ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

**** COVID19 and UKVCAS Appointments **** (ONLY discuss here)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Emp35

Re: **** COVID19 and UKVCAS Biometrics Appointments **** (ONLY discuss here)

Post by Emp35 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi guys,

Would anyone know if it is still okay to get an appointment for ILR after current visa expires? Can’t seem to find this on the update and the q & a guide by ukvcas just provide a link ukvi that even even answer the question

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by mesn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 pm

gag285 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:35 pm
@Navkant - I just got a response on my tweet and UKVCAS said its ok if you have no other choice. Its a big relief but I will still keep looking for a childcare option. Just letting you know for your appointment on Saturday. Good Luck
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. UKVCAS Twitter Handle rocks. They are mostly prompt and useful.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

Samarpan
Newly Registered
India

Post by Samarpan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:02 pm

drengshehata wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 pm
Hi All,

I think the decision for SET (0) takes longer. I have submitted my application on 12 June and my Bio on 9 September via IDV app. I haven't heard yet anything from the HO. I am wondering, is there a way to contact them and ask for any update?
Thanks
I Have applied on 29th July and IDV on 9th Sept.
No Update as yet

switie18
Newly Registered

Post by switie18 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:44 pm

I haven't received any ILR decision yet as well. Submitted 31 July and biometrics was last 28 August. I am set (o) plus 1 dependent.

China

Post by 917700 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Hi all

I submitted my an change of address form on 9th September. Then, I received confirmation email today, is this means the caseworker start to look my application now and a decision will be made soon?

Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks

Ameline

Post by Ameline » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm

917700 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:55 pm
Hi all

I submitted my an change of address form on 9th September. Then, I received confirmation email today, is this means the caseworker start to look my application now and a decision will be made soon?

Thanks
As far as we know from this forum, they have not reached August applications yet for SET(LR) and they have not reached September for SET(M).

China

Post by 917700 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Ameline wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pm
917700 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks
As far as we know from this forum, they have not reached August applications yet for SET(LR) and they have not reached September for SET(M).
Yes, I found a lot of member who applied around 10th July received decision recently. And there is a big jump to 27th July today. I hope the HO caseworker can continue to work on applications this fast.

stonelove
India

Post by stonelove » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 pm

Ameline wrote:
917700 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks
Also there are still applicants waiting form April-July who are still waiting so we all got to hold tight.

Victor7109
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Victor7109 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:29 pm

917700 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm
Ameline wrote:
917700 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks
Yes, I found a lot of member who applied around 10th July received decision recently. And there is a big jump to 27th July today. I hope the HO caseworker can continue to work on applications this fast.
Lets hope in the process of working fast, they can also look back and check on the rest of March, April, May and June applications.

alibaba2234
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by alibaba2234 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:49 pm

gyanp wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:04 pm
alibaba2234 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:22 am
I have received my BRP decision email today (successful). I want share details of my case, hopefully it give our society here some additional insight:

Insight:
1. You can register application with UKVI for ILR (LR) before you qualify for the ILR (LR). As long as you qualify on the day of biometric appointment, you should be fine.
2. You shouldn't expect and communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from the day of biometric submission.
3. My 1st date of entry to the UK (2 Sept 10) is blurred and the stamp is illegible. I submit print-out of my flight ticket that day and I received no further query from UKVI.
4. Biometric reuse: I have no idea why I was not selected for reuse. I am a lone application (no dependant, no lawyer was used). I submit my biometric in 2015 for Tier 4, 2016 for Tier 2 Visa, 2019 for Tier 2 visa extension; so home office had plenty of my biometric already. All application mentioned were lone application).

My timeline ILR (LR):
1st entry to UK: 2/Sept/2010
1st date to qualify for ILR (LR): 5/Aug/2020

5/Jul: Created UKVI account
5/Jul: Register with UKVCAS (did not click submit document to UKVI button)
7/Aug: Biometric appointment (in-person)
19 /Oct: decision email received (successful)
BRP received: awaiting.

Note:
No email or any form of communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from biometric appointment to 19 Oct
No email communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from 5/Jul to 7/Aug except register confirmation email and email asking me to book biometric appointment.
Congratulations! when did you submit your ILR application and paid fees to UKVI. I thought that should be considered as your application date. I submitted my ILR (LR) application on 4th Aug 2020, hence want to check with you.
ADDITIONAL INFO in response to enquiries:

1st day my visa was granted: 6/Aug/2010, 1st day landed in UK 2/Sep/2010.
For ILR (transfer from Tier 2) I believe HO guidance is to use visa date. For ILR (LR), however, there is no mentioned of visa date in HO's guidance, that is why it is a grey area.

What I did on 5 Jul: The sequence were: I created UKVI account, filled application form (completed all questionnaires), I paid for the application (standard route), Money was taken from my credit card, I received email to register with UKVCAS, I registered with UKVCAS. I uploaded all my scanned documents.
All of these were on done on the 5 Jul. However, I DID NOT click send documents to UKVI button. This button to send docs to UKVI disappeared 48 hours before biometric appointment.

The person who took my biometric clicked submit button on the day of the biometric appointment.
So, the official application date was 5 Jul, but all supporting documents were sent to UKVI on 8 Aug (24 hour after biometric).

According to HO's official guidance for ILR (LR) caseworker, application date is the day you completed ILR (LR) form AND pay your £2.4k fee. So according to this definition, my application date is 5 Jul.

gyanp

Post by gyanp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm

alibaba2234 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:49 pm
gyanp wrote:
alibaba2234 wrote:
I have received my BRP decision email today (successful). I want share details of my case, hopefully it give our society here some additional insight:

Insight:
1. You can register application with UKVI for ILR (LR) before you qualify for the ILR (LR). As long as you qualify on the day of biometric appointment, you should be fine.
2. You shouldn't expect and communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from the day of biometric submission.
3. My 1st date of entry to the UK (2 Sept 10) is blurred and the stamp is illegible. I submit print-out of my flight ticket that day and I received no further query from UKVI.
4. Biometric reuse: I have no idea why I was not selected for reuse. I am a lone application (no dependant, no lawyer was used). I submit my biometric in 2015 for Tier 4, 2016 for Tier 2 Visa, 2019 for Tier 2 visa extension; so home office had plenty of my biometric already. All application mentioned were lone application).

My timeline ILR (LR):

Note:
No email or any form of communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from biometric appointment to 19 Oct
No email communication from UKVI or UKVCAS from 5/Jul to 7/Aug except register confirmation email and email asking me to book biometric appointment.
Congratulations! when did you submit your ILR application and paid fees to UKVI. I thought that should be considered as your application date. I submitted my ILR (LR) application on 4th Aug 2020, hence want to check with you.

For ILR (transfer from Tier 2) I believe HO guidance is to use visa date. For ILR (LR), however, there is no mentioned of visa date in HO's guidance, that is why it is a grey area.

What I did on 5 Jul: The sequence were: I created UKVI account, filled application form (completed all questionnaires), I paid for the application (standard route), Money was taken from my credit card, I received email to register with UKVCAS, I registered with UKVCAS. I uploaded all my scanned documents.
All of these were on done on the 5 Jul. However, I DID NOT click send documents to UKVI button. This button to send docs to UKVI disappeared 48 hours before biometric appointment.

The person who took my biometric clicked submit button on the day of the biometric appointment.
So, the official application date was 5 Jul, but all supporting documents were sent to UKVI on 8 Aug (24 hour after biometric).

According to HO's official guidance for ILR (LR) caseworker, application date is the day you completed ILR (LR) form AND pay your £2.4k fee. So according to this definition, my application date is 5 Jul.
Thanks for sharing details.

Luluokis29
Mood:

Post by Luluokis29 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

. You can register application with UKVI for ILR (LR) before you qualify for the ILR (LR). As long as you qualify on the day of biometric appointment, you should be fine.

So the above statement is wrong. Your qualifying period started from initial date of grant of visa (06th August) and NOT your entry date of 2nd September.🙏

alibaba2234 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:49 pm
gyanp wrote:
alibaba2234 wrote:

Insight:

My timeline ILR (LR):

Note:

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm

SET(LR) is counted from date of entry. Different visa routes have different rules.

Also, do not confuse date of qualifying. Everyone has different circumstances.

The OP who mentioned this above is confusing many people.

Date of application is the date you pay and submit online. However, if someone applied earlier (by mistake), as long the decision is made when the applicant actually qualifies, the application will be successful.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by ajitu92 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Some more clarification expanding on what @CULLINAN has said. The poster has confused a lot of people indeed. Just because it has worked for one person or s/he has gotten lucky, does not mean that is the best practice. So here is a breakdown of all the milestone dates in addition to what @CULLINAN has already correctly said:

For SET (LR), the application can be submitted earliest at the date of initial ENTRY minus 28 days.

You may register your UKVI account and start filling the application well beforehand. The form will be autosaved and the information held for a few weeks (I believe it is 10 weeks, but better to check on the UKVI portal - it tells you).

The date of your application is the date your submit the completed form and pay (which as mentioned above should be at 28 days minus date of initial entry at the earliest for Set (LR).

If all the above steps are followed, the biometrics can be done at any time after your application is submitted, but it is advisable to submit them/attend your appointment AFTER your complete 10 full years (from date of initial ENTRY).

Now some caveats to the above:

The caseworker guidance states that the caseworker can/should use the date that works to the advantage of the applicant. So, this can even be the date of the decision. At the same time, it also states that any application made before the 28 day minus date of initial entry (Set LR) must normally be refused. So the issue you face is this...once you have submitted your biometrics, everything is out of your hands i.e. the date they consider your application and make the decision. So the best course of action would be to apply 28 days minus date of initial entry (Set LR) and do your biometrics after you have completed 10 full years. That way it leaves no doubt. Now, like the OP outlined, you may get lucky following slightly different ways to go about this but this leaves it to chance and up to casework discretion/interpretation.
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 pm

So the best course of action would be to apply 28 days minus date of initial entry (Set LR) and do your biometrics after you have completed 10 full years
Would like to make a correction here. As long SET(LR) submit and pay for an application when they complete 10 years minus 28 days counting from the date of ENTRY, the biometrics date is irrelevant. It can be before or after completing the 10 years, does not matter.

PS: For the readers, different routes have different criteria so do not apply the above on your self.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by ajitu92 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:37 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:26 pm
So the best course of action would be to apply 28 days minus date of initial entry (Set LR) and do your biometrics after you have completed 10 full years
Would like to make a correction here. As long SET(LR) submit and pay for an application when they complete 10 years minus 28 days counting from the date of ENTRY, the biometrics date is irrelevant. It can be before or after completing the 10 years, does not matter.
100% agreed, sire! It does not matter. The statement you quoted pertained to the peace of mind factor, hence the "Best course of action" tag. Doing it in the way I stated, removes any and every factor that may crop up as a doubt in the applicant's mind. The reason being, outside of the coronavirus concessions with the direct document submission to UKVI, normally the case is not looked at by caseworkers until biometrics have been enrolled, which then takes any further control out of the applicant's hands.

My agreement with what you pointed out is shown by the below statement in my post (advisable but NOT mandatory):
If all the above steps are followed, the biometrics can be done at any time after your application is submitted, but it is advisable to submit them/attend your appointment AFTER your complete 10 full years (from date of initial ENTRY).
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 pm

The date of application is the date you pay and submit online. As long you submit IN TIME i.e. when you “qualify”, biometrics date/documents submission date is irrelevant.

For SET(LR), if someone applies in time i.e. 10 years minus 28 days from date of initial ENTRY AND uploads and self-submits the documents the same day, attends biometrics the next day and decision is made the following day (before completing 10 years), its totally fine.

There is no advisory to attend biometrics after completing the 10 years as per the guidance.

If one has to go with your advisory and lets say SP was ON, if someone applies in time (10 years minus 28 days) would wait another 28 days to book the biometrics appointment??

alibaba2234
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by alibaba2234 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Guys,

The reason I filled in my application early was that back in July the earlier you created an account with UKVCAS the sooner you get a biometric appointment. This submission method is pointless when we have plenty of available appointments.

I am just providing facts and some opinions about my application; I am not advising anyone to do anything. Please use your own judgment when making a decision on how to approach your application. I think in an unusual time, we might need to take risks that our application may be rejected in exchange for the chance of having a faster decision. Everyone has a different risk appetite, so many people might not be comfortable with what I did.

Hopefully, insight into my case assists people in making their own decision. If you find it confusing, please ignore or delete my post.

Also, as Cullinan mentioned. For ILR (LR) qualify date count from 1st date of arriving in the UK, rather than 1st day of your visa became valid. This is based on HO's rule and guidance for SET LR. Other ILR SET have other rules, so please don't apply the rule for SET(O) to SET (LR) and confuse yourself.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm

alibaba2234 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:53 pm
With due respect to your experience, such unusual cases can cause confusion amongst the mass when not properly addressed.
Your application was successful because either; you booked your appointment after you actually qualified OR your decision was made when you actually qualified.

But many just reading your initial post would have got confused, wanted to clarify the actual guidance behind it so it does not mislead anyone else.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by ajitu92 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:59 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:44 pm
The date of application is the date you pay and submit online. As long you submit IN TIME i.e. when you “qualify”, biometrics date/documents submission date is irrelevant.

For SET(LR), if someone applies in time i.e. 10 years minus 28 days from date of initial ENTRY AND uploads and self-submits the documents the same day, attends biometrics the next day and decision is made the following day (before completing 10 years), its totally fine.

There is no advisory to attend biometrics after completing completing the 10 years as per the guidance.

If one has to go with your advisory and lets say SP was ON, if someone applies in time (10 years minus 28 days) would wait another 28 days to book the biometrics appointment??
No such advisory officially, no. And neither have I claimed that to be the case in any of my posts. And I have agreed with you that it IS indeed fine. But if the applicant is a worrier (like a LOT of people are) then, once again, it's a peace of mind thing as I mentioned in my previous post.

Going with the hypothetical SP ON scenario, the answer to that would be no, not necessarily. It would be up to the individual in that case, whether they would like to wait 28 days for the biometrics for the peace of mind, or have a few nervous hours at their appointment until the decision was made.

I raise you another hypothetical scenario assuming SP was ON. Let's say the applicant's current leave gets curtailed to somewhere in between 28 days minus 10 years of initial entry and actual completion of 10 years from initial entry. The applicant can then apply IN TIME AND within 28 days minus date of initial entry, but if they enrol their biometrics in this 28 day period, could the case worker not question whether they would complete 10 years of legal continuous residence from initial entry date (on the date of the decision w/SP), given their leave has been curtailed to a period before it?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:10 pm

No such advisory officially, no. And neither have I claimed that to be the case in any of my posts. And I have agreed with you that it IS indeed fine.
Thats the point. We have to follow/advise according to the OFFICIAL guidance not what I/you think is right.

Also, your hypothetical scenario has no relevance to what I quoted earlier. That is a whole new topic with its own case specific merits.

I feel an obligation to correct something where official guidance is available. You can only have your own intuitions/interpretations/worries when there is NO official guidance available.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Page 14:
Applications being considered 28 days or less before the required qualifying period is completed
You can grant an application if it is considered 28 days or less before the applicant completes the required qualifying period, provided they meet all the other rules for long residence.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by ajitu92 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:10 pm
No such advisory officially, no. And neither have I claimed that to be the case in any of my posts. And I have agreed with you that it IS indeed fine.
Thats the point. We have to follow/advise according to the OFFICIAL guidance not what I/you think is right.

Also, your hypothetical scenario has no relevance to what I quoted earlier. That is a whole new topic with its own case specific merits.

I feel an obligation to correct something where official guidance is available. You can only have your own intuitions/interpretations/worries when there is NO official guidance available.
I'm sure this can go on in circles. At no point have I said that official guidance should not be followed. On the contrary, I have advocated that official guidance should be followed.

The hypothetical scenario has complete relevance as the hypothetical scenario of SP being available was brought up. It is a whole topic with it's own merits indeed, but does fall into the realm of the scenario being originally discussed.

While your obligation is NOT unfounded, and everyone can have their own intuitions/interpretations/worries where there is NO official guidance, the official guidance also leaves a lot to caseworker discretion at the same time and in the same document. There is no "catch all" where ALL official guidance applies, and hence where the official document calls for caseworker discretion, to be safe and for peace of mind it is better to err on the side of caution and follow the safest approach while adhering to what the guidance CLEARLY states. If the route I mentioned is followed, in most cases it leaves no doubt. Once again, not a catch-all, but a safe approach.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by ajitu92 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:17 pm
Page 14:
Applications being considered 28 days or less before the required qualifying period is completed
You can grant an application if it is considered 28 days or less before the applicant completes the required qualifying period, provided they meet all the other rules for long residence.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf
This is what I have agreed to as well. But it must be noted that it says "CAN" and not "MUST".

debrancherenzym

Post by debrancherenzym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 am

On a separate note, a SET(O) got approved in 5 working days, just saw on the timeline thread, application made 12th October, approval 19th October. There's definitely new staff working at UKVI who probably are efficient in the way they are working. Congratulations to that applicant.