I am thinking to withdraw my application and then reapply for it :oops:
Hi Mrafgsharoon,

I feel so sorry for 33 months waiting.
could you help me please with any helpful advise?
My Application date July 2019
I have been waiting 15 months

Have you complained?
Have you contacted MP

Regards

Ben3g09
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Ben3g09 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:44 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:21 pm
I think this matter is being approached in an incorrect manner.

Naturalisation and the grant of citizenship is generally the one aspect of international law that is seen as the exclusive preserve of the nation-state, because it involves becoming a member of the body-politic of that nation.

I think therefore that even the UNHCR and Amnesty International will be wary of intervening in such matters. At the end of the day, keep in mind that the refugees will have already received ILR, the right to reside permanently in the UK and where they would have stayed for the past few years in safety.

Also, I'm sure the Home Office will have likely noticed that one of the first actions most refugees do on getting British citizenship is to leave the UK and generally visit the country that they have sought refuge/asylum from. That casts a doubt as to the motive for the former refugee, both as to whether they had lied in the past about their refugee status and as to their future intentions, because, as mentioned above, they can already reside in the UK just fine without citizenship.

Indeed, most people resident in the UK on ILR already have most of the privileges of citizenship, including British citizenship by birth for any children born in the UK. It is not impossible that the Home Office therefore looks into naturalisation applications by former refugees more closely.

I think a much more productive way to approach this matter is to raise an FoI request to the Home Office requesting details of what checks are carried out for naturalisation applications for all applicants and a second FoI request (preferably by somebody else, after a gap of time) requesting the same details for former refugee applicants.

As an aside, as this thread specifically focusses on the question of delay in former refugee naturalisation applications, the other thread, which was meant to be a general discussion but which seems to have been overtaken for use on a specific topic, will now be locked.

i DO NOT agree with you point? if you believe refugee will go back to their country after their are granted citizenship, then those with the teirs could also go back and leave there and come back for benefits...why single out only refugees ...even in your statement is discrimination!!!.. both contributed to the ecomony during the leave to remain and it is fair enough refugees should also be treated with respect..i believe for the same reason a other applicant would apply for citizenship would be the same reason a refugee would... do you think is a nice feeling to be called a refugee in a country you are working you mule off to be part off?

Rajux

Post by Rajux » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi
I just want to know any new updates for refugee naturalisation application processing time.
I am waiting to apply in September I knew, it is really frustated that many people are waiting too long.
I recently learnt that few people got their Naturalization within 4 months.
So I think ho started to process the application sooner at present.
If anyone got any updates pls share here.
Thanks.