ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Separating While Waiting for SET(M) Approval and Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Separating While Waiting for SET(M) Approval and Naturalisation

Post by Betina » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 pm

Dear Moderators and CULLINAN,

I have been a silent reader, thank you so much for the support you are providing.

I applied for Set(M) on 01/09/2020 being married to British Citizen and attended in-person appointment on 14/09/2020. We had so many problems during the 5 years of our marriage but did not get to divorce. At the time of submitting my application we had no intention to split up. However, this week (after 6 weeks of my ILR application submission) we just feel that it is not possible to carry on in this marriage and we are considering divorce.

My questions:
1- If I get my ILR approved in the next few days/weeks/months, will they revoke this from me or do they rather consider that we were really married when I submitted my application?
2- If ILR is approved soon and we will be still married and living together when I apply for naturalisation and then split after I apply. Will this be a problem?
3- do I need my husband consent and declaration signature for naturalisation same like the declaration form for ILR or is it just simpler and only few documents will be needed including a copy of husband's passport?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Separating While Waiting for SET(M) Approval and Naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:55 pm

I am not an expert on the ILR application rules and requirements so can only comment on point 3:
3- do I need my husband consent and declaration signature for naturalisation same like the declaration form for ILR or is it just simpler and only few documents will be needed including a copy of husband's passport?
Naturalisation is under nationality law, not immigration regulations, so different requirements.
The application is personal to you and you don't need permission from your husband. You can apply in your own right (5 years residency), or as a spouse of British citizen (3 years residency). In the latter case you would need a copy of his British passport and the marriage certificate.
Refer to the guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Betina wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:00 pm
Dear Moderators and CULLINAN,

I have been a silent reader, thank you so much for the support you are providing.

I applied for Set(M) on 01/09/2020 being married to British Citizen and attended in-person appointment on 14/09/2020. We had so many problems during the 5 years of our marriage but did not get to divorce. At the time of submitting my application we had no intention to split up. However, this week (after 6 weeks of my ILR application submission) we just feel that it is not possible to carry on in this marriage and we are considering divorce.

My questions:
1- If I get my ILR approved in the next few days/weeks/months, will they revoke this from me or do they rather consider that we were really married when I submitted my application?
2- If ILR is approved soon and we will be still married and living together when I apply for naturalisation and then split after I apply. Will this be a problem?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
1) As long you were married and had the intention to carry on with the marriage at your date of application you are fine. Your husband signed the consent declaration anyways. Divorce proceedings can take long anyways.

2) You are free after ILR. Not anymore a dependent on your husband (for immigration related applications).

3) As @Alterhase58 said, if you wait 12 months on your own ILR, you can apply for Naturalisation in your own right (given you get ILR first). You do not need your husband’s documents or consent then.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am

@CULLINAN and @alterhase58

Many thanks for your prompt answers. This is very helpful.

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:49 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 pm

1) As long you were married and had the intention to carry on with the marriage at your date of application you are fine. Your husband signed the consent declaration anyways. Divorce proceedings can take long anyways.

2) You are free after ILR. Not anymore a dependent on your husband (for immigration related applications).

3) As @Alterhase58 said, if you wait 12 months on your own ILR, you can apply for Naturalisation in your own right (given you get ILR first). You do not need your husband’s documents or consent then.
Dear CULLINAN

I have one more questions:

1- What if one of us move out from the house shortly (before SET(M) application decision), should I inform the Home Office of the separation? Would this affect my SET(M) application?

2- If my husband calls the Home Office and try to withdraw the application. Would he be able to do so?

Thank you very much in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:57 pm

1) No. Separation is not divorce.

2) Yes. If he calls or contacts HO that the relationship has broken down, it could cause problems but it is up to HO what they decide then. He can not withdraw the application though, he is not the applicant.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:57 pm

2) Yes. If he calls or contacts HO that the relationship has broken down, it could cause problems but it is up to HO what they decide then. He can not withdraw the application though, he is not the applicant.
Thanks CULLINAN.

Not good news as he has the ability to do that.

I thought as long as we were genuinely married and together on 01/09/2020 (date of application), he would not have an impact on the application outcome while awaiting for decision? Please correct me if I am wrong.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Betina wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Thanks CULLINAN.

I thought as long as we were genuinely married and together on 01/09/2020 (date of application), he would not have an impact on the application outcome while awaiting for decision? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Technically yes, but if he calls HO and withdraws his consent (not the application), HO has the final discretion how to take it forward.

Since, your decision is not made yet, although a separation, or living separately at this point will not have any impact as you met all the requirements at the date of application, however, him contacting HO and withdrawing his consent may do some damage.

However, I know someone who had a similar situation, the HO was contacted but they still went ahead and processed the ILR (it is purely HO’s discretion). Your husband can only contact HO but has no control over HO’s discretion/decision.

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:29 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm
Betina wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Thanks CULLINAN.

Technically yes, but if calls HO and withdraws his consent (not the application), HO has the final discretion how to take it forward.

Since, your decision is not made yet, although a separation, or living separately at this point will not have any impact as you met all the requirements at the date of application, however, him contacting HO and withdrawing his consent may do some damage.

However, I know someone who had a similar situation, the HO was contacted but they still went ahead and processed the ILR (it is purely HO’s discretion). Your husband can only contact HO but has no control over HO’s discretion/decision.
Massive thank you CILLINAN.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:31 pm

How long have you been in UK? Do you by any chance qualify on 10 year LR route?

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:31 pm
9 years and 4 month :/

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:44 pm

Betina wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Stay positive and hopefully you both can sort it out. Good luck.

Betina
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Betina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:32 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:44 pm
Betina wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:43 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Stay positive and hopefully you both can sort it out. Good luck.
Thank you very much 🙏