ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Financial requirements for marriage permission to remain (Stamp 4)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Fleurie
Newly Registered
United States of America

Financial requirements for marriage permission to remain (Stamp 4)

Post by Fleurie » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Hello all,

I'm a master's student currently studying in Ireland on a Stamp 2 permission to remain. My Irish partner of a few years and I are getting married soon (if the pandemic doesn't make us delay again) and I had planned to go to immigration afterwards and get onto a Stamp 4.

However, my partner was self employed and had to shut his business as a result of the pandemic -- he has been out of work for most of the year. Between my funding and savings we've been doing fine, but I just realised to my horror that we're going to be short of the 40,000 income requirement he would need to sponsor me.

I'm finding conflicting answers online, and I would love if someone could answer definitively (and recently) because I know the immigration law has changed in the past few years.

My questions:
1) Do we need to satisfy the 40,000 requirement given the fact that I am legally resident already and am financially able to be self-supporting?

2) Since we are one household already, we've been living off a combined income. Would my income count towards the required amount? Because we would be fine if so.

3) Some information seems to say you can go to immigration and get a Stamp 4 that same day provided you have the right documentation. But then it seems to refer to a long application. Is the long application only for people who look suspicious? Or is the Stamp 4 just temporary and everyone needs to await the results of the long application?

4) I had been under the impression that a Stamp 4 lasted 3 years, but I'm seeing quite a few people talk about it only lasting one year. Is this something we have to keep doing on a yearly basis?

Thank you so much for your patience if you've been reading this far. ❤️

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Re: Financial requirements for marriage permission to remain (Stamp 4)

Post by avro1959 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Are you an American citizen? Ireland has a curious process for stamp 4 applications that centers around their determination if you're in a sham marriage. Typically if you're from a low-risk country such as the US, Canada, or other developed countries, you can book an appointment with the Burgh Quay Registration Office (BQRO) and apply for the stamp 4 in person, and you will likely get a stamp 4 on the spot, with minimal documentation. You won't need to prove income, just take yours and your spouse's passports, marriage certificate, and proof of address.

If you're from any Asian country, they tend to assume the worst and whether you get a stamp 4 on the same day is a roll of the dice. It's possible they will ask you to submit a full application, including proof of income.

I'm Canadian and my wife is Irish - we live in Canada and during our last visit to Ireland, we booked an appointment with the BQRO so I could apply for a stamp 4. The officer didn't even look at us or ask us a single question. Took our documents, typed away, and 20 minutes later I had a stamp 4 in my passport valid for three years. I've detailed my experience in this post - apologies for the wordiness.
ireland/experience-applying-for-stamp-4 ... 97226.html

jlad

Post by jlad » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:31 pm

not sure how true it is if you get less hassle for being American or Canadian for example, i am from asia myself and had no hassle at all last year when registering with my Irish spouse and got stamp 4 on the spot for 3 years in burgh quay. Only provided passports, bank statement and marriage certificate as this is what was being mentioned when I emailed in advance what doc was required to attend. Had a chat with officer at the booth while he was typing away on his computer and viola all done within 15-20 minutes. I wouldnt worry too much if I were you.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:04 pm

Ireland is a civilized country that does not discriminate on a basis of nationality or ethnic background.
In fact, most US citizens are now considered high-risk visitors and are currently banned from most countries.

You can be from Pakistan, United States or Russia and be treated the same. Your application for permission to remain in the country will be reviewed in accordance with the law, regardless of your nationality, religion or ethnicity.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm

avro1959 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 pm
You won't need to prove income, just take yours and your spouse's passports, marriage certificate, and proof of address.
You're missing the point. OP is not an EU-citizen, and they're not married yet, therefore will have to prove to the Registrar office that it' not going to be a marriage of convenience.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pm

Fleurie wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:33 pm
My questions:
1) Do we need to satisfy the 40,000 requirement given the fact that I am legally resident already and am financially able to be self-supporting?

2) Since we are one household already, we've been living off a combined income. Would my income count towards the required amount? Because we would be fine if so.

3) Some information seems to say you can go to immigration and get a Stamp 4 that same day provided you have the right documentation. But then it seems to refer to a long application. Is the long application only for people who look suspicious? Or is the Stamp 4 just temporary and everyone needs to await the results of the long application?

4) I had been under the impression that a Stamp 4 lasted 3 years, but I'm seeing quite a few people talk about it only lasting one year. Is this something we have to keep doing on a yearly basis?

Thank you so much for your patience if you've been reading this far. ❤️

1) I could be wrong on this, but since you're already resident, you might be able to get married to your partner and change your permission to Stamp 4 after that without meeting 40000 euro requirement. You will have to prove that your relationship is genuine (meaning you're not marrying your partner only to obtain a permission to remain in the State) and give notice of your marriage well in advance.

2) Have no idea to be honest.

3) If you get married, you will then be able to change your permission as a spouse of an Irish citizen. This process is pretty straightforward.

4) First stamp will be for three years or until the expiration date on your passport.

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Post by avro1959 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Vorona wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:24 pm
avro1959 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:08 pm
You won't need to prove income, just take yours and your spouse's passports, marriage certificate, and proof of address.
You're missing the point. OP is not an EU-citizen, and they're not married yet, therefore will have to prove to the Registrar office that it' not going to be a marriage of convenience.
Yes, but OP intends to apply for stamp 4 after marriage. This is completely at the discretion of the officer - they could ask a few questions to establish the credibility of the applicants, or if something smells fishy, they could just direct the applicants to submit the full application.

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Post by avro1959 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 pm

Vorona wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:04 pm
Ireland is a civilized country that does not discriminate on a basis of nationality or ethnic background.
In fact, most US citizens are now considered high-risk visitors and are currently banned from most countries.
This is the funniest comment I've read all day. There are countless anecdotes available online and through first-hand experiences that support the fact that certain nationalities are treated differently and with more suspicion. When I lived in Ireland 8 years ago, this was routine. I had Nepali and Pakistani friends who were redirected to the longer process and at the same time had American and Canadian friends that had zero issues in getting a stamp 4 on the spot. I find it hard to believe that's just a coincidence. Perhaps things have changed since then, but I doubt it.

US citizens are only considered high-risk because of COVID, not because they're particularly inclined to have marriages of convenience.

All things considered, OP should go ahead with the BQRO appointment (once the office resumes) and allow the officer to make the decision.

avro1959
Mood:
Canada

Post by avro1959 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:27 pm

jlad wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:31 pm
not sure how true it is if you get less hassle for being American or Canadian for example, i am from asia myself and had no hassle at all last year when registering with my Irish spouse and got stamp 4 on the spot for 3 years in burgh quay. Only provided passports, bank statement and marriage certificate as this is what was being mentioned when I emailed in advance what doc was required to attend. Had a chat with officer at the booth while he was typing away on his computer and viola all done within 15-20 minutes. I wouldnt worry too much if I were you.
I'm happy you had that experience but I've heard otherwise from some of my friends and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Vorona
- thin ice -
Ireland

Post by Vorona » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 am

8 years in Canada is solid enough excuse for your lack of reality and doubts :mrgreen:

jlad

Post by jlad » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 am

I have none but all good experiences when dealing with irish immigration. Now I am not too sure if it is down to me being a non visa required national at all (although sometimes I feel like it is) but on my visit last year in Burgh Quay, I had a good chat with the officer when he was taking my fingerprints etc and even after I finished we were still chatting away for a couple of minutes and he welcomed me to the country and asked me to enjoy Dublin and Ireland. What a gent! On the other hand the lad next to me in the same room whom I assume is Vietnamese (by looks of his passport) he was being questioned about reason to stay in ireland etc before fingerprinting. Again I am not saying this is a norm, who knows officer was just trying to verify something.

All in all, I feel OP shouldn't be worried about it and gather what you have and as long as you are genuine there really shouldn't be much to be worried about. Best of luck!