ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Queries

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sazhar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Naturalisation Queries

Post by Sazhar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi All,
I just have a few simple queries:

1. Is the Naturalisation Department accepting new Applications these days; & how many days are they usually taking for return of Original Documents? Anybody with recent experience?

2. Just want to confirm this: I am an Irish citizen now & my wife is living continuously with me in Ireland since December 2015. Is she eligible for Naturalisation Application now (wife of Irish citizen & more than 3 years' valid stay in Ireland)?

3. Is it better for her to apply now, or wait till she passes full 5 years' stay in Ireland? I have no idea if any of these two pathways is quicker.

Any advice on these will be much appreciated, Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Naturalisation Queries

Post by littlerr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:12 pm

1. Yes. It’s taking forever. Consider it anywhere between 1 - 6 months.

2. No. You have only been an Irish person for a few months. She’s better wait till December 2020.

3. On her own. It’s always better to apply on ones own merit rather than depending on a different person.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:00 am

That's interesting, the (two) people I've known who were able to comment said being a spouse of an Irish citizen was much faster.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Based on some limited data we have here (in my friend’s firm), the mean and median average period (calculated using from the date when an application is initiated to when it is approved) is actually similar. This is from data prior to Mar 2020.

There are a LOT of outliers in standard 5 years submission - some people have been waiting for years. Nobody seems to know why, but they still constitute only a small portion of the whole data.

It’s more appropriate to put it like this: if an applicant has married to an Irish citizen for 3 years and immediately apply for citizenship, the chance of having a prompt approval is similar to a person who is from the same country, similar background and applied based on 5-year standard route (employment).

None of that matters to the OP though, as he has only been an Irish citizen for a few months. While this is not explicitly mentioned whether it is possible to apply via this route, waiting for 2 extra months is definitely a safer option.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Sazhar wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Is she eligible for Naturalisation Application now (wife of Irish citizen & more than 3 years' valid stay in Ireland)?

If she applies as a wife of Irish citizen, she will have to sign the declaration stating she has been married with an Irish citizen for three years. If that's not the case, in other words you were not an Irish citizen for the full three years of your marriage, the declaration will be viewed as a false statement and her application will be binned.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm

Whoa - where do you see that?
I took it to mean:
Alice and Bob are citizens of Canada
Alice and Bob have been married for 10 years. They've lived in Ireland for 5 years.
Alice gets naturalized. Alice is now an Irish citizen.
Bob has now been married to Alice, who is an Irish citizen, for 10 years.
Bob can apply as Alice's spouse.

Is that right?

https://1p9fz05mazr28icdhq6jweym-wpengi ... m-CTZ3.pdf page 33 and 34 shows the affidavit, I don't see the length of the Irish citizen's citizenship brought up?

Vorona wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 pm
Sazhar wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm
Is she eligible for Naturalisation Application now (wife of Irish citizen & more than 3 years' valid stay in Ireland)?

If she applies as a wife of Irish citizen, she will have to sign the declaration stating she has been married with an Irish citizen for three years. If that's not the case, in other words you were not an Irish citizen for the full three years of your marriage, the declaration will be viewed as a false statement and her application will be binned.

Sazhar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Sazhar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks Guys for replying. I am still not sure what to do, as i have been getting similar mixed replies from friends as well (Is she eligible to apply now or not?).
The exact wording from Form 8 is:
"Note, you must be married / in a civil partnership to the Irish citizen for not less than 3 years, and
be living together at the date of making an application and have the required residency in the
island of Ireland".
&
"Evidence of residency permission i.e. your passport(s) showing residency permission
stamps for a period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and a further 2 years in
the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, or alternatively proof of residence
in the island of Ireland for this period".

I do not see the "length/duration" of Irish Citizen's Citizenship mentioned anywhere here, before she is eligible to apply.

patricksax
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by patricksax » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:51 am

There's no requirement for how long you have to be Irish citizen for your spouse to apply under this route. Though you have to be married for 3 years and reside in ireland for the same period prior to the application. My friend has this confirmed with citizenship division in an email.

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by johnpromise01 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Sazhar wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 pm
Thanks Guys for replying. I am still not sure what to do, as i have been getting similar mixed replies from friends as well (Is she eligible to apply now or not?).
The exact wording from Form 8 is:
"Note, you must be married / in a civil partnership to the Irish citizen for not less than 3 years, and
be living together at the date of making an application and have the required residency in the
island of Ireland".
&
"Evidence of residency permission i.e. your passport(s) showing residency permission
stamps for a period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and a further 2 years in
the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, or alternatively proof of residence
in the island of Ireland for this period".

I do not see the "length/duration" of Irish Citizen's Citizenship mentioned anywhere here, before she is eligible to apply.

If you have been legally married for 3 years and your spouse become Irish citizen after then, you are eligible. Your spouse being an Irish citizen for 3 years prior to your application is not a requirement.