ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unsuccessful applications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Unsuccessful applications

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am

Dokaro wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:20 am
Hello everyone, I've been following the forum for a few months, and a few days ago I registered. I want to know the opinion of some of you. I applied for my British nationality on June 22, 2020. On October 1st I received a question form from the home office, the questions were about my overstayed. Answer the questions as honestly as possible, but on October 17 I received the rejection letter .... Would it be good to apply for a reconsideration? Thank you
For knowledgeable members to respond in detail you need to give details of the rejection letter (omitting personal data), your immigration history, when the overstay was flagged, what you disclosed, etc. My understanding is that reconsideration is about whether UKVI applied the law correctly or considered all facts of the case.

You were already asked for details: british-citizenship/citizenship-applica ... l#p1951115
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Dokaro
Newly Registered

Post by Dokaro » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 am

I entered the UK in May 2007 with a tourist visa, which expired the following month, so I stayed until 2012 when I applied for residency for 5 years which was awarded to me for being a son from a citizen of the European Union, and in June 2017 I received the ILR. and in June 2020 I decide to apply for British citizenship ... between 2007 and 2012 my father was my financial support, he paid all my expenses. I did not work, I did not study, and I did not receive any benefit other than that of my father. I indicated this in the questionnaire that the home office sent me on October 1

Maazkay09
Pakistan

Post by Maazkay09 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm

My friend has been refused for his naturalisation application last year based on overstaying and working while he was an overstayer.
Now he is thinking to apply for reconsideration.
Is he still legible to apply after a year of rejection decision?
Just to ascertain an idea from well knowledgeable gurus here, you think he will have any chance in his favour.
He became a refugee in 2014. He wants to explain the reasons for overstaying and working during this period in his reconsideration letter.
Thank you in advance for the help.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:37 pm

Maazkay09 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm
My friend has been refused for his naturalisation application last year based on overstaying and working while he was an overstayer.
Now he is thinking to apply for reconsideration.
Is he still legible to apply after a year of rejection decision?
Just to ascertain an idea from well knowledgeable gurus here, you think he will have any chance in his favour.
He became a refugee in 2014. He wants to explain the reasons for overstaying and working during this period in his reconsideration letter.
Thank you in advance for the help.
Unlikely to succeed if he worked during his overstay. Better to wait for ten years of legal residence before reapplying.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

golmar101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

REFUSAL

Post by golmar101 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I applied for citizenship 30th September 2020 and I received an email that I have been refused due to good character .

This is my time line
-OCT 2002-ARRIVED IN U.K STUDENT VISA
-EXTENDED MY VISA TILL 2015
MAY 2012- GOT MARRIED
DEC 2016- EEA 5 YEARS VISA GRANTED
MAR 2019-EU SETTLED STATUS GRANTED
SEP 2020- APPLICATION FOR BC
NOV 2020-REFUSAL FOR BC-based on the overstaying from 2005

I have studied up till Doctorate level I own my consultancy firm and am generally doing great financially.
The letter sent states that because I got married May 2012 it has not reached 10 years of qualifying period so from what I understand they want me to wait till May 2022.

However I've been with my wife ( Living together-as per EU LAW) from February 2010 ok I'm not a legal head but I do think I qualify as per the 10 year rule. I also have sufficient documents to prove this- pics, bills ,bank statement and all of that.

What are my options now?
DO I GO FOR RECONSIDERATION
DO I WAIT TILL MAY 2022 TO APPLY
CAN I TAKE THIS TO COURT I PREFER TO DEAL WITH IMMIGRATION MATTERS IN COURT just from experience.

Board members and legal minds please do advice. I will paste me refusal letter if any wants to see.

thanks
Golmar
-

golmar101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by golmar101 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I applied for citizenship 30th September 2020 and I received an email that I have been refused due to good character .

This is my time line
-EXTENDED MY VISA TILL 2005
MAY 2012- GOT MARRIED

I have studied up till Doctorate level I own my consultancy firm and am generally doing great financially.
The letter sent states that because I got married May 2012 it has not reached 10 years of qualifying period so from what I understand they want me to wait till May 2022.

However I've been with my wife ( Living together-as per EU LAW) from February 2010 ok I'm not a legal head but I do think I qualify as per the 10 year rule. I also have sufficient documents to prove this- pics, bills ,bank statement and all of that.

What are my options now?
CAN I TAKE THIS TO COURT I PREFER TO DEAL WITH IMMIGRATION MATTERS IN COURT just from experience.

Board members and legal minds please do advice. I will paste me refusal letter if any wants to see.

thanks
Golmar
-
nb- please excuse my error I had valid student visa from 2002-2005 not 2015

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pm

golmar101 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Hello Everyone,

This is my time line
MAY 2012- GOT MARRIED

What are my options now?

thanks
Golmar
-
Unmarried partner of an EU citizen does not count as legal residence. You had no status in the UK at that time. Unmarried partners have no automatic rights under the EU regulations.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

golmar101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by golmar101 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:00 pm

re-Unmarried partner of an EU citizen does not count as legal residence. You had no status in the UK at that time. Unmarried partners have no automatic rights under the EU regulations.

Thanks for the update, but I have seen people being granted EEA residence permits on the basis of being an unmarried partner of an EU national, so now am slightly confused

Thanks though

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:24 pm

golmar101 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:00 pm
re-Unmarried partner of an EU citizen does not count as legal residence. You had no status in the UK at that time. Unmarried partners have no automatic rights under the EU regulations.

Thanks for the update, but I have seen people being granted EEA residence permits on the basis of being an unmarried partner of an EU national, so now am slightly confused

Thanks though
Yes and their legal residence only starts counting from the date the RC is issued, not before.

Your residence started counting from the date you got married as you did not have an RC as an unmarried partner of an EU citizen under the EU rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

golmar101
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by golmar101 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 pm

ahh i get it now.. thanks a lot I will have to wait till 2022.. long wait but it seems like that's what I have to do.. Thanks a lot

Trizzo
Newly Registered
Malawi

Post by Trizzo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 am

golmar101 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
Hello Everyone,

This is my time line
MAY 2012- GOT MARRIED

What are my options now?

thanks
Golmar
-

I have recently had a refused citizenship application due to good character

Reasons for decision
One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country.
This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on www.gov.uk
For the purposes of Naturalisation as a British Citizen, we would not normally consider someone who has been in breach of the immigration laws at any time during the 10 years immediately prior to their application as being of Good Character. This includes where someone has failed to take reasonable steps to ensure they remain compliant with immigration laws.
Your application was decided on 3rd July 2020 and so the 10 year period is from 3rd July 2010 to 3rd July 2020
You were in the United Kingdom without permission and were therefore non- compliant between 28th February 2003, when your leave to remain expired, until you became compliant on 3rd December 2011, when you next made submitted an application for leave to remain/indefinite leave to remain. You were therefore an overstayer for 7 years 7 months, and therefore your applicaton is refused on a breach.

Has anyone had the £80 citizenship refunded yet?

I understand why it was refused I’ll wait till December 2021 and try again. Please advise whether there have been any successful applications following a refusal.

Thank you all.

Usman786000
Newly Registered

Post by Usman786000 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:09 pm

Nikmishin wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:54 am
Usman786000 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:44 am
Hello
Does anyone apply for naturalisation reconsideration recently? I send my form on 12 August 2020 and I’m still waiting. They didn’t take money from my account and no confirmation of receiving. Can someone please share their reconsideration timeframe.
Thanks
I’m sorry Usman, but you’re in for a long long wait. I applied for reconsideration in April 2019 and only got the approval email 2 weeks ago. It took the Home Office around 17 months! I got an acknowledgement of receipt letter in June 2019 And I think they took the money within 3 weeks. Hopefully yours will be quicker as my application was affected by Covid19 lockdown. And after all this time I’m still waiting to find out when I might be able to do my ceremony as my council are still doing their risk assessment.
Hello Nikmishin
My lawyer has received a check of £292 from home office. I’m still waiting for any news from home office but still it’s just a check dated 21/1/21. Is that mean my reconsideration request has been accepted?

Maxmilan

Post by Maxmilan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 pm

[quote=Usman786000 post_id=1992751 time=1614020978 user_id=206423]
[quote=Nikmishin post_id=1926924 time=1598172858 user_id=215280]
[quote=Usman786000 post_id=1926923 time=1598172291 user_id=206423]
Hello
Does anyone apply for naturalisation reconsideration recently? I send my form on 12 August 2020 and I’m still waiting. They didn’t take money from my account and no confirmation of receiving. Can someone please share their reconsideration timeframe.
Thanks
[/quote]

I’m sorry Usman, but you’re in for a long long wait. I applied for reconsideration in April 2019 and only got the approval email 2 weeks ago. It took the Home Office around 17 months! I got an acknowledgement of receipt letter in June 2019 And I think they took the money within 3 weeks. Hopefully yours will be quicker as my application was affected by Covid19 lockdown. And after all this time I’m still waiting to find out when I might be able to do my ceremony as my council are still doing their risk assessment.
[/quote]

Hello Nikmishin
My lawyer has received a check of £292 from home office. I’m still waiting for any news from home office but still it’s just a check dated 21/1/21. Is that mean my reconsideration request has been accepted?
[/quote]

Hi Usman
Congradulation to you yes it means that your reconsideration request has been successful.

Usman786000
Newly Registered

Post by Usman786000 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 pm

Hi Maxmilan
Thank you for your message and In Shaa Allah I’ll get some reply soon. It’s dated 21/1/21 so not sure when the decision was made. From reading other comments, it looks like home office is processing December approvals and sending invitation letters now.

tush1822
Newly Registered

Post by tush1822 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am

Hi all my citizenship application is rejected with following reasons.

Reasons for decision
Your application has been considered under section 6(1) of the British
Nationality Act 1981.
An applicant under this provision is expected to meet certain residential
requirements which are set out at www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen.
Your application was received on 27 December 2020. As you were subject to a
time limit on your stay in the United Kingdom until 8 September 2020, you do
not meet the requirement to have been free from any time restrictions on your
stay for the whole of the twelve months prior to your application. The Secretary
of State has considered waiving your failure to meet this requirement but cannot
find sufficient grounds to do so and your application has therefore been refused.
If you still wish to become a British citizen a fresh application will be required. It
is open to you to re-apply at any time, but you may wish to note that an
application made before 8 September 2021 is unlikely to be successful.

As explained in our schedule of fees, the application fee for British citizenship is
not refundable and has been retained to cover the cost of handling and
processing your application.
Arrangements are being made to return the sum of £80.00 which is refunded as
unsuccessful applicants are not required to attend a citizenship ceremony.

Following are the details of my ILR.
ILR route- Tier 2 General, Shortage of Occupation, 5 years
ILR issue date- 3rd Jan 2020
Citizenship Application Submitted:- 27th Dec 2020
Citizenship Biometric Submission :- 28th Jan 2021

I am not understanding any reference of 8th September 2020. I tried my best to check all my previous visas and application. Didnt able find the reason. Appreciate the help.

Regards
Tushar

Vermont
Newly Registered

Post by Vermont » Wed May 26, 2021 10:03 am

tush1822 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am
As you were subject to a time limit on your stay in the United Kingdom until 8 September 2020, you do not meet the requirement to have been free from any time restrictions on your stay for the whole of the twelve months prior to your application.
"Being subject to a time limit on your stay" means that you have time-limited visa, like Tier 2, that says for how long you can stay in the UK.

"Begin free from time restrictions on your stay" means that you can stay in the UK permanently, e.g. you have ILR. They are saying there that you obtained your ILR on 8 September 2020.

Mahmoodshaikhani
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Mahmoodshaikhani » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 am

Hi members
I applied for my naturalisation in Dec 2020 and received a refusal on 4 May 2021 with a reason of excessive absences which was due to covid travel restriction. In the last 12 months of Application. I have applied for reconsideration through my solicitors on 3 rd June withe all the supporting evidences. I would like to know that should i request my MP to send a supporting letter to home office to consider my application need your advise thanks

Maxmilan

Post by Maxmilan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:38 am

[quote=Mahmoodshaikhani post_id=2016888 time=1624327355 user_id=179296]
Hi members
I applied for my naturalisation in Dec 2020 and received a refusal on 4 May 2021 with a reason of excessive absences which was due to covid travel restriction. In the last 12 months of Application. I have applied for reconsideration through my solicitors on 3 rd June withe all the supporting evidences. I would like to know that should i request my MP to send a supporting letter to home office to consider my application need your advise thanks
[/quote]

Hi Mahmood
To be honest MP do nothing for you. Do not push the HO. Normally reconsideration takes time between one to two years. If it takes more than two years then send a Pre-action protocol letter to the HO. Hope they reconsider your application and send the result to you soon but be patient.

Thanks- Maxmilan-22/06/21

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 am

Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:02 am
Hi members
Did you provide any explanation for excessive absences in your application or a cover letter, any supporting documents if you have any? Case workers would normally exercise discretion over excessive absences due to COVID providing you've supplied details for your circumstances etc and any supporting evidence. You're better off submitting a new application, if you've got £1349.20 to spare, than filing for reconsideration or better still re-apply whenever you can bring yourself with the requirement, May next year or whenever that is in your case.

Mahmoodshaikhani
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Mahmoodshaikhani » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm

Yes i have submitted all the documents work related, travel restrictions from Dubai due to lockdown and also my return bookings from Dubai to UK.

Mahmoodshaikhani
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Mahmoodshaikhani » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:52 pm

dexmo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 am
Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Hi members
Did you provide any explanation for excessive absences in your application or a cover letter, any supporting documents if you have any? Case workers would normally exercise discretion over excessive absences due to COVID providing you've supplied details for your circumstances etc and any supporting evidence. You're better off submitting a new application, if you've got £1349.20 to spare, than filing for reconsideration or better still re-apply whenever you can bring yourself with the requirement, May next year or whenever that is in your case.
Yes i have submitted all the documents work related, travel restrictions from Dubai due to lockdown and also my return bookings from Dubai to UK.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:52 pm
dexmo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:14 am
Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Hi members
What dates were you absent and what is the total number of days in the last 12 months?

Flights were still operating between dubai and the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm
So you travelled for work? Was this as part of your employment with a UK-based company? An important element that may have been a factor in the caseworker's decision to refuse your application, if this was not related to your employment in the UK.

dexmo

Post by dexmo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 pm

dexmo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
So you travelled for work? Was this as part of your employment with a UK-based company? An important element that may have been a factor in the caseworker's decision to refuse your application, if this was not related to your employment in the UK.
Note also that discretion over excessive absences in your final year of the qualifying period will only be exercised if you can demonstrate strong links with the UK, i.e. family, employment, home etc.

Mahmoodshaikhani
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Mahmoodshaikhani » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 pm

dexmo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:35 pm
dexmo wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Mahmoodshaikhani wrote:
Note also that discretion over excessive absences in your final year of the qualifying period will only be exercised if you can demonstrate strong links with the UK, i.e. family, employment, home etc.

I moved my family on family visa last year in september and they are now going school here in UK and i have my employement here since 2014

Last year when i travelled to Dubai i was planning to bring my family to UK in March but suddenly the covid restrictions started and home office was not working so couldnt apply for them and even couldnt leave them in Dubai with the covid situation. I applied for them the moment home office was working and we came together to UK in september.

My last year absences we more tgan 180 days.

In my reconsideration i have mentioned all the details in the covering letter

What is the expected timeline for teconsideration or anyone else have gone through a similiar situation