ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA resident: Naturalisation application for self employed with very low income

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cubeen
Newly Registered
Poland

EEA resident: Naturalisation application for self employed with very low income

Post by cubeen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi,
Apologies if simiar has already been posted
I am a bit concerned about a possibility of my naturalisation application being rejected due to inability to demonstrate presence in the UK last 5 consecutive years (as evidence of activity from the last 5 years required if passport not stampled at the border)
Details of my application:
EEA Permanent residency document issued 2011 (9 years ago)
employed in the last 3 years (2018-2020)
self employed in the 2 previous years (2016-2017) with virtually no income from self employment in 2016 . Registered as self employed with voluntary NI contributions paid for that year though.

Is my application likely to get rejected because of no income in 2016 despite residing in the UK all this time? Does the fact that i hold EEA permanent residency document for 9 years affect my application?

I would be very grateful for any advice or direction.

Thanks,
cubeen

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EEA resident: Naturalisation application for self employed with very low income

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Naturalisation is not based on income levels or amount of tax/NI paid - indeed one could be unemployed.
Provide your P60s for employment and your self-assessment returns for self-employment, as evidence of residency for the past five years (back from the application date). Your Permanent Residence document is required for the application as proof of freedom from immigration restrictions - however the length of holding it is not relevant (held mine for 30+ years!). There doesn't appear to be any reason why you shouldn't be approved providing you satisfy all the other requirements such as absences, good character, etc.
Refer to guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: EEA resident: Naturalisation application for self employed with very low income

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:02 pm

In many countries, proof of income / not burden on welfare is required to get naturalised. It's not the case in the UK. You can potentially get naturalised without even working.

Are you Polish? I mean EEA national?

As an EU national, you are not subjected to immigration control. It means, you go in and out the UK without leaving too much trail.

Now, how are you going to prove 5 years residency? With a dormant LTD, it will be hard.

cubeen
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by cubeen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Thanks very much to both of you for a quick response.
@alterhase58 I am mostly concerned about my inability to prove my presence in the UK for a period when being self employed and not generating any income (being registered and paying NI contributtions might perhaps be not good enough- any comment on that anyone?)
Now, how are you going to prove 5 years residency? With a dormant LTD, it will be hard.
@Zerubbabel This is my point exactly, it is easy to be done with employment or whilst issuing invoices being self employed. For the dormant period not much evidence I could provide. I guess home office would not be interested in seeing my bank statements etc.
And yup Im Polish, the flag was a bit of a giveway, wasnt it?

This would be similar to being self sufficient which then requires private medical cover. Unless it doesnt since I already have EEA resident status?

Any thoughts on that please?

And i foolishly believed it was straightforward :roll:

Thanks for your input in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am

When you were self-employed did you submit any self-assessment tax returns? Those should be sufficient for the period in question to prove residency.
Alternatively you could use Council Tax bills, HMRC communications, DWP pensions/child benefit, NHS letters and other official communications/documents, covering any gaps. As you say bank statements are not accepted.
Regarding CSI - as you hold PR you are "free from immigration restrictions" so you didn't need private insurance, you didn't even need to exercise treaty rights.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

cubeen
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by cubeen » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:40 am

Wow this forum is amazing with responsive users posting coherent and relevant content. I wish I had similar experience in my professional life.

@alterhase58
Thanks very much for getting back
When you were self-employed did you submit any self-assessment tax returns? Those should be sufficient for the period in question to prove residency.
I have- with a single low value invoice as income for that year- totally insufficent to get by for the whole year. This is why I assumed further evidence of my presence in the UK might be required (not that I agree with the reasoning that more business activity spread throughout the year, reflected on HMRC self assessment tax return, should serve as a proof of being present in the UK .Technically one might be providing services from outside the UK).

I will check if i have any other evidence for that year but am affraid only HMRC Self Assessment might be the case there as I tend to discard of "unnecessary" papers. My minimalism might finally come back and bite me. :wink:

Once again thanks for responding.